08-18-2008, 08:47 AM
| || |
Zeolite and Saltwater
I am in the process of cycling a new 46 gal tank. I decided this time to set it up as a saltwater tank and am going through the usual pains of starting a new tank. Over the weekend, I had a star fish and a conch die off, and they got a little rank before I figured out they were dead. As such I had a pretty high ammonia spike. Last night I did an emergency flush and brought down the ammonia from 1.0 to .25. I also threw some fresh Zeolite into my AquaClear pump and went off to bed. This morning I woke up and all of my fish were dead (three damsels, a blenny, and a basslet). The remaining conch, all my crabs, and the snails 'seemed' okay.
My question is was the Zeolite the problem, or did I just not get the ammonia down quick enough? I have seen several comments that Zeolite should not be used in saltwater, but no reasons as to why. Anyone know? Is it poisonous?