Okay, now I'm sweating...
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks » Beginner Saltwater Aquariums » Okay, now I'm sweating...

Okay, now I'm sweating...

This is a discussion on Okay, now I'm sweating... within the Beginner Saltwater Aquariums forums, part of the Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks category; --> First, thanks for reading this and offering your input. I've kept freshwater aquariums in the past and have had good success. I always said ...

Check out these saltwater fish profiles
Dragon Wrasse
Dragon Wrasse
Naso Tang
Naso Tang
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Okay, now I'm sweating...
Old 12-24-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
 
newguy's Avatar
 
Okay, now I'm sweating...

First, thanks for reading this and offering your input.

I've kept freshwater aquariums in the past and have had good success. I always said that the next aquarium I keep will be saltwater.

I feel like a tool, but I went down to Petco and talked to the guy about wanting a saltwater aquarium-you know, the ins and outs. He tells me I can easily keep a 10 gallon tank and it will be fine. I figure, this is a christmas gift for me to enjoy with my little son, so I'll start small. If I can handle 10 gallons I can work up from there in the future (which I want to do). I felt proud of my purchase and am looking forward to starting to set it up on Christmas morning.

Before the big launch, I figured I would google a bit, just to make sure I am doing this right. I came across this site, began reading a lot of the postings, and now I am sweating.

Help me out here. My purpose is a 10 gallon tank with about 4-5 smaller type fish. I am sure one will be a clown fish. I bought a "kit" from Petco, the price was reasonable. I also bought the coral sand, salt, etc.--everything I thought I needed except for the fish.


If you could please talk to me like I am dumb, and don't know the aquariumnese language I would appreciate it. For instance, someone was talking about "live rocks" and to my shame, I don't know what that means.

Please help. Should I take back the 10 gallon tank and get the 20g? I will have to sell my wife on it, but am sure I can if it's critical. I don't want the fish to feel like they are living in a garage, as one poster put it. Any insight will be appreciated, even if you want to rip me for making some mistakes. I've got to start somewhere. Thanks.
newguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 11:58 AM   #2
 
Quote:
I feel like a tool, but I went down to Petco and talked to the guy about wanting a saltwater aquarium-you know, the ins and outs. He tells me I can easily keep a 10 gallon tank and it will be fine.
This was the first thing you did wrong,most places like petsmart and petco dont have people that now about freshwater let alone saltwater. You can keep a 10gal, But the problem is its can get troublesome after a while. The problem with them is evaporatio. When the water evaporates out it will raise the salinity quick, and then problems can start. What is said the bigger the tank the easier it is. I would get the biggest tank possible. If you can only get a 20gal go with the 20gal.

Quote:
Help me out here. My purpose is a 10 gallon tank with about 4-5 smaller type fish. I am sure one will be a clown fish. I bought a "kit" from Petco, the price was reasonable. I also bought the coral sand, salt, etc.--everything I thought I needed except for the fish.
As for the 10 gal with 4-5 smaller fish this will be to many in such a little space. I am running a 20gal system for my son that has 4 fish(2 clowns, 3-striped damsel, and a purple fire fish). This is all the fish I am putting in this system. I wouldn't put that many fish in a 10 gal because when the water evaporates thats when problems will start the build up of ammonia and detris.

Quote:
If you could please talk to me like I am dumb, and don't know the aquariumnese language I would appreciate it. For instance, someone was talking about "live rocks" and to my shame, I don't know what that means.
Live rock is a usually coralline rock with marine organisms living on or within the rock, and is a term used mainly in the aquarium trade. Live rock is used in saltwater aquariums as the main source of nitrifying bacteria, important roleplayers in the nitrogen cycle that processes waste from aquarium inhabitants into less toxic forms.

Quote:
also bought the coral sand, salt, etc.--everything I thought I needed except for the fish.

What do you mean by coral sand. Is it live sand, crushed coral, or aragonite sand. If you went with the crushed coral, take it back it is a no-no in the saltwater trade. It will cloud the water whenever disturbed for a lifetime. The best type to get is live sand, the next is aragonit. But with the size that your wanting to go with I would get the live sand. All live sand is, is sand with benificial bacteria already in it.
usmc121581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:46 PM   #3
 
caferacermike's Avatar
 
To touch on what USMC said, live sand is aragonite sand that is shipped and stored wet with beneficial bacteria in it. I too would recommend a 20g set up. 10g set ups are usually considered difficult. You can do it, and it can even be your first tank. Just understand that it can give you headaches. I would only keep one fish in a 10g and it would need to stay small.

Could you describe the "kit" and price?

I'd like to see a skimmer, a powerhead, 15lbs of aragonite, hydrometer, thermometer, quality power compact or T5 lighting of about 25-50watts (if it comes with incandescents take teh kit back and tell them to shove it.) salt mix, test kits.

You might want to think about one of these instead..
http://www.jbjnanocube.com/ There are several modela available and in several price ranges. Much more plug and play in my opinion.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
 
newguy's Avatar
 
Quote:
What do you mean by coral sand. Is it live sand, crushed coral, or aragonite sand. If you went with the crushed coral, take it back it is a no-no in the saltwater trade. It will cloud the water whenever disturbed for a lifetime. The best type to get is live sand, the next is aragonit. But with the size that your wanting to go with I would get the live sand. All live sand is, is sand with benificial bacteria already in it.
The bag reads: "Natural Coral Sand Pure Marine Substrate

100% Calcium Carbonate
Multiple Grades
Increased pH Buffering
Aesthetically Preferred
Minimal Rinsing

Recommended for use in all salt water aquariums.

Tideline Inglewood, CA
10 pound bag"

This is what the guy said they use in the store.

It looks like little bits of coral, like pebbles ceral or something, it doesn't look like fine sand, it looks more like little pebbles or stones. It's dry, not wet.
newguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
 
caferacermike's Avatar
 
Should be smaller than grapenuts. If it looks like rice crispies or larger than I wouldn't run it.

Can you find it on the petco website and link?
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 01:06 PM   #6
 
newguy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacermike
Could you describe the "kit" and price?

I'd like to see a skimmer, a powerhead, 15lbs of aragonite, hydrometer, thermometer, quality power compact or T5 lighting of about 25-50watts (if it comes with incandescents take teh kit back and tell them to shove it.) salt mix, test kits.
Here's what's included with the kit:

10 gal. tank
Full fluorescent light hood
15 Watt fluorescent bulb
Whisper 10 power filter
Whisper filter cartridge
50 Watt UL listed aquaruim heater
Nylon fish net
Starter size water conditioner
Starter size Tetramin tropical fish food
External aquarium thermometer
Fish are Fun guide

I had to buy the salt and everything else seperately. The kit was on sale for like $50 bucks. I spent about $120 or so on everything.
newguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 01:10 PM   #7
 
caferacermike's Avatar
 
Would make a great freshwater set up.....


You could use it for salt but you will need to stock very very lightly. one small goby, blenny, maybe a percula clown, some hermits a few snails. Water changes will be VERY important in such a small tank for nutrient export. You will need to clean that filter weekly, just rinse it under the sink faucet. Don't worry about killing the bacteria as it will be used only for mechanical filtration. You will need to get some rock. Your lighting will not be sufficient to keep any corals except for some mushrooms, maybe a bit of green star polyp. Any corals that you get will need to be non photosynthetic.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 01:12 PM   #8
 
newguy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacermike
Should be smaller than grapenuts. If it looks like rice crispies or larger than I wouldn't run it.

Can you find it on the petco website and link?


This is the Coral Sand

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.as...familyID=7514&
newguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 01:31 PM   #9
 
caferacermike's Avatar
 
I know you care and this is why I hate being so straight forward....

That stuff looks like leftover beach sand....

Aragonite is pure coral skeleton that has been crushed by nature into grains like sand. http://www.carib-sea.com/pages/produ...aragalive.html

This is what I'd be looking for.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 01:51 PM   #10
 
newguy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacermike
I know you care and this is why I hate being so straight forward....

That stuff looks like leftover beach sand....

Aragonite is pure coral skeleton that has been crushed by nature into grains like sand. http://www.carib-sea.com/pages/produ...aragalive.html

This is what I'd be looking for.
Thanks man. I checked the site and found a couple of places where I can pick that up.

You mentioned in a previous response to me something about a powerhead and hydrometer, etc. Could you take sec. to explain those to me, do I need them?

I have a feeling I will end up going with a 20 gal. tank. I guess the guy at the store scared me a little because he mentioned how much salt water tanks evaporate water and the price of salt wasn't cheap. He said they add water to their tanks like 2x's per week.
newguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I was sweating, now I'm drooling... newguy Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 5 12-26-2006 06:33 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 PM.