Considering a shoal of peaceful tetras - Page 3
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Characins » Considering a shoal of peaceful tetras

Considering a shoal of peaceful tetras

This is a discussion on Considering a shoal of peaceful tetras within the Characins forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> Amusingly, I would actually say the Serpaes do more running from the Cories than the other way around. I've seen on a few occasions ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Cardinal Tetra
Cardinal Tetra
Black Phantom Tetra
Black Phantom Tetra
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Considering a shoal of peaceful tetras
Old 08-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #21
eug
 
eug's Avatar
 
Amusingly, I would actually say the Serpaes do more running from the Cories than the other way around. I've seen on a few occasions how a Cory, seemingly without any aggressive intent, maybe just to say hello or just being playful, swims towards a group of tetras only for the tetras to get freaked out and swim away, with the Cory chasing it back and forth for a little while! It's more amusing than anything else.

It was just that the Serpaes certainly have more potential to do harm back with their small teeth, is the only reason I was slightly concerned. I'll just keep observing closely - it relieves me to read that you guys think this is normal.
eug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #22
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Cories are so sweet, mine have never done anything mean or wrong before.

Sounds like your fish are having a fun time getting know each other!
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #23
eug
 
eug's Avatar
 
I love how my thread title wanted "peaceful" and I've ended up getting the most controversial tetras there are!

Anyway more about this hunter-killer instinct: I've only observed Serpaes (it could be just one individual, or it could be different fish at different times) try to sneak up on a lone Cory from behind in one particular part of the tank. There is a "dark alley" of sorts to the right of the large bogwood, where often a cory or two will be sitting idly in the shade. I've seen multiples times today how a Serpae would come down this alley in a stalking manner, and in the last instant go in to try to get a piece of the tail fin. I have yet to see any physical damage to any of the Cories, but this displeases me greatly nonetheless.

I would suppose that this is the only part of the tank where the Cories don't have any real cover from plants or wood, so maybe I can think of something. It's not very convenient for planting because it's a 1 inch gap with hardly any light.

Last edited by eug; 08-22-2012 at 01:25 PM..
eug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #24
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eug View Post
I love how my thread title wanted "peaceful" and I've ended up getting the most controversial tetras there are!

Anyway more about this hunter-killer instinct: I've only observed Serpaes (it could be just one individual, or it could be different fish at different times) try to sneak up on a lone Cory from behind in one particular part of the tank. There is a "dark alley" of sorts to the right of the large bogwood, where often a cory or two will be sitting idly in the shade. I've seen multiples times today how a Serpae would come down this alley in a stalking manner, and in the last instant go in to try to get a piece of the tail fin. I have yet to see any physical damage to any of the Cories, but this displeases me greatly nonetheless.

I would suppose that this is the only part of the tank where the Cories don't have any real cover from plants or wood, so maybe I can think of something. It's not very convenient for planting because it's a 1 inch gap with hardly any light.
This is a spot to build a bit of a cave or tunnel, with wood or rock. The corys will readily rest in such crevices, but the tetra are unlikely to follow if it is not large.

Keep an eye on this; as someone suggested it may be "settling in" and ease off. But if it does not, I would remove the corys (or the Serpae, whichever). This sort of constant badgering is very stressful. And stress is the prime cause of almost all health issues.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:15 AM   #25
eug
 
eug's Avatar
 
I moved the log further to the edge of the tank, hoping that the space will be too narrow for the Serpaes to enter, but it hasn't done much to discourage them from patrolling that area.

One particular tetra (I suspect this is the same one who was stalking and hunting yesterday) has set up camp today at the front right of the tank, and attacks anything, tetra or cory, that enters his realm. I managed to capture a cory naively entering the serpae's territory. The serpae doesn't manage to really make contact, but there have been other occasions where the harrassment was more succesful and the cory had to flee quickly to the other side of the tank.
eug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #26
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eug View Post
I moved the log further to the edge of the tank, hoping that the space will be too narrow for the Serpaes to enter, but it hasn't done much to discourage them from patrolling that area.

One particular tetra (I suspect this is the same one who was stalking and hunting yesterday) has set up camp today at the front right of the tank, and attacks anything, tetra or cory, that enters his realm. I managed to capture a cory naively entering the serpae's territory. The serpae doesn't manage to really make contact, but there have been other occasions where the harrassment was more succesful and the cory had to flee quickly to the other side of the tank.
Serpae tetra stalking a Pepper cory - YouTube
It would be good to know if it is just the one tetra doing this, and I guess the only way to determine that is to catch this one and remove it to another temporary tank for a couple days. If none of the others resort to this harrassment, then you can decide what to do with the offender but obviously not return it, as you are not going to alter its instincts. I have had individual fish do this over the years, and sometimes I have had to destroy them. The health of the rest of the tank is more important than the one fish. It really is critical in any aquarium to avoid stress to the fish as much as possible.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #27
eug
 
eug's Avatar
 
I've started making notes, making profiles on the individual fish. Turns out they're not too hard to ID using size and the shapes of their shoulder patches.

I've identified 2 definite offenders. The first is the one in the video defending that bottom right corner unwilling to share it with anybody, and there is a hyper aggressive second offender who runs around generally being a terror, and stays near the middle of the tank. Definitely an alpha-male wannabe.

Another larger one shows territorial behaviour, and has possibly made a move towards a cory, but if the first and second offenders rate 8 and 9 on the aggression scale respectively, the third rates a 6 or so. I'm going to keep taking notes over the course of the week and try to get a profile on each individual fish if I can manage it!
eug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #28
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eug View Post
I've started making notes, making profiles on the individual fish. Turns out they're not too hard to ID using size and the shapes of their shoulder patches.

I've identified 2 definite offenders. The first is the one in the video defending that bottom right corner unwilling to share it with anybody, and there is a hyper aggressive second offender who runs around generally being a terror, and stays near the middle of the tank. Definitely an alpha-male wannabe.

Another larger one shows territorial behaviour, and has possibly made a move towards a cory, but if the first and second offenders rate 8 and 9 on the aggression scale respectively, the third rates a 6 or so. I'm going to keep taking notes over the course of the week and try to get a profile on each individual fish if I can manage it!
Yes. This may still sort itself out.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #29
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Hah, you are dedicated. I can't for the life of me tell any of my fish apart, minus the betta.
How are the cories acting right now?
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #30
eug
 
eug's Avatar
 
They seem to be getting used the harrassment in the sense that they anticipate it better and manage to avoid the tetras most of the time. There is also one tetra who has a scar/scratch across his body near his caudal fin that wasn't there before - either he had a bad scuffle with a colleague, or possibly he got a piece of corydoras fin spine across his body?
eug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wat tetras are peaceful and large nicolaas Characins 4 01-16-2012 05:53 PM
My fish don't school/shoal? tanker Freshwater and Tropical Fish 7 09-12-2010 01:22 AM
do barb species shoal... rye Freshwater and Tropical Fish 1 05-22-2008 03:34 PM
Different Cories in a shoal? Alexis Catfish 19 02-25-2007 08:56 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.