I did a small ~2 gallon water change to see how my numbers would go. Seems like the ammonia number is still there and puzzling me. Maybe I'm just color blind with the print out I made from their website.
Anyways, I'm definitely seeing diatom growth on the sandbed and a little on the higher LR. I'm using 2 18" 6500k t8's right now just propped on the tank, but it seems to at least be supporting some algae. Once I figure out whether I truly have any ammonia in my tank or not I'm going to pick up some snails.
Birthday is coming up next week so I will have some $$$ to buy my light fixture and HOB refugium. I'll get pics once I have the refugium and lights up.