pasfur
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks » Beginner Saltwater Aquariums » pasfur

pasfur

This is a discussion on pasfur within the Beginner Saltwater Aquariums forums, part of the Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks category; --> what hang on wet dry filters do you recommend?...

Check out these saltwater fish profiles
Coral Beauty Angel
Coral Beauty Angel
Sailfin Tang
Sailfin Tang
Reply
Old 11-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
 
pasfur

what hang on wet dry filters do you recommend?
jjtf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
 
if you have read enough to know that pasfur is the person to ask i think you would also notice that pasfur doesn't recommend any filters in salt water tanks other than live rock deep sand bed and big skimmer.
geohatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by geohatrick View Post
if you have read enough to know that pasfur is the person to ask i think you would also notice that pasfur doesn't recommend any filters in salt water tanks other than live rock deep sand bed and big skimmer.
sorry for asking then..?.?...
jjtf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
 
im sorry i didnt mean it to come across so blunt. I am no expert at saltwater tank's but i do know that this site has a wealth of information i would recommend reading as many threads in the saltwater aquarium forum as possible before attempting a saltwater tanks pasfur has recently written a great article aswell on filtration in salt water tanks. Again im sorry if what i saw before came across as really blunt and rude it is always better to ask questions then to not ask them at all.

Cheers Zac
geohatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:17 AM   #5
 
wake49's Avatar
 
jtf00, what kind of tank are you doing? Is it Fish Only (FO), Fish Only with Live Rock (FOWLR) or full Reef? This will help us to tell you the basics of filtration, although geo is right: Live Rock, Live Sand & a Protein Skimmer are the keys to success in this hobby. Also, how big is the tank and what kind of lighting do you have? Do you have a sump? Heaters? Let us know.
wake49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake49 View Post
jtf00, what kind of tank are you doing? Is it Fish Only (FO), Fish Only with Live Rock (FOWLR) or full Reef? This will help us to tell you the basics of filtration, although geo is right: Live Rock, Live Sand & a Protein Skimmer are the keys to success in this hobby. Also, how big is the tank and what kind of lighting do you have? Do you have a sump? Heaters? Let us know.
i have pictures posted.
jjtf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
 
Pasfur's Avatar
 
I've seen your pictures and am very familiar with your tank. I would rather cut off my little finger with a butter knife than place a wet dry filter on that tank. You have the basics of the tank in place already. A nice deep sand bed and a good live rock structure. Why would you ruin this with a wet dry filter that will cause your nitrates to increase, phosphates to increase, and alkalinity to drop?
Pasfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasfur View Post
I've seen your pictures and am very familiar with your tank. I would rather cut off my little finger with a butter knife than place a wet dry filter on that tank. You have the basics of the tank in place already. A nice deep sand bed and a good live rock structure. Why would you ruin this with a wet dry filter that will cause your nitrates to increase, phosphates to increase, and alkalinity to drop?
sweet. sounds good. so my top fin 30 is good?
jjtf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:15 AM   #9
 
Pasfur's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtf00 View Post
sweet. sounds good. so my top fin 30 is good?
Your filtration questions are becoming difficult to answer, because I'm not sure what you are getting at. Is your top fin 30 good for what? What do you want it to do?

(please don't say "filter the water", because i might jump off a tall building.)
Pasfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasfur View Post
Your filtration questions are becoming difficult to answer, because I'm not sure what you are getting at. Is your top fin 30 good for what? What do you want it to do?

(please don't say "filter the water", because i might jump off a tall building.)
is it safe with the filter pad in? will the filter pad cause problems?
jjtf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 AM.