03-31-2008, 05:25 PM
| || |
aight nice thanks for the info i will go buy some R/O tonight....and maybe a c if i can grab a bigger filter thx
Originally Posted by conger
so you ARE continuing to use tap water? Its not the chlorine in the tap water thats the problem (I mean, obviously you can't put chlorine in your tank, but its got nothing to do with algae), its the excess silicates and phosphates.
There's nothing you can add to tap water to remove phosphates, so if you use that to fill up your tank and to do top-offs, then you are constantly adding more food for the algae. You should definitely use RO water, as it will not add phosphates or silicates to the tank. I made the mistake of filling up my 90gal with tap water at the very beginning, which was around 3 months ago... I've used RO water since for all top-offs and water changes, and algae is slowly going away. I've read that once you get phosphates in your tank, its very hard to get rid of them.
I wouldn't outright "scrap" or redo your tank, unless you haven't put any live rock or inhabitants in the tank yet. Just maybe do a large water change using RO for the new salt water, and use RO for topoffs from here out. Maybe drop a phosphate sponge in there as well to help. It will take some patience, but you can eventually get rid of it.
p.s. other things, such as poor/low water circulation, can also encourage or support algae growth...