Noob looking for a FO(native fish) setup - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-13-2011, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Noob looking for a FO(native fish) setup

Hello looking into getting into saltwater by having a native fish tank. I live right on the bay and would like to keep native fish that i catch. What would the ideal setup be. Im looking into getting a 55 g tank. Has to be budget minded so help me out with not sugesting crazy filters with huge price tags ( im a kid)
Benm1020 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 05-14-2011, 12:47 AM
New Member
 
Hamstern's Avatar
 
well

it really depends on the water temperature and if you can replicate the enviroment of the lifeforms in question.
Hamstern is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 05-14-2011, 02:49 AM
Where exactly do u live around so o will know what kind of fish they are and what they will need

You should check out my Pics and Albums!


Please leave a comment on them too


Thankyou!
kane chisholme is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 05-14-2011, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kane chisholme View Post
Where exactly do u live around so o will know what kind of fish they are and what they will need
I live in nj the fish i can get range from fluke, striped bass , blue fish and get some tropical/gulf fishes from the gulf stream
Benm1020 is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 05-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Member
 
onefish2fish's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benm1020 View Post
I live in nj the fish i can get range from fluke, striped bass , blue fish and get some tropical/gulf fishes from the gulf stream
i think all mentioned fish will need a tank larger then a 55 gallon.
onefish2fish is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 05-14-2011, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Yea i guess i could maybe get anything up to a 100g tank. I was just saying common fish we get i wouldnt keep what i said together because they would prob. Attack eachother

I Cant really release them back in the bay right?
Benm1020 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 05-15-2011, 03:15 AM
New Member
 
first of all you need permits..... theres a large fine for capturing fish... just look at what type of bay your at. and what type of fish. if water is warm... uhh most likely use warm water.....
Teishokue is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 05-15-2011, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
I heard about permits but I didn't know you need it for all fish
I know that I would have to get a heater for the winter

Filter? Powerheads? Skimmer? What do I need
Posted via Mobile Device
Benm1020 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 05-17-2011, 03:09 AM
New Member
 
get a heater?? if its near a warm area, use a heater to keep the temperature from dropping, find a way to chill to keep the temperature from over heating. powerheads are a must or if you have a way of water flow. skimmers are a must if you are trying to keep healthy fish.

You should look into:
Sump/Refugum
Heater
Chiller (if your in areas of extreme heat)
Power head
Filtration types
Live rock

If your going a FOWLR then you dont need to worry bout light much.
If your going reef then light fixtures are a MUST.

Note most fish will already have a parasite.
If your going FOWLR then you should look into copper meds.
For reefs you CANNOT use copper meds.
I believe a basic SW tank should be fine.
Teishokue is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 05-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Member
 
onefish2fish's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teishokue View Post
get a heater?? if its near a warm area, use a heater to keep the temperature from dropping, find a way to chill to keep the temperature from over heating. powerheads are a must or if you have a way of water flow. skimmers are a must if you are trying to keep healthy fish.

You should look into:
Sump/Refugum
Heater
Chiller (if your in areas of extreme heat)
Power head
Filtration types
Live rock

If your going a FOWLR then you dont need to worry bout light much.
If your going reef then light fixtures are a MUST.

Note most fish will already have a parasite.
If your going FOWLR then you should look into copper meds.
For reefs you CANNOT use copper meds.
I believe a basic SW tank should be fine.
i have to disagree with the copper thing. treating a fish because "most" fish will have a parasite IMO isnt a good idea. taking meds for no reason can do more harm then good. i do suggest using a QT though and observe the fishes behavior, eating habbits, and overall health.
looking into a sump would be a good idea though, as this makes a great place to put a skimmer. reading online reviews about skimmers in multiple locations is a wise idea as well, as some are great and others garbage.
you may need to run a chiller to keep your temps lower simply because i dont think jersey waters ever get above the 65 degree range, and a chiller will keep a constant low temp, which would be natural to the fish. im not 100% sure on this, but its something else that needs to be considered and researched.

Last edited by onefish2fish; 05-17-2011 at 06:18 PM.
onefish2fish is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Native Fish PICS stevenjohn21 Freshwater and Tropical Fish 5 02-10-2011 04:09 PM
U.S. Native Tank Kazzy Freshwater and Tropical Fish 21 01-10-2011 09:33 PM
Just A Noob Asking A Question About Aquarium Setup danifacetastic Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 4 11-11-2010 11:03 AM
Native Cyprinids fishfreak2009 Cyprinids and Atherinids 1 08-08-2009 09:38 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome