My New Tank - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 125 Old 09-04-2011, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
My New Tank

hey guys i just started a new salt water 20g tank. The salt lvl is sitting at 1.022-1.024 and all other chemicals are in line ( pH 8.5, N03 is zero as well as N02). i just introduce live rock to my tank on saturday and today (sunday) ive notice alot of little creatures moving about. does anyone have a web page that i could use to identify these creatures. i will post pics soon

thanks for the help
Talon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 125 Old 09-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Member
 
onefish2fish's Avatar
 
no website, but would GUESS they are copepods and amphipods as well as bristle worms. all are good to have.

you can google these things and compare them to what you have. other common possiblities are sponges, feather dusters, aptasia, coraline algae..
may not be much help but a good start.

welcome to the forum.
onefish2fish is offline  
post #3 of 125 Old 09-04-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
i just check with the images on yahoo.com. it looks like i have alot aptasia (7-12 of them) all over the rocks. are they good for the tank if i have no corals?
Talon is offline  
post #4 of 125 Old 09-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Member
 
teddyzaper's Avatar
 
i would personally keep them under control, but they usually don't hurt fish, unless they are fragile fish or fish that sit on rocks. They may hurt your CUC though. You can use lemon juice (squeeze a lemon) to kill them. Put the lemon juice in a turkey baster and squirt just enough to make them shrink.
Again, they are not threatening, but its better to have them under control, and i was always taught to kill them, so its a good habit to get used to.

Subject: Larry LaPrise dead at 93

With all the sadness and trauma going on in the world at the moment, it is worth reflecting on the death of a very important person, which almost went unnoticed last week.

Larry LaPrise, the man that wrote "The Hokey Pokey" died peacefully at the age of 93. The most traumatic part for his family was getting him into the coffin. They put his left leg in. And then the trouble started.
teddyzaper is offline  
post #5 of 125 Old 09-05-2011, 12:48 AM
New Member
 
Is it possible that an aptasia can put itself inside of a zoanthid?? i had aiptasia around my zoanthids so i used aiptasia-x to get rid of them and i got a shrimp to help the problem...and it seems like they had gone away but there is this little thing in the middle of my zoa colony that sucks in this white string.....i picked up the coral that my zoas (and the little unknown thing) were on to take a picture to ask if some one could identify it and it released little brown pellets....does anybody have any idea what that is?????
Vfgonzales22 is offline  
post #6 of 125 Old 09-05-2011, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
also i wanted to know if i had alot of the requirements for a 20g FOLR tank. right now i have the tank, a dual lighting system with 18k coral light and a marine light. heater rated for a 50g tank. aqua clear 50 which has a 200gph outflow, and 11lbs of live rock.

i still need to get either live sand or crushed corals.

what would u guys pick sand or crushed corals? and do you guys see anything else i should have>?
Talon is offline  
post #7 of 125 Old 09-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfgonzales22 View Post
Is it possible that an aptasia can put itself inside of a zoanthid?? i had aiptasia around my zoanthids so i used aiptasia-x to get rid of them and i got a shrimp to help the problem...and it seems like they had gone away but there is this little thing in the middle of my zoa colony that sucks in this white string.....i picked up the coral that my zoas (and the little unknown thing) were on to take a picture to ask if some one could identify it and it released little brown pellets....does anybody have any idea what that is?????
Zoas will grab food in the water column, might have been something flaoting around that it grabbed, see if you can grab it out of its mouth.
Reefing Madness is offline  
post #8 of 125 Old 09-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon View Post
i just check with the images on yahoo.com. it looks like i have alot aptasia (7-12 of them) all over the rocks. are they good for the tank if i have no corals?
No, they will overcome the tank no matter what, corals or no corals. If you just put the rock in, take it out and bake it. That'll do the trick.
Reefing Madness is offline  
post #9 of 125 Old 09-05-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefing Madness View Post
No, they will overcome the tank no matter what, corals or no corals. If you just put the rock in, take it out and bake it. That'll do the trick.

really? there that dangerous to the tank that they will overgrow everything. well that sucks then i guess i have no choice.
Talon is offline  
post #10 of 125 Old 09-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon View Post
really? there that dangerous to the tank that they will overgrow everything. well that sucks then i guess i have no choice.
It depends on which one you really have in there. But yes, they are nasty. Once you get live dusters or polyps growing of any kind, the Aiptasia will sting them.
Aiptasia
Reefing Madness is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome