Well today i was thinking i was all ready for a saltwater reef tank, until i actually thought about it. For the people who dont know whats going on here
20 gallon tank
2 o. clowns
20 pounds live rock
2 HOB filters to start off with, when fish get bigger and when i do end up getting corals i will switch to an AquaC protein skimmer
Red or blue legged hermit crabs
turbo or margarita snails
130 watts of PC lights, 1 10,000k 65 watt and 1 blue antic
Instant ocean salt mix
Frozen mysis, frozen brine, live brine, saltwater pellet food, spirulna algae food
Mushrooms, polyps, i will only get these when i get a skimmer
Ok i have a few more questions
1. How deep of a sand bed should i get
2. How many gph should i be putting in the tank filtration and powerhead wise
3. Whats a good company of heaters
4. Could i fit 2 cleaner shrimps here?
5. How many water changes per week
6. Whats the ideal SG for a setup like this, i was thinking 1.023
7. What temperature for these corals and fish
8. What do i do i the tank is unbalanced?
9. What trace elements do i need and how much do i put in, do i need to do it frequently or only during water changes?
10. What are good algae and what is bad algae
Ok here is my order of work, if i am missing something or doing something wrong please tell me
Day 1: Position tank, install equipment, fill halfway with RO water, mix in salt, add live rock, fill the rest of it up with saltwater. Make sure all equipment is working, install hood and light
Day 2+: test water daily for ammonia and nitrites and nitrates, once ammonia and nitrites are at 0 and nitrates are at a detectable level, do 50% water change and move on to add fish. Lets say this is now day 20
Day 21: Add fish and clean up crew of snails and hermit crabs.
Day 22: Test water for ammonia and nitrites, if it is detected 10-15% water change daily until gone
Once mature add cleaner shrimp, lets say this is day 60 or something
Day 60: Add cleaner shrimp
Day 61: Test for any ammonia or nitrites, if detected 10-15% water change.
I will clean front glass and side glass of algae but leave the back glass to be covered in algae.
I will feed daily once,
Tuesday: Vege day, algae
Should i do it that way or should i just feed a little of everything each day?
Anything to say, say it, if you think everything im doing is wrong, say it.