My Raphael catfish - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Catfish » My Raphael catfish

My Raphael catfish

This is a discussion on My Raphael catfish within the Catfish forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> Originally Posted by AndrewM21 My pictus cats came in earlier than what I expected so here they are Still waiting on my loaches though ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Twig Catfish
Twig Catfish
Reticulated Cory
Reticulated Cory
Reply
Old 03-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #11
 
mandi85710's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM21 View Post
My pictus cats came in earlier than what I expected so here they are

Still waiting on my loaches though

Pictus - YouTube

I'll be doing some rearranging and what not including adding some real plants & removing the fake decor from the tank but for right now it should feel like home for them.

I love them they are so cute!!! I bet you were surprised when they came early? Well now can't wait to see the loaches!!!

I am in the process of waiting for 2 of my female mollies to drop their fry so I can scoop them out and add them to the fry tank.They are driving me crazy!!! Oh well I guess it's like anyone who has a kid wait wait wait and then pop...lol. But I don't want them to eat most of them so I am watching. The one minute I stop watching they will have them I know it. I went and bought a little catcher that goes around the bottom of the filter it slides over the intake so that no fry will get sucked into it if they happen to be born early in the morning or over night. So at least I know that is taken care of. I also added a bunch more floating plants for them to hide in and some more plants for the bottom as well. So we will see when they come. I really hope it is soon b/c I am really not sleeping well b/c I keep getting up and looking to see if they have had them...lol.

This is my first intentional breeding of them for their fry so I am hoping they turn out well. I counted down the days since they last dropped and it has been 33 days now and I know they say it takes 26-30 days so I think they are just being lazy. Well I am off. Thanks foe the video of the pictus I really love them and they seem happy. Talk to you soon and hopefully the loaches will come in early as well.
mandi85710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
 
AndrewM21's Avatar
 
I was extremely surprised to see them come in earlier considering the fish shipment wasn't suppose to contain this specific fish until Monday. It was great considering the tank had just recently finished cycling fully and the tank was ready to go.

I'm going to be moving them to the 20G tank for more swimming space as soon as I get it cycled and planted and I'll probably get 2 more Pictus since these do better in larger groups rather than smaller ones. They seem happy and eat really well which tells me they are fine in the tank and feel at home.

I'll take a video of them feeding one day, I feed them a combination of Shrimp pellets which they really seem to love and bloodworms. They literally suck the shrimp pellets up in a matter of seconds of them hitting the bottom of the tank, it's a really site to see.

My phone has a night-vision camcorder so I'm going to try and catch my Raphael feeding too. I had the pleasure of watching him feed last night and it was extremely fascinating and I really enjoyed it, it only lasted a few moments but it was pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandi85710 View Post
I love them they are so cute!!! I bet you were surprised when they came early? Well now can't wait to see the loaches!!!

I am in the process of waiting for 2 of my female mollies to drop their fry so I can scoop them out and add them to the fry tank.They are driving me crazy!!! Oh well I guess it's like anyone who has a kid wait wait wait and then pop...lol. But I don't want them to eat most of them so I am watching. The one minute I stop watching they will have them I know it. I went and bought a little catcher that goes around the bottom of the filter it slides over the intake so that no fry will get sucked into it if they happen to be born early in the morning or over night. So at least I know that is taken care of. I also added a bunch more floating plants for them to hide in and some more plants for the bottom as well. So we will see when they come. I really hope it is soon b/c I am really not sleeping well b/c I keep getting up and looking to see if they have had them...lol.

This is my first intentional breeding of them for their fry so I am hoping they turn out well. I counted down the days since they last dropped and it has been 33 days now and I know they say it takes 26-30 days so I think they are just being lazy. Well I am off. Thanks foe the video of the pictus I really love them and they seem happy. Talk to you soon and hopefully the loaches will come in early as well.
AndrewM21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:37 AM   #13
 
mandi85710's Avatar
 
I can imagine. That would be awesome to see him eating at night. Wish my phone had night vision on it. Maybe there is an app I can download...lol. Still waiting on the 3 moms to have their babies. I left the lights of last night and still nothing. They all have major gravid spots and I can see the eyes in my platies belly and she is super square. It's creepy to see them moving in there...lol. So still waiting. Hopefully it will be soon though! Can't wait to see the videos! I am off to bed so ttys!!!



Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM21 View Post
I was extremely surprised to see them come in earlier considering the fish shipment wasn't suppose to contain this specific fish until Monday. It was great considering the tank had just recently finished cycling fully and the tank was ready to go.

I'm going to be moving them to the 20G tank for more swimming space as soon as I get it cycled and planted and I'll probably get 2 more Pictus since these do better in larger groups rather than smaller ones. They seem happy and eat really well which tells me they are fine in the tank and feel at home.

I'll take a video of them feeding one day, I feed them a combination of Shrimp pellets which they really seem to love and bloodworms. They literally suck the shrimp pellets up in a matter of seconds of them hitting the bottom of the tank, it's a really site to see.

My phone has a night-vision camcorder so I'm going to try and catch my Raphael feeding too. I had the pleasure of watching him feed last night and it was extremely fascinating and I really enjoyed it, it only lasted a few moments but it was pretty cool.
mandi85710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #14
 
AndrewM21's Avatar
 
My Lovely loaches arrived today and I finally got them in the tank. I'm fixing to grab a video of how I have the tank setup now (I've made a lot of changes). I'll have it uploaded and on here in the next 15~20 minutes :)
AndrewM21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
 
AndrewM21's Avatar
 

Was pretty difficult to keep up with them, sorry about all the swift movement. I've also added new pictures of the community tank. I'm getting rid of the 3x diamond tetras tomorrow (taking them back to the fish store) and likely going to take the red eye tetra and neon tetra back as well.

I have a 90G tank priced out (just waiting for a good time to buy it) so I can provide more space for the loaches & sharks when they outgrow this tank.

50G FW Tank - 50 gallon Freshwater fish tank

I've also got my new Chiclid tank setup. It's not anything special right now. I've got to get some new stuff added so look for more later on down the road.

20G Chilid tank (In progress) - 20 gallon Freshwater fish tank

Last edited by AndrewM21; 03-22-2012 at 08:13 PM..
AndrewM21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #16
 
jeaninel's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM21 View Post
I'm going to be moving them to the 20G tank for more swimming space as soon as I get it cycled and planted and I'll probably get 2 more Pictus since these do better in larger groups rather than smaller ones. They seem happy and eat really well which tells me they are fine in the tank and feel at home.
Hi AndrewM21,
your Pictus will eventually need a larger tank than the 20 gallon. The 50 or 90 gallon would be good. Mine is in my 6 foot tank and he's close to 6" now.

Those loaches sure are active, aren't they? They are slow growers but will eventually need a 6 foot or larger tank. They get huge.
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #17
 
AndrewM21's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaninel View Post
Hi AndrewM21,
your Pictus will eventually need a larger tank than the 20 gallon. The 50 or 90 gallon would be good. Mine is in my 6 foot tank and he's close to 6" now.

Those loaches sure are active, aren't they? They are slow growers but will eventually need a 6 foot or larger tank. They get huge.
I have a 20G grow out tank for the Pictus cats. The clowns grow like molasses after they hit about 4-6 inches so I have time to plan a new tank for them. By the time they get large enough to require a larger tank the pricing on that size will have dropped drastically

But yes, they are really active. I have the hardest time recording them!
AndrewM21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:59 AM   #18
 
mandi85710's Avatar
 
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM21 View Post
Clowns - YouTube

Was pretty difficult to keep up with them, sorry about all the swift movement. I've also added new pictures of the community tank. I'm getting rid of the 3x diamond tetras tomorrow (taking them back to the fish store) and likely going to take the red eye tetra and neon tetra back as well.

