Little Sand Problem. Help Please - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 06-29-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Little Sand Problem. Help Please

Recently my sand has started to turn green and stick together almost in sheets. Its only doing this in the very front of my tank and every where I have searched to try and figure out why its doing this it says it might be because there isnt enough flow there. Thats not the case here because there is plenty of flow in the front of my tank and it even blows the sand away sometimes.

All my parameters are pretty good:
Salinity: 1.026
pH: 8.3
Alk: 2-2.5 meq/L
Nitrates: 0
Nitrites: 0
Calcium: 450
Ammonia: 0

Any idea what is causing this? Here are some pictures taken on a phone, so the color is a little off and the quality is decent at best:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sand1.jpg (68.2 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg sand2.jpg (70.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg sand3.jpg (61.9 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg sand4.jpg (87.9 KB, 82 views)
JohnnyD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 06-30-2010, 02:43 PM
How long has the tank been set up?
What type of sand do you have?
Has anything changed or been added just before this started?
How many hours per day do you leave the light on?

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"
tanks4thememories is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 06-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Member
 
TexasTanker's Avatar
 
Is it live sand?

"Good schools do not make one educated. The ability and desire to learn makes one educated."

"Knowledge does not make a person smart. Utilizing that knowledge makes them smart."
TexasTanker is offline  
post #4 of 24 Old 06-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTanker View Post
Is it live sand?
All sand and rock is eventually 'Live" after it has been in a marine aquarium long enough. Unfortunately all "live" sand is not made of the same materials because people choose different ways and materials to start their aquariums.

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"
tanks4thememories is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 06-30-2010, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks4thememories View Post
How long has the tank been set up?
What type of sand do you have?
Has anything changed or been added just before this started?
How many hours per day do you leave the light on?
Tank has been up since late November-early December. I bought live sand from the LFS, paid like 5 extra bucks for the "pre-rinsed" sand which clouded up anyway haha. I havent added anything in a while. The last thing I added was the 6 line wrasse and that was probably late april-early may. Actitics come on an hour before and stay on an hour longer than the rest of the lights, which are on for 12 hours a day.
JohnnyD is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 06-30-2010, 06:50 PM
Member
 
onefish2fish's Avatar
 
try adding a dozen nassarious snails to help stir the sand bed
onefish2fish is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 06-30-2010, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Tank has been up since late November-early December. I bought live sand from the LFS, paid like 5 extra bucks for the "pre-rinsed" sand which clouded up anyway haha. I havent added anything in a while. The last thing I added was the 6 line wrasse and that was probably late april-early may. Actitics come on an hour before and stay on an hour longer than the rest of the lights, which are on for 12 hours a day.

Hmmm. See if this sounds like your problem?
http://www.fishtankforums.com/posts/...689-post5.html

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"
tanks4thememories is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 07-01-2010, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks4thememories View Post
Hmmm. See if this sounds like your problem?
http://www.fishtankforums.com/posts/...689-post5.html
Yea, i came across that post when i was googling it. This would have to be a last resort for me I guess because I am worried about my corals with this method. I tried just scooping out all the sand and giving it a little stir myself. We will see if this had any benefit or not.
JohnnyD is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 07-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Yea, i came across that post when i was googling it. This would have to be a last resort for me I guess because I am worried about my corals with this method. I tried just scooping out all the sand and giving it a little stir myself. We will see if this had any benefit or not.
Ok sorry I couldn't be more help. I am still researching it myself. I have never seen anything like that before...lol
I'm curious Are the clumps hard or spongy?

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"
tanks4thememories is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 07-01-2010, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks4thememories View Post
Ok sorry I couldn't be more help. I am still researching it myself. I have never seen anything like that before...lol
I'm curious Are the clumps hard or spongy?
No need to apologize. I appreciate all your help. Yea, it is pretty interesting haha. The clumps are soft, but it stays in tact pretty well in the form of sheets that are about a quarter inch thick. The top of the sheet is a little harder than the bottom tho.

I dunno if this assumption is correct, but it might be some kind of algae. The only reason I think this is because the bubble algae on one of my live rocks is also flourishing... almost so much im beginning to worry it wont stop haha. Maybe the conditions in my tank are overly favorable to algae at the moment for some reason? Just a thought...
JohnnyD is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Converting to Sand, Sand sale/ Costco Container for QT or Nano tank eileen Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 4 06-27-2010 06:44 PM
live sand versus extra sand newby30gallon Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 3 04-25-2010 12:11 PM
Too late for live sand? (2 months in, used plain sand) Solarfall Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 6 08-05-2009 06:44 PM
New tank, sand settling problem dp0350 Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 8 04-27-2008 12:10 PM
Live sand Question how do you mix live sand and unlive sand raymi17 Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 6 02-13-2007 02:22 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome