Is it really worth it? - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks » Beginner Saltwater Aquariums » Is it really worth it?

Is it really worth it?

This is a discussion on Is it really worth it? within the Beginner Saltwater Aquariums forums, part of the Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks category; --> I disagree with the premise of this thread. I do not find marine aquariums to be more time consuming that freshwater. In fact, the ...

Check out these saltwater fish profiles
Dragon Wrasse
Dragon Wrasse
Fire Goby
Fire Goby
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Is it really worth it?
Old 06-24-2009, 05:44 AM   #11
 
Pasfur's Avatar
 
I disagree with the premise of this thread. I do not find marine aquariums to be more time consuming that freshwater. In fact, the time it takes to do your 50% water change is far greater than the time I spend maintaining both my 58 reef and 180 FOWLR combined. Additionally, I do not find the maintaining of calcium or phosphates to be difficult, and I do not find that algae growth is any different than freshwater. Also, for a FOWLR tank, you will actually have less equipment than a freshwater tank.

The key is a proper setup and knowledge. Unfortunately, this does include a protein skimmer, so you would be better off sticking with freshwater.
Pasfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:26 AM   #12
 
onefish2fish's Avatar
 
i agree, a skimmer and no canister filter.
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:54 AM   #13
 
wake49's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean117Ply View Post
With my freshwater fish (discus) all I have to do is a 50% water change a week and a clean out of the canister every couple of months, the tank stays crystal clean; no algae, no debris, very clear. Its not that simple with marine? Is the weekly maintenance really that much more then fresh? I've had times where I just couldn't be stuffed cleaning the tank and left it for a couple of weeks, is that a bad idea with a marine tank?
The canister filter has to be cleaned every couple of days. It can't be left for a week (nevermind a couple of weeks), otherwise the algae that you despise will overtake your tank.

+1 to Pasfur and Of2f. Protein skimmer and no canister.
wake49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:05 AM   #14
 
onefish2fish's Avatar
 
i should also stress a quality skimmer, one that you read online reviews on, ask around about and invest into. a skimmer is prob. the most important thing shy of lighting and flow in a reef tank. finding a reefing club might help you get an even better skimmer used for the price of something sub-par new.
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:36 AM   #15
 
sean117Ply's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasfur View Post
I disagree with the premise of this thread. I do not find marine aquariums to be more time consuming that freshwater. In fact, the time it takes to do your 50% water change is far greater than the time I spend maintaining both my 58 reef and 180 FOWLR combined. Additionally, I do not find the maintaining of calcium or phosphates to be difficult, and I do not find that algae growth is any different than freshwater. Also, for a FOWLR tank, you will actually have less equipment than a freshwater tank.

The key is a proper setup and knowledge. Unfortunately, this does include a protein skimmer, so you would be better off sticking with freshwater.

That's the kind of reply I'm looking for

OK so I have taken the hood off to see whether a skimmer would work and have decided the tank looks better without the hood lol it doesn't look so bulky and also seems more illuminated.

I do read skimmers are a vital part so would not go without one.

Pasfur what sort of maintenance regime do you have on your FOWLR? Emptying the skimmer (weekly, daily, or does it fill up or something?) I'm a bit confused with water changes, I read 10% weekly then others say 20% weekly even 30% monthly. Do saltwater fish need trace minerals you can only get from water changes?

(Don't think I'm a lazy bad fish keeper by this thread, I just like to keep things as simple as possible, lifes a big enough stress)
sean117Ply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:39 AM   #16
 
sean117Ply's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake49 View Post
The canister filter has to be cleaned every couple of days. It can't be left for a week (nevermind a couple of weeks), otherwise the algae that you despise will overtake your tank.

+1 to Pasfur and Of2f. Protein skimmer and no canister.
Really? why does a canister filter have such a negative effect on a saltwater tank? All it does is filter the water? I never have a problem with mine on my discus tank, I don't get any abnormal nitrate readings.

There is no light in a canister filter so how does the canister promote algae?
sean117Ply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:20 AM   #17
 
SKAustin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean117Ply View Post
When did I say I couldn't afford it?

That's the whole point of a canister filter, and that's why you clean it

By afford it, I did not indicate the costs as the sole barrier. You indicated a space restraint, and a concern about the increased mainetnance.

Personally, I do not feel that any increase in maintenance is "worth it" in respects to a Marine Fish Only system. If the brightly colored fishes are what attract you, then with no extra effort and less headaches, you could house Malawi Cichlids. Again, this is MY PERSONAL OPINION, so please don feel as though I am shooting down your preferences. I do however, feel that a marine reef system is well worth the added efforts of time, money, space, and all the aggrivations that come with them.

As for the Canister Filter question, in a marine system, the canister filter would need cleaning several times a week. While you may have some success with a canister filter on a FO system, the Canister filter does not remove DOCs (Dissolved Organic Compounds) If you are keeping a FOWLR system, much of the detritus that builds in your system is broken down by various worms, snails, bugs and crustaceans to the point that a Canister filter will do little to remove. These DOCs are removed by a process where they are attracted to the surface of a bubble and are removed in a sort of sea foam. This process can only be completed with the use of a Skimmer. This is also how the ocean cleans itself.

So, in short; Is it worth it? Well the answer to that question is variably dependent on the person asking it. I do not feel a switch to Marine FO would be worth it. But you may well feel differently after having made the switch.

Can it be done with a Caniter Filter? Perhaps; but likely wih limited success dependent on many factors, some of which you can control, and some you cannot.

My suggestion... Go for broke and set up a system capable of sustaining a nice reef, then start out with FOWLR. If you decide later down the road that you want to add corals, you have little added requirements.
SKAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:37 AM   #18
 
SKAustin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasfur View Post
I disagree with the premise of this thread. I do not find marine aquariums to be more time consuming that freshwater. In fact, the time it takes to do your 50% water change is far greater than the time I spend maintaining both my 58 reef and 180 FOWLR combined. Additionally, I do not find the maintaining of calcium or phosphates to be difficult, and I do not find that algae growth is any different than freshwater. Also, for a FOWLR tank, you will actually have less equipment than a freshwater tank.

The key is a proper setup and knowledge. Unfortunately, this does include a protein skimmer, so you would be better off sticking with freshwater.

Mark, with all due respect, I feel it a bit misleading to suggest that any marine system is less involved than a FW system. A good FW maintenance schedule would be ridiculed as a poor effort on an equally sized marine system. A 20% monthly water change wih a quick gravel vac, clean out a canister every month or so, and an occasional PH and Nitrate Test. There is literally nothing to keeping a FW system (at least in comparison).Also remember that you have had several years of experience with these type of systems. Of course you have no problems with supplementation and maintenance. To someone with little or no experience in the marine side of the hobby, it can be much more involved until they understand what it is that they are doing.
SKAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:30 AM   #19
 
sean117Ply's Avatar
 
Thanks for the help SK..

I think I will go for salt. I only want a pair of clowns and maybe a flame angel, I read a flame angel would be ok in a 29g, would it?
sean117Ply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #20
 
You could put a flame angel in a 29 gallon, but if you ever want to invite corals there could be a problem. I would not go with just a fish only system though ( never really thought of it before; it would not be worth it in my opinion). If you are going to invest in a nice protein skimmer, I would go ahead and do live rock,too. And if you do that, you need to think about the substrate you are going to use (if any), and the depth in which you will have it at.
mullinsd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this tank worth 120? bigheadx Freshwater Journals 14 10-07-2009 03:41 PM
worth $800 princesuhaib Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 7 05-16-2009 08:46 AM
this is worth a watch bolty Saltwater Journals 4 12-15-2007 08:46 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 AM.