Starting a Small Marine Tank... Advice? - Page 13
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks » Beginner Saltwater Aquariums » Starting a Small Marine Tank... Advice?

Starting a Small Marine Tank... Advice?

This is a discussion on Starting a Small Marine Tank... Advice? within the Beginner Saltwater Aquariums forums, part of the Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks category; --> Originally Posted by killavixen It wont kill the bacteria in it if i do that everyday? Personally I would take it out. Your tank ...

Check out these saltwater fish profiles
Coral Beauty Angel
Coral Beauty Angel
Sohal Tang
Sohal Tang
Like Tree8Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Starting a Small Marine Tank... Advice?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #121
 
wake49's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by killavixen View Post
It wont kill the bacteria in it if i do that everyday?
Personally I would take it out. Your tank will have more than enough bacteria in the sand and rock to supplement any bacteria loss from rinsing that pad twice a day.

I am deadset against pads, socks or anything that catches and holds detritus. They are Nitrate factories and are detrimental to Alkalinity and overall Water Quality. I personally like running just a Protein Skimmer, Deep Sand Bed and Live Rock.
wake49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #122
 
No need to clean it every day. Every week is a must. You do not worry about bacteria and growth with this. You just want to keep it clean. Everyday is overboard.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #123
 
killavixen's Avatar
 
Thanks, I added a daylight LED to the refugium. Running it opposite my tank light. Also how long does it take for fire and ice zoas to open after being put in a new tank?
killavixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #124
 
wake49's Avatar
 
Give them a few days to acclimate.

The daytime LED opposite the DT will help keep your pH stable. Good move.
Posted via Mobile Device
wake49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #125
 
killavixen's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake49 View Post
Give them a few days to acclimate.

The daytime LED opposite the DT will help keep your pH stable. Good move.
Posted via Mobile Device
the lights were a DIY project im really proud of, and they are super bright, they bleed into the tank just a tidbit and it looks like moonlight, avery soft shimmer effect. As for the LED's a friend gave me a strip of led's but i had to wire them up myself, had to cut and wire an ac adapter then tape it up nice and tight with electrical tape.
killavixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #126
 
killavixen's Avatar
 
More pics of my gsp :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02446.jpg (35.1 KB, 25 views)
killavixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #127
 
wake49's Avatar
 
Nice!
Posted via Mobile Device
wake49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #128
 
killavixen's Avatar
 
Upgrading! Need Advice

I got a 15 gallon tank now, Whats the process for moving everything from the 8 gallon to the new tank. Will it need to recycle?
killavixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #129
 
wake49's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by killavixen View Post
I got a 15 gallon tank now, Whats the process for moving everything from the 8 gallon to the new tank. Will it need to recycle?
The disruption might cause a small cycle. Your tank isn't overly established and some of that beneficial bacteria could die off in the move. There is also a good possiblity that if your work is hasty, that there will not be a cycle and everything goes fine.

I would move the equipment (Skimmer and Refugium) over to establish some beneficial bacteria in the new tank. I would then move the rock and sand. Keep the circulation pump in the current tank for gas exchange and test the new tank before you move the fish and livestock over. Once you know that you aren't going to mini-cycle (you should know by the end of the first day) and everything is testing the same as it was in the current tank, move over the fish and livestock.
wake49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #130
 
killavixen's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake49 View Post
The disruption might cause a small cycle. Your tank isn't overly established and some of that beneficial bacteria could die off in the move. There is also a good possiblity that if your work is hasty, that there will not be a cycle and everything goes fine.

I would move the equipment (Skimmer and Refugium) over to establish some beneficial bacteria in the new tank. I would then move the rock and sand. Keep the circulation pump in the current tank for gas exchange and test the new tank before you move the fish and livestock over. Once you know that you aren't going to mini-cycle (you should know by the end of the first day) and everything is testing the same as it was in the current tank, move over the fish and livestock.
Alrighty! Thanks!
wake49 likes this.
killavixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting out...again...tank advice please! dancercr Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 6 01-07-2010 05:41 PM
Starting up Marine Tank 30G Justin Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 5 01-01-2010 06:13 AM
Starting a small cold water aquarium, any advice? MidnightBaelfire Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 6 12-07-2009 12:21 PM
Converting a Marine tank to a Tropical Tank, Advice needed morvernvalley Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 10-15-2007 01:20 PM
starting a small freshwater tank, suggestions themowingmonk Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 10 01-25-2007 06:25 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 AM.