My 55 Gal Saltwater Build - Page 4
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks » Beginner Saltwater Aquariums » My 55 Gal Saltwater Build

My 55 Gal Saltwater Build

This is a discussion on My 55 Gal Saltwater Build within the Beginner Saltwater Aquariums forums, part of the Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks category; --> Originally Posted by badxgillen I just noticed you have fine sand. This will make it hard to get the high flow you want to ...

Check out these saltwater fish profiles
Emperor Angelfish
Emperor Angelfish
Coral Beauty Angel
Coral Beauty Angel
Like Tree26Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
My 55 Gal Saltwater Build
Old 09-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #31
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by badxgillen View Post
I just noticed you have fine sand. This will make it hard to get the high flow you want to help with keeping the various algaes ,particularly cyanobacteria,at bay. You may want to add some absorption media to alleviate some of the unsightly issues and look into a creature that can stir the sand some for you.There are plenty of candidates out there.
I was planing to get something to move the sand around. Maybe a starfish or something. Do i need to wait until my cycle is complete thou?
brandonmayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #32
 
badxgillen's Avatar
 
Seeing as your ammonia has passed and you are getting nitrates you should be able to start with some light livestock.Remeber that the sand sifting stars are voracious and will clean out a bed of sand in a matter of a few days than be left with not much to eat.If you want a star I would wait but remember there are still a number of other sifters. Nasarius snails,pistol shrimp,certain sea cucumbers,good sized hermit crabs,diamond gobies and there relatives. Thats just off the top of my head.
aussieJJDude likes this.
badxgillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #33
 
Yea i forgot about the starfish have a problem with starving. Ill probably start with some snails and crabs then. I may wait a few more days and do some more readings to make sure.
brandonmayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #34
 
I went ahead and ordered me some snails and crab. They came in yesterday, and ive been watching them all move around the tank for hours. I got, 20 Nassarius Snails, 20 Cerith Snails, 10 XLG Cerith Snails, 5 Turbo Snails, 20 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, and 5 Mexican Red Leg Hermit Crabs.Also got 100 extra shells.On a side not, i found another coral in the tank i didnt know i had. It was down hiding behind a rock a little bit and i looked through the side and saw it.
aussieJJDude likes this.
brandonmayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #35
 
badxgillen's Avatar
 
Now THATS a clean up crew. They should go to town on that tank. Dont forget that higher flow is a good way to keep detritus from settling as well as making it harder for algaes to get a foot hold. Do you know what the coral is?
aussieJJDude likes this.
badxgillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #36
 
aussieJJDude's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmayberry View Post
I went ahead and ordered me some snails and crab. They came in yesterday, and ive been watching them all move around the tank for hours. I got, 20 Nassarius Snails, 20 Cerith Snails, 10 XLG Cerith Snails, 5 Turbo Snails, 20 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, and 5 Mexican Red Leg Hermit Crabs.Also got 100 extra shells.On a side not, i found another coral in the tank i didnt know i had. It was down hiding behind a rock a little bit and i looked through the side and saw it.
Any pics of some of the clean-up crew?? :)
This thread is worthless with out pics!
aussieJJDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #37
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by badxgillen View Post
Now THATS a clean up crew. They should go to town on that tank. Dont forget that higher flow is a good way to keep detritus from settling as well as making it harder for algaes to get a foot hold. Do you know what the coral is?
Not sure what it is. I have two clusters of these guys.


aussieJJDude likes this.
brandonmayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #38
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieJJDude View Post
Any pics of some of the clean-up crew?? :)
This thread is worthless with out pics!
aussieJJDude likes this.
brandonmayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #39
 
badxgillen's Avatar
 
Gold\Yellow Polyps,Parazoanthus I believe. Although I don't think its set in some yet. They can be fed or can just rely on the zooxanthelae. They can sting other corals especially stony. They look happy :)
aussieJJDude likes this.
badxgillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #40
 
aussieJJDude's Avatar
 
All those pics are amazing! Thanks!
aussieJJDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
60gal saltwater tank first build need HELP Trinidadian ReefR Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 2 02-26-2013 02:16 PM
New to saltwater red sea 34g build/learning experience! ChrisK Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 52 10-10-2012 03:41 PM
FW 240 Gal. (My Build) Jay702 Freshwater Journals 62 07-07-2012 09:18 AM
120 gal build ledrel Saltwater Journals 8 03-28-2009 10:35 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 AM.