Hey everyone, new here and had a couple quick questions that I cant seem to find anywhere...
I'm currently running a 29 gallon tank with an Aqua-Tek 30-60 filter (330GPH), & 75w Auto-heater set to 76F. I've had the following fish for about 2 months living together now:
3 Red Phantom Tetras
1 Rainbow Shark
6 Tiger Barbs
1 Cory Catfish
The Rainbow Shark
seems to be good friends with the Cory Cat, and even though it's territorial and a bit aggressive to the other fish, the shark doesn't chase the Cory and he and the catfish share the same hideout (a giant cave surrounded by flowers), and they scavenge the bottom of the tank together.
The Rainbow Shark
does chase the heck out of the Tetra's whenever they get near his hideout, and the tiger barbs seem to enjoy instigating the chases, though the barbs tend to keep to themselves and fight amongst each other while not aggravating the shark. I was surprised to see that there hasn't been any fin-nipping.
One thing I have noticed is that the Tiger Barbs seem to like following you when you are in front of the glass, and move with you if you move side to side, and also seem to know when it's feeding time, as they all swim to the top before I even open the lid or drop food in.
In about 5 months I will be moving and will be purchasing a larger tank. (55G)
The questions I have are:
1) How long will it take on average for the Rainbow Shark
to outgrow the 29G and require a 55G?
2) By the looks of things, I wouldn't say my tank seems overcrowded, but, is it?
( The water is clear and I do regular maintenance every other week.)
3) Is it likely that this combination of fish will ever cause a problem in the foreseeable future?
4) Would it be OK to get a couple Oto Catfish
for algae cleanup duty?
5) Would it also be OK to buy a couple Ghost Shrimp (1 or 2), or will the Shark harass them to no end?
6) Should an air bubbler be installed or is this alright without one?