Black Skirt Tetra - one has a bite mark... - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Characins » Black Skirt Tetra - one has a bite mark...

Black Skirt Tetra - one has a bite mark...

This is a discussion on Black Skirt Tetra - one has a bite mark... within the Characins forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> Originally Posted by JordynMurdock Okay, perfect! Thank you for the help! How often are you online here on TFK, Byron? You have helped me ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Black Phantom Tetra
Black Phantom Tetra
Costello or January Tetra
Costello or January Tetra
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Black Skirt Tetra - one has a bite mark...
Old 10-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #11
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordynMurdock View Post
Okay, perfect! Thank you for the help! How often are you online here on TFK, Byron? You have helped me in many of my threads, and I am thankful!
You're most welcome. I am online most days, in the morning and depending upon this and that, through the afternoon. Fridays I usually stay off as I travel by train into Vancouver [I live in Pitt Meadows, about 25 miles outside Vancouver].
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:49 AM   #12
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
You're most welcome. I am online most days, in the morning and depending upon this and that, through the afternoon. Fridays I usually stay off as I travel by train into Vancouver [I live in Pitt Meadows, about 25 miles outside Vancouver].
So it's been 8 days since the last post in this thread. My Black Skirt still looks miserable with his "bite" mark on the underside. It does not look like it has gotten any better. While the other black skirts are swimming around, he is just sitting in the back of the tank. I don't know what to do with him because I feel bad for him just sitting in the tank. I don't have another take to sit him in to heal. I also don't want to medicate my tank with all the healthy ones in there. Any suggestions?!
JordynMurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #13
 
Well, as for not medicating the tank, I understand that. But, it can't hurt if you put some stress guard or something like that in there, right? I don't know if it will help that much, but if it really does reduce stress in fish (I assume it does) it will lower the chance of the fish getting a bacterial infection in the wound, since when fish are stressed their immune systems are weakened. It's better than nothing, I guess, right?
BobtheSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #14
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobtheSnail View Post
Well, as for not medicating the tank, I understand that. But, it can't hurt if you put some stress guard or something like that in there, right? I don't know if it will help that much, but if it really does reduce stress in fish (I assume it does) it will lower the chance of the fish getting a bacterial infection in the wound, since when fish are stressed their immune systems are weakened. It's better than nothing, I guess, right?
Like I said before, with it being only one fish, I don't want to add anything to my tank. I also don't have a different tank. I'm asking for alternate solutions. I don't know what to do with the hurt fish :(
JordynMurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #15
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Can you post a clear photo of this fish? If this is a true bite, aside from keeping a lookout for fungus there is not much you can do. If it is some sort of internal issue, it might be best to destroy the fish to avoid spreading whatever it is. Diagnosing things like this is not easy.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #16
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Can you post a clear photo of this fish? If this is a true bite, aside from keeping a lookout for fungus there is not much you can do. If it is some sort of internal issue, it might be best to destroy the fish to avoid spreading whatever it is. Diagnosing things like this is not easy.
When I get home i will do my best to get a shot of him. Check back here in awhile.
JordynMurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #17
 
Got several shots of him. Sorry for the bad quality pictures. Low light in my room forces me to sky rocket the ISO. Even then I still get a slow shutter speed which takes away from the crispness of the shot. Anyways, here is what he looks like. He also always has poop hanging from him. At least I think its poop.


JordynMurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #18
 
Byron's Avatar
 
I am not much when it comes to diagnosing issues, but I am very skeptical that that is actually from a bite. If I had that fish, I would quickly net it out and destroy it. My biggest fear is health problems spreading.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #19
 
Jbrofish8's Avatar
 
I wonder if you were given epsom salt. Wouldnt that effect pH slightly? or at least hardness?

Thats the only thing I can think of where salt would have an effect on pH since its magnesium sulfate and not NaCl.

Last edited by Jbrofish8; 10-19-2011 at 08:00 PM..
Jbrofish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #20
 
Jbrofish8's Avatar
 
And sorry to see your little fish like that. :( poor little fella.
Jbrofish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bloated/Fat Black Skirt Tetra blacklabel3 Tropical Fish Diseases 6 11-19-2009 08:42 PM
Tetra with bite mark in it harrylouca Characins 3 07-20-2009 06:59 PM
Black Skirt Tetra Aggression Jasey Characins 9 06-17-2008 08:45 AM
Help Breeding my Black Skirt Tetra The Trans Am Kid Fish Breeding 2 02-24-2008 03:21 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.