10 gallon
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Catfish » 10 gallon

10 gallon

This is a discussion on 10 gallon within the Catfish forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> Well i decided to keep the piranahs, and i have an extra 10 gallon sitting around and i went to the petstore today and ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Tail Spot Cory
Tail Spot Cory
Reticulated Cory
Reticulated Cory
Reply
Old 03-30-2007, 03:46 PM   #1
 
10 gallon

Well i decided to keep the piranahs, and i have an extra 10 gallon sitting around and i went to the petstore today and was talking to one of the employees. I told her i was interested in having cory catfish, she said i could have 4 corys and 2 dwarf gourami's and maybe a few little community fish, do you think this would be to crowed if i provide plenty of plants and caves and stuff? It doesnt sound to bad because they all dont grow big.
Thanks!
Firebelly girrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:23 PM   #2
 
corys, even the dwarf species, dont belong in 10gs.
dwarf gouramis will fight with one another-one would be ok

you could do one dwarf gourami and a small small of maybe 4-7 small tetras.
or a dwarf gourami and a couple male guppies or male platys. avoid females, 10gs is too small.


btw, what size tank are the pirannahs in?
fuzz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
 
A 55, i was going to adopt them out and set the 55 up as a community tank but i dont know i get to nervous giving animals to other people, i dont want them to be mistreated just because i want new fish lol.
And thanks for the info!
Firebelly girrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
 
tophat665's Avatar
 
Pish and Tosh! You can keep a small shoal of the smaller cory species in a 10 gallon. C. pygmeus, hasbrosus, hastatus, guapore, bilineatus (San Juan), arcuatus (Skunk), and panda would all work. I've run across references in planted tank forums from folks recognized on those forums as cory experts who would find no issues with having up to 10 of them in a 5 gallon tank. Further, on scotcat.com, it turns out that the ideal breeding solutions for the hastatus involve 5 gallon tanks. Therefore, I would say that you would have no problem with a shoal of 5 or so in a 10 gallon tank.

As for Gouramis, I would stay away from Dwarf Gouramis (Cosa lalia) in a 10 gallon, unless you want to keep just one. Better would be Honey Dwarf Gouramis (Cosa chuna), 2 female, maybe 1 male, or Sparkling Gouramis (do some more research on that last, though - I know they can be kept in smaller tanks, but I haven't done a ton of in depth research on them.)
tophat665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:02 PM   #5
 
Falina's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tophat665
Pish and Tosh! You can keep a small shoal of the smaller cory species in a 10 gallon. C. pygmeus, hasbrosus, hastatus, guapore, bilineatus (San Juan), arcuatus (Skunk), and panda would all work. I've run across references in planted tank forums from folks recognized on those forums as cory experts who would find no issues with having up to 10 of them in a 5 gallon tank. Further, on scotcat.com, it turns out that the ideal breeding solutions for the hastatus involve 5 gallon tanks. Therefore, I would say that you would have no problem with a shoal of 5 or so in a 10 gallon tank.

As for Gouramis, I would stay away from Dwarf Gouramis (Cosa lalia) in a 10 gallon, unless you want to keep just one. Better would be Honey Dwarf Gouramis (Cosa chuna), 2 female, maybe 1 male, or Sparkling Gouramis (do some more research on that last, though - I know they can be kept in smaller tanks, but I haven't done a ton of in depth research on them.)
i agree! i have 6 cories in my 10g and they get on very well, with plenty of space. i also had them in a 5g for about a week while i was sorting out the 10g and they were also fine, but i much prefer them in the 10g as they seem to have mroe space. there are some larger cory species like the sterbai - i wouldnt put a group of them in a 10g but with the ones tophat mentioned - theres no problem.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
 
Sounds good, julie do you have a pic of your tank? Im tring to get ideas on what would be best for the corys...more space? more plants? more caves? hmm
Firebelly girrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:00 PM   #7
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebelly girrl
Sounds good, julie do you have a pic of your tank? Im tring to get ideas on what would be best for the corys...more space? more plants? more caves? hmm
I don't see how cories often use caves. More plants is actually a good idea with more space in the middle for foraging the bottom. The feeding area can be situated in the middle allowing cories to eat bits of food that fall to the bottom.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:09 AM   #8
 
i know you may not want it. but you could have a shel dweller tank. they are very small cichlids.

http://www.shelldwellers.com/index.php
tom14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:41 AM   #9
 
i recoment congo tetras theyre amazing looking fish and they dont grow to big but the certainly bring alot more color to an aquarium compared to the cardinal tetras
Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:13 AM   #10
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo
i recoment congo tetras theyre amazing looking fish and they dont grow to big but the certainly bring alot more color to an aquarium compared to the cardinal tetras
Enzo, in a ten gallons, they may seem to fit but this fish actually needs to be kept in groups and needs swimming space. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that Congo Tetras will appreciate the space a ten gallons tank can give. Congos can actually reach 4 inches so there is no doubt they can't fit in a ten gallons tank.

Cardinal tetras are a better option in this case although I must warn you that these tetras may not be able to tolerate frequent changes in water conditions in a small tank. As long as the tank is properly maintained, the cardinals are not a problem.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
120 Gallon With Home Made Stand and In Wall 55 Gallon With Drain and Fill Plumbing WTFJayJay DIY Aquarium 2 07-20-2009 03:33 PM
Stocking my 105-gallon display tank and 20 gallon sump fishr4life Saltwater Fish 2 01-27-2008 02:51 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 PM.