Thoughts on a new tank
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks » Beginner Saltwater Aquariums » Thoughts on a new tank

Thoughts on a new tank

This is a discussion on Thoughts on a new tank within the Beginner Saltwater Aquariums forums, part of the Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks category; --> Hello everyone. Newbie here just looking for information thinking about starting a fish tank. I have done a little research and want to let ...

Check out these saltwater fish profiles
Clown Tang
Clown Tang
Percula Clownfish
Percula Clownfish
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Thoughts on a new tank
Old 10-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
 
Thoughts on a new tank

Hello everyone. Newbie here just looking for information thinking about starting a fish tank. I have done a little research and want to let you all know what I am thinking about along with what (no) experience I have. Then I would like to hear thoughts and opinions. =) I am not doing anything just yet, it will probably be a couple months before I start anything, I am just trying to get a head start with research.

The only fish I ever had was a goldfish in a bowl when I was a little kid. I am 31 now.

I would like a fish tank and while I have no experience I would really prefer to go with salt water over fresh. For one saltwater looks so much better and two I would rather not spend money on fresh when salt is what I really want. In the end though if everyone seems to think I need to start with fresh and work my way up then I will do that.

I am thinking I will go with a 75G tank to start out. I know it's a litte big for a first tank but everything I have found seems a larger tank is easier to keep stable and take care of than a small tank. I have a good job and can afford to make a decent tank from the start I think. I am thinking I will go FOWLR, not sure if I would want to go reef in the future but regardless that woud be quite a ways off.

So what thoughts do you guys have about what I am thinking I'd like to do? Is it to much for a first tank?
chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
 
jennesque's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain View Post
Hello everyone. Newbie here just looking for information thinking about starting a fish tank. I have done a little research and want to let you all know what I am thinking about along with what (no) experience I have. Then I would like to hear thoughts and opinions. =) I am not doing anything just yet, it will probably be a couple months before I start anything, I am just trying to get a head start with research.

The only fish I ever had was a goldfish in a bowl when I was a little kid. I am 31 now.

I would like a fish tank and while I have no experience I would really prefer to go with salt water over fresh. For one saltwater looks so much better and two I would rather not spend money on fresh when salt is what I really want. In the end though if everyone seems to think I need to start with fresh and work my way up then I will do that.

I am thinking I will go with a 75G tank to start out. I know it's a litte big for a first tank but everything I have found seems a larger tank is easier to keep stable and take care of than a small tank. I have a good job and can afford to make a decent tank from the start I think. I am thinking I will go FOWLR, not sure if I would want to go reef in the future but regardless that woud be quite a ways off.

So what thoughts do you guys have about what I am thinking I'd like to do? Is it to much for a first tank?

It'll take a large investment on your part, but if you're sure that's what you want to do - you're right in saying that it's easier to maintain a stable environment in a larger tank. They have cheaper ~$6 fish that you could start out with to make sure your tank is cycled and well before adding any expensive fish. If you're ok with the upfront investment - I say go for it!
jennesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
 
I am thinking initial investment between tank, stand, lighting, live rock and sand, water, etc etc will be close to $2000. Sound about right?
chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain View Post
I am thinking initial investment between tank, stand, lighting, live rock and sand, water, etc etc will be close to $2000. Sound about right?
For a new tank? Or a craiglist tank?
75g with flourescent lighting from Petsmart $200
Live Rock 15lbs and Macro Rock 50lbs $210
2 600gph powe heads $32
2 New 800GPH Wave Maker Aquarium Water Pump Powerhead 3000L/H Circulation Reef | eBay
160 SWC Skimmer or Reef Octopus $160
BUBBLE-MAGUS NAC6A NEEDLE WHEEL PROTEIN SKIMMER (WHITE COLOR) | eBay
75g Stand $170
Live Sand 3 40lb bags @ $50 each
Thats the bulk of it. Heater is cheap. Saltwater test kit $42
Refractometer $60
Good to go. Alot cheaper than you thought to.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:36 AM   #5
 
I will definitely need help with the extras such as protien skimmer, lighting, heater, etc. The bulk of the money I am thinking about is that I want a nice enclosed stand with a canopy, and I was also thinking it would be best if I just shelled out for live rock from the start, I was figuring 100lbs for a 75g tank. Would it be fine to start out with half live rock and half not live, and hope it seeds ok?

Also, being a newb will I have problems or does anyone recommend against me starting with a tank like this? Am I getting in over my head?

Last edited by chain; 10-19-2011 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: Just adding the last sentence
chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:45 AM   #6
 
Pasfur's Avatar
 
The amount of live rock will depend a lot on the overall look you want and numbers of fish. I prefer a much larger structure of live rock, closer to 100 or 125 pounds. But in terms of seeding the tank and having the water quality you want, 65 pounds would do the trick.

I do not believe anyone needs freshwater experience to do a saltwater tank. The two have nothing in common.
Pasfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:01 AM   #7
 
jennesque's Avatar
 
I agree that it wouldn't be necessary to start with freshwater. It can just be much cheaper than saltwater so if you're unsure !bout whether you are 100% interested and committed to the work of fish keeping, in light of investing less money I'd recommend starting at freshwater. This is why I started at fw, solely because I don't have the money to spend on a sw tank that may fail because of fault of my own. The only thing I could probably afford would be a bank tank, but those are even harder to maintain! Like I said, of your ok with laying down the cash at the risk that you may lose interest and never get a full return on what you invested, then by all means, go for it! :) you're at least doing plenty of planning and research so I'm sure you'll know exactly what you're getting in to and you'll love it. :)
jennesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
 
I say go for it! The main thing is do your research and know exactly what your going into and what you need to do. If you have any questions please ask. I look forward to seeing some pictures on the development of your SW tank
SaltwaterTaylor14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:33 AM   #9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain View Post
I will definitely need help with the extras such as protien skimmer, lighting, heater, etc. The bulk of the money I am thinking about is that I want a nice enclosed stand with a canopy, and I was also thinking it would be best if I just shelled out for live rock from the start, I was figuring 100lbs for a 75g tank. Would it be fine to start out with half live rock and half not live, and hope it seeds ok?

Also, being a newb will I have problems or does anyone recommend against me starting with a tank like this? Am I getting in over my head?
75g is a good start tank, not to big not to small. You can start with half live rock and half dead rock, no worries there, it will all come out good.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennesque View Post
I agree that it wouldn't be necessary to start with freshwater. It can just be much cheaper than saltwater so if you're unsure !bout whether you are 100% interested and committed to the work of fish keeping, in light of investing less money I'd recommend starting at freshwater. This is why I started at fw, solely because I don't have the money to spend on a sw tank that may fail because of fault of my own. The only thing I could probably afford would be a bank tank, but those are even harder to maintain! Like I said, of your ok with laying down the cash at the risk that you may lose interest and never get a full return on what you invested, then by all means, go for it! :) you're at least doing plenty of planning and research so I'm sure you'll know exactly what you're getting in to and you'll love it. :)

What is a bank tank?
chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
community fish tank thoughts and ideas. thegabzzz Freshwater and Tropical Fish 5 10-07-2011 05:40 AM
55g Community Tank - Thoughts Yueshi Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 08-31-2011 11:47 AM
Thoughts on my 10 gallon tank jeppun21 Freshwater and Tropical Fish 4 06-11-2011 01:19 PM
Your thoughts on my tank(s) jeppun21 Freshwater and Tropical Fish 16 06-08-2011 03:56 PM
An experimental cichlid tank .... your thoughts please ! Zincubus Cichlids 9 04-11-2008 04:27 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.