Inaccurate hydrometer? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-06-2010, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Inaccurate hydrometer?

I heavily modified the skimmer on my nano tank earlier, in a hugely positive way. In no time it had sucked out tons of crud.

I then checked the salinity with my hydrometer (cheap, but for aquarium use). It was high, 1.028ish. I topped the tank up and the salinity went back to 1.024 or thereabouts.

My skimmer is now not foaming whatsoever. It is bubbling up a bit, but certainly not how it was or how I expect it too.

Could it be that the hydrometer is inaccurate causing me to have the tank at an extremely low salinity, which is in turn stopping the skimmer from functioning correctly? This is just a stab in the dark - I know that skimmers don't foam in freshwater like they do in salt.
willieturnip is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 01-06-2010, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieturnip View Post
I heavily modified the skimmer on my nano tank earlier, in a hugely positive way. In no time it had sucked out tons of crud.

I then checked the salinity with my hydrometer (cheap, but for aquarium use). It was high, 1.028ish. I topped the tank up and the salinity went back to 1.024 or thereabouts.

My skimmer is now not foaming whatsoever. It is bubbling up a bit, but certainly not how it was or how I expect it too.

Could it be that the hydrometer is inaccurate causing me to have the tank at an extremely low salinity, which is in turn stopping the skimmer from functioning correctly? This is just a stab in the dark - I know that skimmers don't foam in freshwater like they do in salt.

Edit: Oops, wrong sub-forum.


EDIT: Arrgghh, that was meant to be an edit! In all fairness it is 3:30am..


Edit: It's started kicking foam out again. I'm not even sure if it ever stopped anymore, I need some sleep.

Last edited by willieturnip; 01-06-2010 at 09:35 PM.
willieturnip is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 01-16-2010, 04:43 AM
Member
 
zaitmi's Avatar
 
okay. yes.
zaitmi is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 01-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Member
 
molliefan09's Avatar
 
if you are concerned about your hydrometer being off you can check it by piutting a drop of saline on it and it should read 1.000

"Fish are friends not food"
molliefan09 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 01-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Member
 
wake49's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by molliefan09 View Post
if you are concerned about your hydrometer being off you can check it by piutting a drop of saline on it and it should read 1.000

I think that's for a refractometer. Hydrometers need to be filled with water to get a reading.



Nothing good happens fast in an Aquarium

My 30 Gallon Long Marine Tank
My son's 20 gallon FW Community
wake49 is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 01-17-2010, 03:09 AM
New Member
 
CamryDS's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake49 View Post
I think that's for a refractometer. Hydrometers need to be filled with water to get a reading.

pick up a refractometer, you'll never regret it.

I want to throw my hydrometer against the wall and smash it.


-=+8 Gallon Planted+=-
Fauna:
1x Honey Gourami
2x Otocinclus Affinis
6x Flame Tetra
6x Ember Tetra
2x Apple Snail (Hitched on Rotala)

Flora:
Dwarf Sagittaria
Ludwigia Repens X L. Arcuata
Staurogyne Repen
Cryptocoryne lutea
Cryptocoryne Wendti
Cryptocoryne spiralis
Amazon Sword
Java Moss
Java Fern
Anubias minima
Water Primrose
Pogostemon Yatabeanus
Limnophila sp. 'mini'
CamryDS is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 01-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Member
 
Twistersmom's Avatar
 
I only have brackish tanks, so I do use a hydrometer. (even though, not as accurate as a refractometer) I was concerned at one time, that it was giving me inaccurate readings. I took some tank water to the LFS to be tested for comparison.
Twistersmom is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hydrometer Rogergolf66 Saltwater Aquarium Equipment 6 01-29-2007 04:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome