me with another filtration question..lol.. - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks » Beginner Saltwater Aquariums » me with another filtration question..lol..

me with another filtration question..lol..

This is a discussion on me with another filtration question..lol.. within the Beginner Saltwater Aquariums forums, part of the Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks category; --> Originally Posted by trukgirl trate readings? Do you mean nitrate? The combo of my rena canister and the prizm is actually pretty good now ...

Check out these saltwater fish profiles
Ocellaris Clownfish
Ocellaris Clownfish
Naso Tang
Naso Tang
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
me with another filtration question..lol..
Old 10-15-2011, 12:03 AM   #11
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trukgirl View Post
trate readings? Do you mean nitrate?

The combo of my rena canister and the prizm is actually pretty good now that we have it dialed in, haven't had to do a water change in a VERY long time. Just have to clean the filter media in the canister on a regular basis. I bought it used from the same guy I got the tank from, and it does fine now, in a 44g. Not saying everyone else can use them with sucess but mine is good.

I have an AquaEuroUSA nano skimmer that I ran in a 20g tall I used to have. It worked VERY VERY well but made lots of bubbles.
What are your water readings? And, yes trates are short for Nitrates. What are your Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, ALK, CA, and Phosphate readings?
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:12 AM   #12
 
trukgirl's Avatar
 
This isn't my thread, it was a thread about someone asking if he could use a skimmer and filter instead of a sump. I was only using one of my tanks as an example that it could be done.

I never have any problems with this tank, it runs itself therefore I don't NEED to do water changes, if that was what the red lettering was for. I may not have 12 yrs experience but I don't think I'm some kind of total noob. There are several others on this website that I know don't do "regular" water changes but only do it if something is wrong. I would consider myself one of those people and use the same theory with my reef tanks, and have plenty of healthy, thriving coral and fish.

If it will make you happy, I will post the readings tomorrow since I have to test my 125 anyways.
trukgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #13
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trukgirl View Post
This isn't my thread, it was a thread about someone asking if he could use a skimmer and filter instead of a sump. I was only using one of my tanks as an example that it could be done.

I never have any problems with this tank, it runs itself therefore I don't NEED to do water changes, if that was what the red lettering was for. I may not have 12 yrs experience but I don't think I'm some kind of total noob. There are several others on this website that I know don't do "regular" water changes but only do it if something is wrong. I would consider myself one of those people and use the same theory with my reef tanks, and have plenty of healthy, thriving coral and fish.

If it will make you happy, I will post the readings tomorrow since I have to test my 125 anyways.
I don't do regular water changes either.........But I carbon dose. And my water parameters are as follows.
Ammonia-0
Nitrates-0
Nitrites-0
Phospahtes-0
I was just replying to your message about the Prizm, which i tested on my 125g awhile ago. And, whith what I came away with was, that it wasn't fit for a 30g tank.
Heres what you do. Borrow a good skimmer from someone you know, put it on your tank for 2 weeks, then you will see the difference. Proof is in seeing for yourself. Don't trust what I'm saying, check out everything I advise. If I havent' tried it, I would not advise the use of it.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:46 PM   #14
 
trukgirl's Avatar
 
Sorry it just seemed like you were jumping on me about it and trying to push advice that I didn't ask for. (A lot of ppl on another forum do this a LOT)

I guess after I finally take down the 65g I could try the skimmer in there, but it will make a lot of bubbles in the tank. What kind of skimmer are you talking about borrowing? I'm sure someone in SLASH (my local club) would have something...

Params this afternoon were (not too long after the eel got fed)
Amm .25
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 5
SG - 1.023
CA - 460
GH - 11
Phos - .25
trukgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #15
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trukgirl View Post
Sorry it just seemed like you were jumping on me about it and trying to push advice that I didn't ask for. (A lot of ppl on another forum do this a LOT)

I guess after I finally take down the 65g I could try the skimmer in there, but it will make a lot of bubbles in the tank. What kind of skimmer are you talking about borrowing? I'm sure someone in SLASH (my local club) would have something...

Params this afternoon were (not too long after the eel got fed)
Amm .25
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 5
SG - 1.023
CA - 460
GH - 11
Phos - .25
Yikes. No, I'm not here to jump anyone, I've been on those forums getting my butt handed to me verbally, and I didn't like it, so I would certainly hope not to pull that on anyone else. So, if my answer was out of line, my apologies.
Now:
Your water: YIKES
To borrow. Hmm, would you be able to hunt down a Reef Octopus HOB? SWC Skimmer? Deltec? I would think you could get your hands on a Reef Octopus, you will be very suprised how well these things work.
Also, not for nothing, and alot of people will be suprised, but if you get a Coralife SUper SKimmer and modify it, it also works very well.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #16
 
trukgirl's Avatar
 
Whats wrong besides the tiny bit of Amm and Phos, and the nitrates? Am I missing something? I haven't done a WC in about 3 months so I'd say its due.

Whatever skimmer has to be hang on back. No room in the skinny stand this tank is on for a sump.
trukgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #17
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trukgirl;863884[COLOR=red
]Whats wrong besides the tiny bit of Amm and Phos, and the nitrates[/color]? Am I missing something? I haven't done a WC in about 3 months so I'd say its due.

Whatever skimmer has to be hang on back. No room in the skinny stand this tank is on for a sump.
Considering your not supposed to have any of those readings in a saltwater tank you mean? Ammonia is very dangerous to fish and corals, Nitrites are really close to that, Nitrates are ok even at high levels for fish only, corals are ok with them in the low range, 20 or below, not including SPS. Ammonia Kills fish.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #18
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trukgirl View Post
Whats wrong besides the tiny bit of Amm and Phos, and the nitrates? Am I missing something? I haven't done a WC in about 3 months so I'd say its due.

Whatever skimmer has to be hang on back. No room in the skinny stand this tank is on for a sump.
The ones that I listed all have a Hang On Back (HOB) skimmer.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #19
 
trukgirl's Avatar
 
This is a FOWLR tank. Eel, lionfish, choc chip star, and pincushion urchin are only inhabitants. NO CORAL.
I feed the eel 2-3x/wk and a while after he is fed the ammonia always goes up a tiny bit.

The ammonia was on the first line, 0.25. Not 20. Nitrate was on the 3rd line so yes I did a water change yesterday.
trukgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #20
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trukgirl View Post
This is a FOWLR tank. Eel, lionfish, choc chip star, and pincushion urchin are only inhabitants. NO CORAL.
I feed the eel 2-3x/wk and a while after he is fed the ammonia always goes up a tiny bit.

The ammonia was on the first line, 0.25. Not 20. Nitrate was on the 3rd line so yes I did a water change yesterday.
Ammonia should never go up. You have enough bacteria in the water to take care of the feeding with no problem.
Ammonia - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki
  • Ammonia is produced constantly via the gills of fish, by the aquatic animals waste products decaying and the decay of plant and fish food.
  • Ammonia causes gill damage and eventually skin damage and death.
  • In general, ammonia is more toxic at higher alkaline pH values and as the temperature of the water increases
I'm outta this one. Post what you will. Ammonia is bad for fish. Its up to you at this point to realize that it does not matter if its a Reef or FOWLR. Its a bad thing. Thats is why we do not recommend using fish to cycle tanks, they usually die from the Ammonia.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
filtration question wannalearn Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 6 09-28-2011 08:25 PM
Question about filtration (esp with ich). Austin Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 9 02-16-2010 07:03 AM
question about filtration molliefan09 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 20 11-04-2009 07:17 AM
Filtration question adiumroot Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 10 04-29-2009 11:55 AM
question about filtration kev152 Saltwater Aquarium Equipment 1 04-30-2007 10:16 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.