Cardinal vs Neon tetras - Page 3
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Characins » Cardinal vs Neon tetras

Cardinal vs Neon tetras

This is a discussion on Cardinal vs Neon tetras within the Characins forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> Hmmmm, good to know that I can do with just the sponge filter =0) The HOB filter creates too much turbulence. I posted a ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Emperor Tetra
Emperor Tetra
Diamond Tetra
Diamond Tetra
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Cardinal vs Neon tetras
Old 08-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #21
Ami
 
Hmmmm, good to know that I can do with just the sponge filter =0) The HOB filter creates too much turbulence.
I posted a thread to find out how much air needs to be pumped through the sponge filter. The one I have is Hydro-Sponge IV.

I'll get rid of the danios...will see if somebody wants them.
Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:51 AM   #22
 
KuhliLoach's Avatar
 
WAIT! Just a few weeks ago I picked up 12 Cardinal tetras and introduced them to an empty 14 gallon tank (cycled and running for 2+ years straight) with perfect water conditions. They began to die one by one, by the second day I had only 7 left, so I took them all back for a full refund, the pet store was good about it. I had 7 Neon tetras introduced at the exact same time and none off them had problems and I still have them today.

I did some research and have found that many Cardinal Tetras are caught from the wild. These wild caught tetras are very intolerant of a pH change whatsoever. I asked the pet store guy where his distributor got them, and he confirmed that they were from a wild source. He said the Neons I got were from a domesticated source. I've heard much better things about domesticated and bred Cardinals as they have been proven to be much more adaptable to differing conditions (like Neon Tetras).

I would ask your pet store if they are from a wild or Domesticated source, it is a big difference!

Mike
KuhliLoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #23
Ami
 
Thanks for the heads up. I'm only stocking neons and not cardinals.
Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #24
Ami
 
Update...

Hi,
I've been diluting the aquarium water with distilled water. My hardness is 75 ppm (based on color) and pH is 7.6 (since its between 7.2 and 7.8). I was wondering how much more I should dilute since I don't want to make the water too acidic.
Also, my danios are much quieter and hardly eating at all. I haven't found any takers for my danios yet. I was wondering if the water is too soft / low pH for them.
One of the 5 otos has a whigte patch on its back between the eyes and dorsal fin. ???? Wonder if something is worng...its swimming around and eating normally...just looks different from the rest.
The tetras are doing GREAT ! (except for one that died). I got 20 neons and 8 bloodfin tetras now.
Thanks for all your help so far.
~Ami
Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #25
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami View Post
Hi,
I've been diluting the aquarium water with distilled water. My hardness is 75 ppm (based on color) and pH is 7.6 (since its between 7.2 and 7.8). I was wondering how much more I should dilute since I don't want to make the water too acidic.
Also, my danios are much quieter and hardly eating at all. I haven't found any takers for my danios yet. I was wondering if the water is too soft / low pH for them.
One of the 5 otos has a whigte patch on its back between the eyes and dorsal fin. ???? Wonder if something is worng...its swimming around and eating normally...just looks different from the rest.
The tetras are doing GREAT ! (except for one that died). I got 20 neons and 8 bloodfin tetras now.
Thanks for all your help so far.
~Ami
Hardness of 75ppm is 4 dGH, I would not go any lower. This is ideal for the fish mentioned. The pH should eventually lower below 7; monitor it regularly, maybe every few days. It will be natural and willnot harm the fish.

I doubt this is any issue with the danio (can you get a store to take them off your hands?) unless it was the timing--how long has this been lowering? Your pH is not acidic, above 7 is still basic and even a change from 8 to 7 is not going to impact danio. The hardness lowering is more likely to, hence my quesiton.

The oto is something else entirely. Any chance of a photo? If you can catch him motionless.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #26
Ami
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Hardness of 75ppm is 4 dGH, I would not go any lower. This is ideal for the fish mentioned. The pH should eventually lower below 7; monitor it regularly, maybe every few days. It will be natural and willnot harm the fish.

I doubt this is any issue with the danio (can you get a store to take them off your hands?) unless it was the timing--how long has this been lowering? Your pH is not acidic, above 7 is still basic and even a change from 8 to 7 is not going to impact danio. The hardness lowering is more likely to, hence my quesiton.

