Questions and Suggestions? - Page 6
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks » Beginner Saltwater Aquariums » Questions and Suggestions?

Questions and Suggestions?

This is a discussion on Questions and Suggestions? within the Beginner Saltwater Aquariums forums, part of the Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks category; --> Originally Posted by lilnaugrim Thanks again guys, yeah I saw that your Fairy had died Killa, that always stinks! Especially when they're expensive. My ...

Check out these saltwater fish profiles
Sohal Tang
Sohal Tang
Pacific Blue Tang
Pacific Blue Tang
Like Tree1Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Questions and Suggestions?
Old 05-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #51
 
Roccus's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Thanks again guys, yeah I saw that your Fairy had died Killa, that always stinks! Especially when they're expensive. My acclimation is always long, for freshwater I do 1 hour Drip minimum and if I feel they need more, they get more so I'm good with all those stuff.

As for the drilling, yes I know about the tempered glass. The Aqueon 40 breeders are non-tempered glass ALL the way around which is rather nice.

So which is more efficient? having a stand pipe or having a hole in the side? Now I'm confused on what would happen with just a hole on the side as it looks like I would still need some sort of overflow box or weir? I'm really enjoying the look of the "coast to coast" overflow though, inside the tank.

Take a peek at my build in this forum.... I need to updat the pictures since I've changed my sump/filter design a little.. but the documentatiion is there... I made my own overflow box... in fact I made everything except the tank...it might give you a few ideas.. or maybe confuse you more...

my water stays crystal clear and never has any floating debris or film... IMHO.. the skimming weir is the way to go.. but agian I'm new to salt... alot of what i learned as a fresh water hobiest does not apply.... one thing that I realy like about the weir, is the fact that I can shut off the pump for filter service and the sump can never overflow...even if the weir were to loose it's prime.. the way I have the sump/refugium partitioned off, the tank can never overflow eiter... winner winner... hard to do that with overflows and bottom drains unless you have a really massive sump and high stand pipe..that for me.. to be effective needs to be close to the bottom...again.. I'm a salt water newbie so my salty knowledge is limitied...
Roccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:08 AM   #52
 
lilnaugrim's Avatar
 
Thanks Roccus, yeah I did take a look at your setup a while back when the Reef tank was just a glimmering thought running through my mind ^_^

I more or less get confused the more pipes people add to their set-ups lol. I'm certainly no expert on how a weir on toilets work and all so I'm going to ask my dad to explain that all to me and perhaps I will understand it better with a live conversation rather than reading since I'm not a good learner when it comes to simply reading something. I prefer to ask questions and make sure that I'm understanding it correctly in which text can only offer so much in that aspect

So, I'm going to need a weir (probably center placed), drilled holes for intake and return. Is that sounding right so far? I know there's a formula on which size hole to use for certain amount of water flow and stuff but I'm no good with math. Anyone just want to tell me what size hole and pump I should get that will work well together? lol
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #53
 
Roccus's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Thanks Roccus, yeah I did take a look at your setup a while back when the Reef tank was just a glimmering thought running through my mind ^_^

I more or less get confused the more pipes people add to their set-ups lol. I'm certainly no expert on how a weir on toilets work and all so I'm going to ask my dad to explain that all to me and perhaps I will understand it better with a live conversation rather than reading since I'm not a good learner when it comes to simply reading something. I prefer to ask questions and make sure that I'm understanding it correctly in which text can only offer so much in that aspect

