My 55 Gal Saltwater Build - Page 5
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks » Beginner Saltwater Aquariums » My 55 Gal Saltwater Build

My 55 Gal Saltwater Build

This is a discussion on My 55 Gal Saltwater Build within the Beginner Saltwater Aquariums forums, part of the Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks category; --> So im starting to have a hair algea problem. What should i get to keep this under control? I have read online that some ...

Check out these saltwater fish profiles
Powder Blue Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Zebra Moray
Zebra Moray
Like Tree26Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
My 55 Gal Saltwater Build
Old 09-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #41
 
So im starting to have a hair algea problem. What should i get to keep this under control? I have read online that some tang and shrimp eat this stuff, but which ones can i get in my tank?
brandonmayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #42
 
badxgillen's Avatar
 
Scopas and the bristle tooth tangs stay small but they may be a tad too large for your tank in the long run especially if you pack it with live rock. I might just suggest a sally lite foot crab as they are cheaper and do a number on hair algaes. I also like mexican redleg hermits and their relatives as they seem to like the hair algae. Another is a sea hare but once the algae is gone you will have to rehome it as that is all they eat and without it they will starve.
aussieJJDude likes this.
badxgillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #43
 
Well i got me a sally lightfoot crab. Also decided to get an emerald crab while i was at it. Here is a picture from when i was getting them acclimated.
aussieJJDude likes this.
brandonmayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #44
 
badxgillen's Avatar
 
You will love these guys,functional and stylish.
badxgillen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to badxgillen For This Useful Post:
brandonmayberry (09-10-2013)
Old 09-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #45
 
aussieJJDude's Avatar
 
Wow, they look so cool!
Any pics of them inside the tank haha, all these saltie tanks are making me jelly!
brandonmayberry likes this.
aussieJJDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #46
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieJJDude View Post
Wow, they look so cool!
Any pics of them inside the tank haha, all these saltie tanks are making me jelly!
No i dont have any of them in the tank. They are hard to get pics of because the Emerald hides under the rocks during the day, and the sally lightfoot isnt real active yet, its still getting accustom to my tank. Ill try to snap some if i ever get the chance.

On a side note, i think im going to get my fish next week. Right now my list is
2 Ocellaris Clown Fish
1 pac blue hippo tang
1 yellow watchman goby
1 tiger pistol shrimp

How does this sound to you guys? anything i should not get, or anything i should get that i dont have listed?
aussieJJDude likes this.
brandonmayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #47
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmayberry View Post
No i dont have any of them in the tank. They are hard to get pics of because the Emerald hides under the rocks during the day, and the sally lightfoot isnt real active yet, its still getting accustom to my tank. Ill try to snap some if i ever get the chance.

On a side note, i think im going to get my fish next week. Right now my list is
2 Ocellaris Clown Fish
1 pac blue hippo tang
1 yellow watchman goby
1 tiger pistol shrimp

How does this sound to you guys? anything i should not get, or anything i should get that i dont have listed?
Your tank is WAY too small for a hippo tang (or any other tang, for that matter). It needs more like 180 gallons.
brandonmayberry likes this.
arnoldrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #48
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldrew View Post
Your tank is WAY too small for a hippo tang (or any other tang, for that matter). It needs more like 180 gallons.
That was what i originally thought, but the website that is selling that one recommends only a 50 gallon minimum. Which i why i was confused. I didnt know if maybe it was a captive bread tang, therefore it wouldnt grow as much or something.
Here is a link to the fish.
Pac Blue Hippo Tang, Regal Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus) | Reefs2go.com

However i have just done some more research on the tang since you said that, and found someone asking a similar question about the different sites showing different sizes. I think it would be most humane and logical to just skip on the tang. Therefore im going to need a different fish. I want something bright, colorful, and easy to care for. Any suggestions?

Last edited by brandonmayberry; 09-13-2013 at 07:59 AM..
brandonmayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #49
 
Now looking at maybe a royal dottyback
Royal Dottyback

Thoughts, concerns, comments?
brandonmayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #50
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmayberry View Post
That was what i originally thought, but the website that is selling that one recommends only a 50 gallon minimum. Which i why i was confused. I didnt know if maybe it was a captive bread tang, therefore it wouldnt grow as much or something.
Here is a link to the fish.
Pac Blue Hippo Tang, Regal Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus) | Reefs2go.com

However i have just done some more research on the tang since you said that, and found someone asking a similar question about the different sites showing different sizes. I think it would be most humane and logical to just skip on the tang. Therefore im going to need a different fish. I want something bright, colorful, and easy to care for. Any suggestions?
A site that is selling fish wants you to think the fish is as easy to care for as they can get away with to make it more likely you will buy it. That fish gets a foot long. If you contacted them and asked (and were lucky enough to get a representative who is both knowledgeable and honest) they would tell you a 50 gallon tank is the minimum for the 2" juvenile they would ship you. Those fish selling sites don't always twist the truth (or downright lie) but you need to do plenty of research independent of them. I would consider it the same as advice from my LFS or Petsmart.
arnoldrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
60gal saltwater tank first build need HELP Trinidadian ReefR Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 2 02-26-2013 01:16 PM
New to saltwater red sea 34g build/learning experience! ChrisK Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 52 10-10-2012 02:41 PM
FW 240 Gal. (My Build) Jay702 Freshwater Journals 62 07-07-2012 08:18 AM
120 gal build ledrel Saltwater Journals 8 03-28-2009 09:35 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 AM.