I have a 90G tank priced out (just waiting for a good time to buy it) so I can provide more space for the loaches & sharks when they outgrow this tank.

50G FW Tank - 50 gallon Freshwater fish tank

I've also got my new Chiclid tank setup. It's not anything special right now. I've got to get some new stuff added so look for more later on down the road.

20G Chilid tank (In progress) - 20 gallon Freshwater fish tank


I don't know how you kept up with it at all...lol. That little guy is fast. Very cute though.

I love the set ups in both tanks. My 10G is now filling up with fry. I was so worried with 4 pregnant fish having too many babies to go in it but it is perfect for right now then going to go to the 20 for good soon. Well until I sell then at 2 months old.

My Dalmatian molly little boy I had that was a little over a month old who was the only one I saved from that drop just died. Instead of buying a new type of filter like I was planning too when I got to the store they showed me these sponges that fit over the intake and wont suck up the fry but still suck up the yucky stuff. I tried the whole panty hose thing everyone says to do and it doesnt let the tank be cleaned everything just collects on them.

Long story short I was moving some plants around and must of bumped it and not noticed and went to feed them a little later and saw his head sticking out through the little groove. I was so mad. I also felt horrible.

Now I have 2 mm platy fry that are 29 days old today and mamma is in labor now. I have 26 molly fry left dropped from my silver molly and they are 12 days old now and 16 guppies born yesterday to my fancy female guppy. She ate a lot of her fry b/c I was sleeping.

They are all in the same tank now and the guppies are so tiny but they chase the mollies it is hilarious. I will have to try and make a video of them. I don't think you will be able to see the guppies though bc they are so small and clear. I did end up taking all the gravel out though after losing so many getting squished under it somehow. They all are not hiders though they all are always either at the top or the middle chasing each other around...lol.

Sorry I just so wrote a lot...lol.

I want a 90G tank but my apartment people would probably freak if the saw me bring it in...lol. Bad enough the 30 was brought in at night. I wasn't sneaking though just didn't have anyone to carry it up for me. I am going to get another 20G this week probably.

OK gotta run got to start scooping some fry out before I lose them all. I hope they all make it b/c she is a gold mickey and I can see a gazzilion eyes in her. Kinda like little aliens...lol.

Well again love the new set ups and little guy is adorable!!! Talk to you soon!!!
mandi85710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #19
 
AndrewM21's Avatar
 
What do you do with all of these fish? o_O Lol

I'm moving my 50G community to a 90G soon for my new loaches & blackfins. Unfortunately my stand doesn't support the weight a 90G requires so I'll have to get a new stand too. Looking on graigslist for some good deals but none have came up close to my area yet

Thanks for the compliments by the way. I really appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandi85710 View Post
I don't know how you kept up with it at all...lol. That little guy is fast. Very cute though.

I love the set ups in both tanks. My 10G is now filling up with fry. I was so worried with 4 pregnant fish having too many babies to go in it but it is perfect for right now then going to go to the 20 for good soon. Well until I sell then at 2 months old.

My Dalmatian molly little boy I had that was a little over a month old who was the only one I saved from that drop just died. Instead of buying a new type of filter like I was planning too when I got to the store they showed me these sponges that fit over the intake and wont suck up the fry but still suck up the yucky stuff. I tried the whole panty hose thing everyone says to do and it doesnt let the tank be cleaned everything just collects on them.

Long story short I was moving some plants around and must of bumped it and not noticed and went to feed them a little later and saw his head sticking out through the little groove. I was so mad. I also felt horrible.

Now I have 2 mm platy fry that are 29 days old today and mamma is in labor now. I have 26 molly fry left dropped from my silver molly and they are 12 days old now and 16 guppies born yesterday to my fancy female guppy. She ate a lot of her fry b/c I was sleeping.

They are all in the same tank now and the guppies are so tiny but they chase the mollies it is hilarious. I will have to try and make a video of them. I don't think you will be able to see the guppies though bc they are so small and clear. I did end up taking all the gravel out though after losing so many getting squished under it somehow. They all are not hiders though they all are always either at the top or the middle chasing each other around...lol.

