Mycobacteria - Page 3 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 212 Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiesesMadchen View Post
In nine years of fishkeeping, a 2 years of breeding, I have never seen a lethal case of myco/TB. IN fact, I have never seen a case at all. Most fish deaths and illnesses can widely be attributed more to poor ownership than a rare bacterial infection.
And I agree.. but there is this becoming a problem in many places. This is a warning to be careful and make sure the proper product is used to get rid of it or keep it out of your fish.

Basement Bettas ~ Breeder of Show Bettas
Currently ranked first in 2013-2014 Season
Nationally ranked 3rd in point standings 2011-2012
Nationally ranked 5th in point standings 2012-2013
Regular contributor to Flare!
Co-Founder BettaSource
Basement Bettas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 212 Old 01-16-2013, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by twolovers101 View Post
Just as a third party... this thread does seem rather panicked... yes it has good information, but what I worry about are people taking this and freaking out...
It is not to freak out.. but to make sure you are practicing good bio security in your own fish room and make sure you are aware of the signs. Not everyone can send fish to a lab. So how is the average Joe to even begin to consider this if all they hear is resistant so and so. It IS real and as such need to have correct information out so people can make INFORMED decisions.

Basement Bettas ~ Breeder of Show Bettas
Currently ranked first in 2013-2014 Season
Nationally ranked 3rd in point standings 2011-2012
Nationally ranked 5th in point standings 2012-2013
Regular contributor to Flare!
Co-Founder BettaSource
Basement Bettas is offline  
post #23 of 212 Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
probelm is bettas and Z-fish are more susceptible than others. And the major supplier of bettas to the shops has it. It is in most fish I see in my local area and they come from same place. Just be careful.

Basement Bettas ~ Breeder of Show Bettas
Currently ranked first in 2013-2014 Season
Nationally ranked 3rd in point standings 2011-2012
Nationally ranked 5th in point standings 2012-2013
Regular contributor to Flare!
Co-Founder BettaSource
Basement Bettas is offline  
post #24 of 212 Old 01-16-2013, 09:05 PM
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
And I agree.. but there is this becoming a problem in many places. This is a warning to be careful and make sure the proper product is used to get rid of it or keep it out of your fish.
The thing is, I take EXCELLENT care of my tanks. Most people with instances of fish TB are having cycling issues, or water quality issues, or don't take care of their tank. Yes, all fish have some form of Mycobacterium. Well taken care of fish don't get over run by it. Its like saying beware!! Women have yeast! Be careful who you touch! Yes, all women have yeast, but its only the ones with the nasty hoo-has that need to worry about infection. Just like fish kept in nasty tanks.
djembekah likes this.

** 75g: 2 Green Terrors, 2 Severums, 3 Synodontis Eupteras ** 75g: 8 Yellow Labs, 11 Blue Zebras, 7 Hap. sp35 ** 55g: Jack Dempsey Breeding pair
DiesesMadchen is offline  
post #25 of 212 Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiesesMadchen View Post
The thing is, I take EXCELLENT care of my tanks. Most people with instances of fish TB are having cycling issues, or water quality issues, or don't take care of their tank. Yes, all fish have some form of Mycobacterium. Well taken care of fish don't get over run by it. Its like saying beware!! Women have yeast! Be careful who you touch! Yes, all women have yeast, but its only the ones with the nasty hoo-has that need to worry about infection. Just like fish kept in nasty tanks.
It is not a care issue. There is an unusual strain finding it's way into the betta hobby. Fish can carry and shed it for months. And my fish receive excellent care. I allowed ONE sick fish in the fish room and did not take proper steps and lost years of work. And I can tell you other breeders have taken excellent care of their fish. This is NOT a water quality issue causing a disease that can be cured. You going to tell the Z-fish research facility that they have care issues? I think not. But they get this. You get it by not taking precautions to keep it out. And they are pretty sever on how they handle getting rid of it.

This is a heads up. If you have something you can not get rid of you have to face this issue. And you have to get the right kind of stuff to kill it on your tanks and everything else. And fish can not be cured. I was told by more than one expert to destroy everything and start fresh. This is what you read and what you do when nothing else is working. And you can be proactive about prevention.. or not.
LittleStar likes this.

