| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools|
Originally Posted by onefish2fish View Post
So best/no fuss way of maintaining the sump is skimmer, fuge with sand only and macro algea, and return. Any additions may need more maintainance and have extra consequences?
For my baffles, they dont have to have teeth, correct? Any changes you would propose on my design?
Originally Posted by bigehugedome View Post
For the intake, I saw the 4x4inch box on melevsreef and some other sites/videos. What is the best setup for the intake? Should it flow directly into the skimmer chamber or Should it flow into that 4x4 box and overflow into the skimmer chamber (it should not be as tall as it is in my pic). What is needed on it? On the DIY overflow ill use, im supposed to use a PVC barb to connect a hose to go into the sump, however they did not have PVC, only brass, so thats no good. I assume I can go straight into the intake via PVC.
Skimmer chamber is OK. Just needs to fit the skimmer. If the water at 13 inches deep is then I may need to raise the skimmer Up with something.
Fuge is OK. Just sand (deep sand bed? 6-8 inches?) and algea, then into the return, where my heaters will be?
Anything I should change, or consider doing differently? Are my measurements OK for the chambers? Both Chamber width and baffle height?
I painted the back of the DT black and have just about everything for the overflow. Im ready to finialize this sump plan and get the glass ordered!
Originally Posted by MiamiLeos View Post
Its basic to split the return off, you do this to fine tune the return flow. If you get a pump that is close to or over the overflow box into the sump, yoiu use the T line with ball valve to fine tune the return. If you do not do this, its possible to overflow the DT. If you get a return pump that is lower flow than the Overflow is then you need not install the T line. I have one on mine, but its not in use at this time. I installed it incase I had to get another pump and it was over what was needed on the system.
Ah, not really better. You can add a T off anywhere you want to. I have mine on my left side. I have my sump compatmented by just using egg crate to section it off, just to keep the cheato from going into the are where my return and skimmer pumps are. The other section has the Macro Algae and intake lines in it.Desing is up to you, there are a vast number of different ways it can be done. I did it my way, to utilize all the space there was.
Originally Posted by Reefing Madness View Post
OK, well here is the deal. Im having money issues. So, this is going to be delayed. Im gonna ask a few questions and thank everyone for the personalized support. Hopefully you will see me get started in the next month or so.
1. Using the DIY overflow posted eariler from reefing, my understanding is that when the power goes back on, im relying on both the return sump and the powerhead to recreate the cycle, where if I use an overflow box, you take one electrical item out of the equation, as when the return pump from the sump starts filling the DT, the water "overflows" to the Box and gravity does the rest. Is this correct?
2. Using the DIY posed above, it says to use 3/4 PVC, and then for my return use 1inch. Is this OK? What gph am i looking for going into the sump? What gph am i looking for returning to the DT.
3. Are these bulbs OK for FOWLR and possibly some easy coral down the line, with the intent to upgrade at some point.
Ocean Sun Fluorescent T-8 Lamp - 10,000k - 15W - 18 in. | ThatPetPlace.com
Coral Sun 420nm T8 Actinic Fluorescent Lamp - 18 in. | ThatPetPlace.com
4. Ill decide on sand. Using some online Calculators ill need about 35-50 pounds for a 2-3" sand bed in the DT. Assuming the use of 13" baffles, how deep of a sand bed should i use in the sump? 2-3 or 6-8?
5. RO/DI - Which of these two would you perfer? If neither, what should i be looking for?
AQUARIUM II RO/DI REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER FILTER AQUASAFE | eBay
Whew! I think thats it. Like I said, thank you for everyone for the individual attention. I hope to be back with a build log soon.
Oh and the last thing, what does eveyone think of a goby/shrimp pair?
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Thinking of starting a 2.5 or 3 gallon tank...||racingtiger03||Nano Reef||11||11-01-2009 05:51 AM|
|Thinking of starting a small pond...||It'sJames||Ponds and Waterfalls||15||01-16-2009 12:32 AM|
|thinking about starting a 5 gallon tank.||bndoarn||Beginner Saltwater Aquariums||4||08-05-2008 05:51 PM|
|Thinking about starting a 2.5 gal||wejlick1||Nano Reef||6||04-03-2007 06:52 PM|