Sorry I just so wrote a lot...lol.

I want a 90G tank but my apartment people would probably freak if the saw me bring it in...lol. Bad enough the 30 was brought in at night. I wasn't sneaking though just didn't have anyone to carry it up for me. I am going to get another 20G this week probably.

OK gotta run got to start scooping some fry out before I lose them all. I hope they all make it b/c she is a gold mickey and I can see a gazzilion eyes in her. Kinda like little aliens...lol.

Well again love the new set ups and little guy is adorable!!! Talk to you soon!!!
AndrewM21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #20
 
mandi85710's Avatar
 
Smile

It is very hard to keep up with them all...lol, But I got another tank and it is the same kind my other tank is so I am kind of going to do a little cheat and see if I can pull off using my old filter from that tank since it is time to get a new one and speed up being able to get fish in there. I wouldn't normally do that but I have a sick fish that I have no clue what is wrong with her. So I have it set up and am going to let it run for a few days and then check levels and see if all of my levels are ok then add one fish at a time. The ones I am moving to this tank are the ones I have had since I got my first tank and I had new tank syndrome and they all survived it so I know they are tough but only going to move one like every 2 days and check levels again before I move another.

OK about my other fish maybe you might know. Her scales are lifting up and she looks like her lips are pealing off like she has really dry chapped lips. She also is losing color in her eyes they are turning whitish and she has white stripes down her tail. I know it's not ick b/c I know what that looks like and these are not spots they are long striped. She used to be really gold also and has lost most of her color other than just what I had mentioned. Went to my fish guy and he said put aquarium salt in. Well my tanks are brackish so that was not a helpful solution so then he said it sounds like a parasite but it is very hard to find parasite meds for fish and they didn't sell it anymore b/c it never sold and expired so they lost money. So now I am going to look at stores online b/c checked petsmart and petco and they don't have anything. Everyone has stuff for bacterial and fungal infections but not parasites. IDK I think I am going to start a thread with some pics of her and see if anyone has any ideas as to what it is before she dies. She is just sitting on the bottom of the tank. She is my balloon molly and she just had babies also but only one is still alive. All the others were not born alive which also made my fish guy say parasite.

IDK I don't want her to die but I also don;t know what to do to help her. I mean if he can't help hopefully someone on here can help me so I can get her treated and better.
OK again talking a lot...lol. I am going to go. Going to start a thread and ask about her and also add pics of my new tank to my tanks list. Hope all is going well with your new editions. Also I can not even imagine how much you are going to have to spend for a stand for a 90G tank. You might be better off putting it on a dresser...lol. That would probably be cheaper but wouldn't look as good if it is out in a living room. I have mine on an antique table which I had 6 of my friends sit on it at the same time to make sure it was sturdy enough and would hold the 30G and then my one 20G is on my dresser b/c it is in my room. Oh yeah and my fry tank is in my room too...lol. Well good luck on your hunt for a stand. Let me know if you have any ideas about what my fish might have. TTYS!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM21 View Post
What do you do with all of these fish? o_O Lol

I'm moving my 50G community to a 90G soon for my new loaches & blackfins. Unfortunately my stand doesn't support the weight a 90G requires so I'll have to get a new stand too. Looking on graigslist for some good deals but none have came up close to my area yet

Thanks for the compliments by the way. I really appreciate it!
mandi85710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raphael Catfish Freddy Catfish 1 06-07-2011 10:56 PM
Striped Raphael Catfish Zooty Catfish 4 05-18-2010 11:09 PM
Raphael Catfish blacksheep Catfish 2 04-08-2010 09:42 PM
Raphael catfish! help! Deku Catfish 20 08-30-2008 09:53 AM
need help with Raphael catfish??????? cory dawg Catfish 6 08-09-2007 07:52 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 AM.