So, I'm going to need a weir (probably center placed), drilled holes for intake and return. Is that sounding right so far? I know there's a formula on which size hole to use for certain amount of water flow and stuff but I'm no good with math. Anyone just want to tell me what size hole and pump I should get that will work well together? lol
not many pipes in my set up..one in one out. both go over the top.. neiter is realy visiable form the front ... a 1" hose can handle approx 600GPH...fittings( 90 degree) and length of run as well as hose size and type( smoothe wall versus corrigated) all figure into the equatiion...if you are that set on making holes in your tank rather than going over the edge/top.. be sure you have the bulk head fittings first... then you will know what size hole to make.. a 1" bulk head fitting needs about a 1 1/4" or 1 5/16" hole... but check the fitting first, as they do vary from manufacturer to manufacturer..you only get one shot at it....
Roccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #54
 
lilnaugrim's Avatar
 
Right, I mean, I could just do the overflow and run the piping over the top of the tank. It wouldn't be that much an issue, I just don't want potentially 45 gallons all cascading in my bedroom if it fails. So hence why I wanted to drill but if everyone has had success with just the regular overflow and piping over top then I'm not so opposed to doing it; saves me money and time really lol.

Still, where would I buy a weir? Are they custom or would I have to buy online?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #55
 
Roccus's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Right, I mean, I could just do the overflow and run the piping over the top of the tank. It wouldn't be that much an issue, I just don't want potentially 45 gallons all cascading in my bedroom if it fails. So hence why I wanted to drill but if everyone has had success with just the regular overflow and piping over top then I'm not so opposed to doing it; saves me money and time really lol.

Still, where would I buy a weir? Are they custom or would I have to buy online?
I made my own.. they are for sale on line and at quality LFS.... if your sump is designed properly, and your weir is self statring, you should never be in danger of a flood.. some require a siphon break, those are the ones that can flood, but a self starter and a properly sized sump eliminates the problem... search through the forums here.. I got alot of my ionformation by researching the older posts in the DIY and water chemistry threads...some people put alot of effort into providing good information, it's well worth the effort to find it..
Roccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #56
 
Bulging side on Cory Catfish (Getting Bigger)

My girlfriend and I have had our 10gal tank for going on 8 months. We have grown comfortable with correct changing and cleaning of the water. We clean the rock bed every other change, resulting in a small build up of green algae on the rock surface. Our tanks pH is good and the healthiness of all our fish is overall good. However, one of our Cory Catfish has a lump on his side that continues to grow, he swims frequently and normally and eats at his normal rate along side his catfish school of four. Can anybody help diagnose our cory? We don't want to lose any of our fish, any help would be appreciated. I have posted pictures below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20140507_007.jpg (47.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20140507_006.jpg (50.7 KB, 15 views)
CLeftwich3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #57
 
lilnaugrim's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLeftwich3 View Post
My girlfriend and I have had our 10gal tank for going on 8 months. We have grown comfortable with correct changing and cleaning of the water. We clean the rock bed every other change, resulting in a small build up of green algae on the rock surface. Our tanks pH is good and the healthiness of all our fish is overall good. However, one of our Cory Catfish has a lump on his side that continues to grow, he swims frequently and normally and eats at his normal rate along side his catfish school of four. Can anybody help diagnose our cory? We don't want to lose any of our fish, any help would be appreciated. I have posted pictures below.
You've posted in the wrong place! Go to Tropicalfishkeeping.com and scroll down to "Tropical Fish Diseases" and at the top of the list of threads on the left hand side there is a button that says: "New Thread" click that and post all your information there.

EDIT: but just because it is here, it looks like he may have a tumor which is untreatable in small fish. Normally I would suggest Epsom Salt to reduce the fluid build-up but because he is a scaleless fish, that is a bad idea and will only hurt him more. There's not much else you could do for him if it is in fact a tumor unfortunately.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:56 AM   #58
 
Raymond07's Avatar
 
I currently purchased a Par 38 LED full spectrum lamp and housing to go over my nano tank of 5.5 gallons. I was wondering how high should I be mounting it from the water surface for best coral and plant growth. Eventually the light will be moved over to my 30 gallon Oceanic cube tank. Any help would be appreciated.
Raymond07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions and looking for suggestions Kazzy Beginner Planted Aquarium 7 01-03-2011 02:21 PM
Gourami Questions. Need Suggestions! Silli_Millivanilli Anabantids 7 12-16-2008 11:12 AM
New owner, questions & suggestions vasmir Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 8 07-12-2007 07:12 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 PM.