Black Skirt Tetra - one has a bite mark...
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Characins » Black Skirt Tetra - one has a bite mark...

Black Skirt Tetra - one has a bite mark...

This is a discussion on Black Skirt Tetra - one has a bite mark... within the Characins forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> One of my Black Skirts has some sort of bite mark on the lower part of its body. It is pretty red because I ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Lemon Tetra
Lemon Tetra
False Rummy Nose Tetra
False Rummy Nose Tetra
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Black Skirt Tetra - one has a bite mark...
Old 10-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
 
Black Skirt Tetra - one has a bite mark...

One of my Black Skirts has some sort of bite mark on the lower part of its body. It is pretty red because I think it happened this morning while I was in class. I have had only 3 Black Skirts in the tank because I am currently in the end of cycling it. I actually just went to the store and bought 3 more Black Skirts. When I went to acclimate them, that is when I noticed the bite. I noticed the 3 this morning chasing each other around and maybe they got a little too rough. Now that there are 6 total in the tank, I'm hoping that it will eliminate some of the fin nipping. My 3 starter ones' fins are a little nipped up. So should I be worried about the one who has a bite in him? He seems to be swimming fine around with the others. Should I just let it heal? I added a tiny bit of salt to the tank today (recommended by the fish lady to neutralize my pH a little) I also learned that after I got home that the salt might also serve to heal the fish wound.
JordynMurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
 
Neutralize the PH? erm.. I call BS on that one. It may help with the healing though. What kind of salt did you add?

Yes skirts aka Black Widow tetra need to be in shoals of 6+ or they will likely be quite aggresive. Keeping the water clean is the best thing you can do for the injured fish.
ladayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladayen View Post
Neutralize the PH? erm.. I call BS on that one. It may help with the healing though. What kind of salt did you add?

Yes skirts aka Black Widow tetra need to be in shoals of 6+ or they will likely be quite aggresive. Keeping the water clean is the best thing you can do for the injured fish.
Yeah I looked at her a little weird when she said neutralize the pH..but yeah I added a little bit of the salt that was at the fish store to the tank. I did not buy it, she gave me a little bit in a baggy so I am unsure of the type. My tank is always clean so I hope it will just heal soon. I feel bad for the little guy :(

How long should it take to heal the wound? It was a pretty big chunk that was taken out of his underside. Should it heal quick?
JordynMurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
 
I would guess around a month. Tough to say much though without a picture. Also assuming no infections or fungus sets in.
ladayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
 
Romad's Avatar
 
Can you isolate the injured fish in a sep. tank for now? Your best bet is going to be constant water changes and that would be easier to do in a small tank.

Good luck - I hope he heals well.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
 
I dont have any other tank readily available. :/
Posted via Mobile Device
JordynMurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Fin nipping is common, but I haven't come across actual bites of flesh like you mention. Still, is possible. Another possibility is an internal hemorrhage of some sort, cause unknown, I've seen this. Or some sort of ulcer on the skin. I never treat for these, as without knowing what it is, medications can make things worse.

Clean water is the best remedy. Regular water changes, good water quality. While minimal salt may (or may not) help, I would not use more. Salt in itself is stressful, though this tetra is one of the more robust; still, further stress is further stress. Assuming there are no other soft water species in the tank.

And salt has no connection to pH. Salt is something that does not belong in a freshwater fish tank, except as a specific remedy and then only with certain fish that can tolerate it.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Fin nipping is common, but I haven't come across actual bites of flesh like you mention. Still, is possible. Another possibility is an internal hemorrhage of some sort, cause unknown, I've seen this. Or some sort of ulcer on the skin. I never treat for these, as without knowing what it is, medications can make things worse.

Clean water is the best remedy. Regular water changes, good water quality. While minimal salt may (or may not) help, I would not use more. Salt in itself is stressful, though this tetra is one of the more robust; still, further stress is further stress. Assuming there are no other soft water species in the tank.

And salt has no connection to pH. Salt is something that does not belong in a freshwater fish tank, except as a specific remedy and then only with certain fish that can tolerate it.

Byron.
So since I added a little bit of salt, will that just taper off as I do water changes or will it naturally fade away?
JordynMurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordynMurdock View Post
So since I added a little bit of salt, will that just taper off as I do water changes or will it naturally fade away?
It will reduce as you change the water. That will be OK here.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
It will reduce as you change the water. That will be OK here.
Okay, perfect! Thank you for the help! How often are you online here on TFK, Byron? You have helped me in many of my threads, and I am thankful!
JordynMurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bloated/Fat Black Skirt Tetra blacklabel3 Tropical Fish Diseases 6 11-19-2009 09:42 PM
Tetra with bite mark in it harrylouca Characins 3 07-20-2009 07:59 PM
Black Skirt Tetra Aggression Jasey Characins 9 06-17-2008 09:45 AM
Help Breeding my Black Skirt Tetra The Trans Am Kid Fish Breeding 2 02-24-2008 04:21 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.