The oto is something else entirely. Any chance of a photo? If you can catch him motionless.
Hi Byron,
I took about 5 weeks to lower the hardness from a little above 150 ppm to 75 ppm. I was replacing 10 gallons of water at a time. The danios were not eating for the last 3 days or so and were very still at the water surface. I transferred them to my 10 gallon yesterday (it has a 10 gallon sponge filter and some java moss). They are moving around at least. I hope they'd eat since they look really gaunt. I'll get in touch with my LFS to see if they'll take 'em.

I'll get a camera and see if I can catch the oto unawares =0)

On a different note, one of my 2 water lilies had put out a pad to the surface. I was wondering if I should nip it? I put it in the back thinking it was supposed to be a background plant. But the underwater leaves are barely one-fourth of the height of the tank.

Thanks,
Ami

Last edited by Ami; 08-24-2011 at 03:39 PM..
Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #27
Ami
 
I also have 8 glowlight tetras with my 20 neon tetras. I read on the fish profiles that they need soft to 15dGH. Is my water hardness OK...or should I increase it a little?

Thanks,
Ami
Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #28
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
On a different note, one of my 2 water lilies had put out a pad to the surface. I was wondering if I should nip it? I put it in the back thinking it was supposed to be a background plant. But the underwater leaves are barely one-fourth of the height of the tank.
Presumably this is Nymphaea lotus either the red or green variety; it will naturally produce floating leaves, with very few lower leaves. I have two in my 90g and the surface is almost completely covered by the reddish green leaves. There are about 3 or 4 lower leaves. If you trim off the floating leaves as they reach the surface (cut the leaf stem at or close to the rootstock/tuber) they should produce more leaves as a bush and eventually no floaters [this is mentioned in our profile]. I have never done this, as I like the floating leaves. Flowers may occur but only if the floating leaves are always left; mine have not flowered yet, probably due to the gravel substrate being insufficient in nutrients. An enriched substrate is appreciated by these plants.

Quote:
I also have 8 glowlight tetras with my 20 neon tetras. I read on the fish profiles that they need soft to 15dGH. Is my water hardness OK...or should I increase it a little?
The numbers in the profiles for hardness and pH are either the range (example, 5-15 dGH) or the upper limit (example, < 15 dGH which means hardness should be under or "less than" 15d). All these fish occur in water with near-zero hardness so they will not have issues. Even these two species which are today mainly raised commercially do better in soft acidic water; they will be more colourful for one thing, and exhibit natural behaviours and might even consider spawning...though the neon is still tricky to spawn.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #29
Ami
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Presumably this is Nymphaea lotus either the red or green variety; it will naturally produce floating leaves, with very few lower leaves. I have two in my 90g and the surface is almost completely covered by the reddish green leaves. There are about 3 or 4 lower leaves. If you trim off the floating leaves as they reach the surface (cut the leaf stem at or close to the rootstock/tuber) they should produce more leaves as a bush and eventually no floaters [this is mentioned in our profile]. I have never done this, as I like the floating leaves. Flowers may occur but only if the floating leaves are always left; mine have not flowered yet, probably due to the gravel substrate being insufficient in nutrients. An enriched substrate is appreciated by these plants.
The lily I have has dark red leaves. I got laterite mixed into my substrate...so I hope it gives flowers. I was wondering if I let leaves grow on top, it'll prevent light from reaching the plants below. So I'll probably let a 3-4 leaves reach the surface, but lop off the rest. I'll let you know what happens.
Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cardinal tetras smoodgie6 Characins 5 05-28-2011 05:23 PM
Do Neon Tetras school with any other fish (part. Gold Tetras or Harlequin Rasboras)? Akeath Freshwater and Tropical Fish 1 11-09-2009 08:15 PM
Neon, Cardinal Tetras Mirta Characins 4 03-18-2008 11:35 AM
ich on cardinal tetras! superman Tropical Fish Diseases 1 10-25-2007 05:24 PM
Shy cardinal tetras help. arlong1 Characins 2 05-20-2007 06:08 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 PM.