04-10-2009, 10:54 PM
| || |
New Tank Set up What is Needed??
Ok well I am going to get my tank soon (100g). This is my first time at a reef tank well basically first time at any real tank. I was wondering what you guys think I need for a new tank. I plan on having a sump if that helps. I currently have nothing and the tank is not drilled but I think I might get it drilled also if I do that does anyone have a step by step overflow directions on DIY if so please explain like I am 5 yrs old so I understand everything. A fellow reefer recommend me a list of things that I would need if you guys would not mind adding on to it or listing certain brands that you like or think would be good please feel free to list them. Also if you have any sites that sells equipment cheap please list them to.
1. Power heads to create movement. At least two |
2. Protein skimmer to remove dissolved solids and organics.
3. Overflow to allow water to flow out of the tank to sump, fuge or canister filter.
4. Tank or prebuilt for sump/fuge if using one
5. Canister filter if not using a sump/fuge
6. Pump for returning water from the sump/fuge to the tank. DO NOT exceed the flow of your over flow!
7. Plumbing for the overflow and return
8. Glass for baffles if using a tank instead of a prebuilt sump.
9. Silicone tank sealant to attach baffles.
10. Timer power strip/s
11. Lighting for the display tank and sump/fuge.
12. Live sand, or dead sand and a starter culture of live sand.
13. Base rock w/live rock, or live rock. Base rock is cheaper than live and will become live in a few weeks-months if you use a few pieces of live rock.
I never new that base rock could turn live does it really only take weeks to a couple months? I plan on having a mixed reef tank if that helps with the list.