New tank is setup. What next? - Page 3 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 143 Old 12-02-2009, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
I will be gone from Monday until the 23rd. I have a friend coming over to take care of my discus and top off this tank.

Question... do I need to do anything as far as adding livestock to this tank? If I start seeing coraline algae before I go do I add a couple of CUC members or a small fish or something? If the tank is ready for livestock will having none in there (outside of a single hitchhiker blue hermit crab) cause a negative effect (like leaving a cycled freshwater tank empty which will kill off the beneficial bacteria)?
NC Frank is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 143 Old 12-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Member
 
wake49's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Frank View Post
I will be gone from Monday until the 23rd. I have a friend coming over to take care of my discus and top off this tank.

Question... do I need to do anything as far as adding livestock to this tank? If I start seeing coraline algae before I go do I add a couple of CUC members or a small fish or something? If the tank is ready for livestock will having none in there (outside of a single hitchhiker blue hermit crab) cause a negative effect (like leaving a cycled freshwater tank empty which will kill off the beneficial bacteria)?
You will be fine leaving that tank as is. It already had life in it, all the beneficial bacteria in the Live Rock and Sand, and also some microfauna that came on the Rock and Sand. Being away for a couple weeks will help you leave the tank alone and not be tempted by an empty tank.



Nothing good happens fast in an Aquarium

My 30 Gallon Long Marine Tank
My son's 20 gallon FW Community
wake49 is offline  
post #23 of 143 Old 12-02-2009, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake49 View Post
You will be fine leaving that tank as is. It already had life in it, all the beneficial bacteria in the Live Rock and Sand, and also some microfauna that came on the Rock and Sand. Being away for a couple weeks will help you leave the tank alone and not be tempted by an empty tank.
That is the answer that I was hoping for.
NC Frank is offline  
post #24 of 143 Old 12-02-2009, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Day 7 - more signs of a diatom bloom as the gravel bed is now mostly covered with the brown stuff. The base rock is now showing more and the live rock is covered in it almost completely.

Water test results (All API tests from master and master reef test kits - salinity from a newly calibrated refractometer).

PH - 8.0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5
KH - 8
Salinity - 1.029 (don't know how this is possible as I used premixed water and RO for top offs.
NC Frank is offline  
post #25 of 143 Old 12-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Member
 
onefish2fish's Avatar
 
who calibrated the refracto and what was used to do it?
onefish2fish is offline  
post #26 of 143 Old 12-02-2009, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2fish View Post
who calibrated the refracto and what was used to do it?
I brought the refractometer and a water sample to my LFS who calibrated it with a solution that they had for this purpose. They tested the water with two of their refractometers and with my new one and the results all came back the same post calibration.
NC Frank is offline  
post #27 of 143 Old 12-03-2009, 06:08 AM
Member
 
wake49's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Frank View Post
Day 7 - more signs of a diatom bloom as the gravel bed is now mostly covered with the brown stuff. The base rock is now showing more and the live rock is covered in it almost completely.

Water test results (All API tests from master and master reef test kits - salinity from a newly calibrated refractometer).

PH - 8.0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5
KH - 8
Salinity - 1.029 (don't know how this is possible as I used premixed water and RO for top offs.
Where's the Calcium results?



Nothing good happens fast in an Aquarium

My 30 Gallon Long Marine Tank
My son's 20 gallon FW Community
wake49 is offline  
post #28 of 143 Old 12-03-2009, 06:16 AM
Member
 
Pasfur's Avatar
 
If you are seeing a diatom bloom, it would be the perfect time to begin the alkalinity and calcium testing. Proper levels will help to encourage coraline, and reduce the risk of cynobacteria, hair, and thread algaes.
Pasfur is offline  
post #29 of 143 Old 12-03-2009, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
I will do the calcium and alk tests tonight.
NC Frank is offline  
post #30 of 143 Old 12-03-2009, 07:12 AM
Member
 
wake49's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Frank View Post
Day 7 - more signs of a diatom bloom as the gravel bed is now mostly covered with the brown stuff. The base rock is now showing more and the live rock is covered in it almost completely.

Water test results (All API tests from master and master reef test kits - salinity from a newly calibrated refractometer).

PH - 8.0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5
KH - 8
Salinity - 1.029 (don't know how this is possible as I used premixed water and RO for top offs.
I see a KH reading of 8 here. Is that from a Carbonate Hardness Test? If so, this is in the range, but in the lower part of the range. Test kits suggest 7-12 dKH; I try to keep mine between 8-12 dKH.



Nothing good happens fast in an Aquarium

My 30 Gallon Long Marine Tank
My son's 20 gallon FW Community
wake49 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
100 gallon tank setup severum tank mates luciano Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 12 10-10-2009 02:59 AM
4ft tank 2nd setup mark5423 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 03-10-2009 01:17 PM
tank setup jumpereb Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 10 01-20-2008 07:46 AM
new tank setup dale b Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 14 01-31-2007 03:10 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome