12-27-2010, 10:16 AM
| || |
phosphate of 2 is WAY TOO HIGH! You have to get that down to as close to zero as possible. it should not even be detectable using a test kit. short of getting phosphate to undetectable there's nothing you can do to control the algae. That should be your #1 priority. It will take alot of patients, time, before you will be able to get to zero especially if it's been awhile that your tank has been high in phosphates. let me ask you, where did you get those rocks? phosphate may be coming from there. I know other reefers don't think they can act like phosphate sponges and then release it slowly in the tank but i would guess those rocks were high in phosphate before you even started your tank. one of the thing you can do is run phosphate remover in the tank on a 24/7, change water constantly until your rocks rid themselves of phosphates. You might want to run rowaphos 24/7/365 until the phoshpates go to zero. you also say you are topping off with salt water, i don't understand that, it should be topped off with fresh water otherwise sg will increase. BTW turn all yor lights off too. this will rid the tank of algae, however unless you get to zero phosphates and you turn the lights back on, algae will return.
Last edited by reefsahoy; 12-27-2010 at 12:53 PM..