Basement Bettas ~ Breeder of Show Bettas
Currently ranked first in 2013-2014 Season
Nationally ranked 3rd in point standings 2011-2012
Nationally ranked 5th in point standings 2012-2013
Regular contributor to Flare!
Co-Founder BettaSource
Basement Bettas is offline  
post #26 of 212 Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 PM
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
It is not a care issue. There is an unusual strain finding it's way into the betta hobby. Fish can carry and shed it for months. And my fish receive excellent care. I allowed ONE sick fish in the fish room and did not take proper steps and lost years of work. And I can tell you other breeders have taken excellent care of their fish. This is NOT a water quality issue causing a disease that can be cured. You going to tell the Z-fish research facility that they have care issues? I think not. But they get this. You get it by not taking precautions to keep it out. And they are pretty sever on how they handle getting rid of it.

This is a heads up. If you have something you can not get rid of you have to face this issue. And you have to get the right kind of stuff to kill it on your tanks and everything else. And fish can not be cured. I was told by more than one expert to destroy everything and start fresh. This is what you read and what you do when nothing else is working. And you can be proactive about prevention.. or not.
From a Microbiologist standpoint (yes that's me! BSAST MT(ASCP)) most bacteria disease are caused but lack of care. Most bacterial disease can be prevented by proper hygiene, or in the case of a fishroom, proper maintenance. As far as accidentally letting a bad fish in? Well, would you put an old lady with pneumonia in a room of babies? I think not. It's called quarantine for a reason. And in almost 100% of cases, a bad fish put in a healthy tank is not going to infect healthy fish. That fish will die and that will be the end of it. Healthy immune systems fight off disease.

** 75g: 2 Green Terrors, 2 Severums, 3 Synodontis Eupteras ** 75g: 8 Yellow Labs, 11 Blue Zebras, 7 Hap. sp35 ** 55g: Jack Dempsey Breeding pair

Last edited by DiesesMadchen; 01-16-2013 at 09:33 PM.
DiesesMadchen is offline  
post #27 of 212 Old 01-16-2013, 09:33 PM
Member
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
Their guess is 70% of the TRADE. That means ALL fish.
If 70% or 100% fish in the trade have this (because I guess it's the same thing apparently) then there's nothing we can do, there's no clean stock, one of those papers said it's even difficult for scientists to get Myco-free stock, why bother? You'll get a fish that will die in a few hours, or you'll get one that will die in a year. If every fish is going to die of Myco then there's nothing we can do. Killing fish and replacing them with more fish with Myco? I don't quite get it.
Sakura8 likes this.

taking a break from fish-keeping.
3 lovely male betta still keep me company.
Olympia is offline  
post #28 of 212 Old 01-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Member
 
aemaki09's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
If 70% or 100% fish in the trade have this (because I guess it's the same thing apparently) then there's nothing we can do, there's no clean stock, one of those papers said it's even difficult for scientists to get Myco-free stock, why bother? You'll get a fish that will die in a few hours, or you'll get one that will die in a year. If every fish is going to die of Myco then there's nothing we can do. Killing fish and replacing them with more fish with Myco? I don't quite get it.

+++++++1
I was just thinking this same exact thing

10 HM, 3 HMPK, 5 HMPK fry
8 German Blue Ram, 5 Green Dragon BNP, 4 Albino BNP, 4 Calico BNP, 6 Red BNP, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 2 ADF, 7 Peppered Cories, & 6 Tiger Endlers + Fry
12 full time tanks, 4 NPT, 6 QT/Breeders
Member IBC
aemaki09 is offline  
post #29 of 212 Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 PM
New Member
 
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas
Their guess is 70% of the TRADE. That means ALL fish.


70% = All fish? Math much?

** 75g: 2 Green Terrors, 2 Severums, 3 Synodontis Eupteras ** 75g: 8 Yellow Labs, 11 Blue Zebras, 7 Hap. sp35 ** 55g: Jack Dempsey Breeding pair
DiesesMadchen is offline  
post #30 of 212 Old 01-16-2013, 09:45 PM
Now I'm really scared that I'm going to get really sick from any fish that I buy...

5G - 1 betta: orange dalmatian VT male "Ty"
29G - 1 orange fantail goldfish "Goldeen"
finnfinnfriend is offline  
Reply
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome