09-11-2012, 09:42 PM
| || |
Originally Posted by bigehugedome
OK, well maybe ill stick to my old way. I think it keeps things simple IMHO
OK, well here is the deal. Im having money issues. So, this is going to be delayed. Im gonna ask a few questions and thank everyone for the personalized support. Hopefully you will see me get started in the next month or so.
1. Using the DIY overflow posted eariler from reefing, my understanding is that when the power goes back on, im relying on both the return sump and the powerhead to recreate the cycle, where if I use an overflow box, you take one electrical item out of the equation, as when the return pump from the sump starts filling the DT, the water "overflows" to the Box and gravity does the rest. Is this correct? Nope. They are both the same. They both utilize a Aqualifter or powerhead to suck air out of the wier or top of the pvc to restart the siphon.
2. Using the DIY posed above, it says to use 3/4 PVC, and then for my return use 1inch. Is this OK? What gph am i looking for going into the sump? What gph am i looking for returning to the DT. Use 1" overflow for 600gph, and use 1" return for less restriction of the gph of the pump.
3. Are these bulbs OK for FOWLR and possibly some easy coral down the line, with the intent to upgrade at some point. Ocean Sun Fluorescent T-8 Lamp - 10,000k - 15W - 18 in. | ThatPetPlace.com Coral Sun 420nm T8 Actinic Fluorescent Lamp - 18 in. | ThatPetPlace.com Ok for FOWLR, not going to be ok with Corals.
4. Ill decide on sand. Using some online Calculators ill need about 35-50 pounds for a 2-3" sand bed in the DT. Assuming the use of 13" baffles, how deep of a sand bed should i use in the sump? 2-3 or 6-8? Depends, you want the use of a DSB? Or just the critters that grow in a Sand Bed?
5. RO/DI - Which of these two would you perfer? If neither, what should i be looking for? AQUARIUM II RO/DI REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER FILTER AQUASAFE | eBay This one is fine.
Whew! I think thats it. Like I said, thank you for everyone for the individual attention. I hope to be back with a build log soon.
Oh and the last thing, what does eveyone think of a goby/shrimp pair
? Yup, this pair is always cool to watch.