Help with aquarium - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-03-2010, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Help with aquarium

Hey all, hows it going?

first off im new to keeping fish, apart from the odd gold fish as a kid. Im looking to buy an aquarium suitable for salt water and tropical fish idealy with light, filter and heater.
basically im wondering what tank to get and whats best for my money. Ive been looking at an aqua one 620 as this is in my price range (£100-200) and, as i understand it, has all of the equipment i need to start off.

any help would be greatly apriciated.
thanks in advance.
Vdub08 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 06-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Member
 
willow's Avatar
 
hello and welcome.
sorry you have confussed me(not hard to do)
are you looking to buy two tanks then ?

when you set up a new tank,hide an extra
sponge or two behind some decor,that way you have
something seeded for you next filter.
willow is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 06-03-2010, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow View Post
hello and welcome.
sorry you have confussed me(not hard to do)
are you looking to buy two tanks then ?
sorry, just want one tank thats suitable for tropical or saltwater.
Vdub08 is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 06-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Member
 
willow's Avatar
 
sorry
that's a nice looking tank,you may have to wait for a saltie to wonder by coz i don't
know about using it for that,but fresh water,yes it would be fine.

when you set up a new tank,hide an extra
sponge or two behind some decor,that way you have
something seeded for you next filter.
willow is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 06-03-2010, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow View Post
sorry
that's a nice looking tank,you may have to wait for a saltie to wonder by coz i don't
know about using it for that,but fresh water,yes it would be fine.
do you know if juwel tanks are any good also? i know its a bit more expensive but i love the look of the vision 180. or can you recommend a good tank (100lr -/+)?
cheers
Vdub08 is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 06-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Member
 
willow's Avatar
 
i've got a small juwell tank,had it for years,it's got my toads in it.
i think they are a good make.i've also got a fluval vincenza bow front
(wouldn't buy a bow front again,too much distortion.)
that 180 looks really nice.
i don't think they come reef ready though,so you'd need to buy all the equipment for saltie.

when you set up a new tank,hide an extra
sponge or two behind some decor,that way you have
something seeded for you next filter.
willow is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 06-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Member
 
wake49's Avatar
 
If you are going saltwater, you are better purchasing equipment piece by piece. A lot of these "all inclusive" systems are no good for saltwater. You end up not using half the equipment that comes with it.

To give you an idea: The main form of filtration in a saltwater tank is Live Rock, Live Sand and a Protein Skimmer. Therefore, the canister filter that comes with most of these will end up collecting dust (believe me, I know from experience). Usually the light system is ok for rudimentary saltwater fishkeeping, but if you want to keep corals or other inverts, most of the time you have to upgrade the lights.

What are your ultimate plans?



Nothing good happens fast in an Aquarium

My 30 Gallon Long Marine Tank
My son's 20 gallon FW Community
wake49 is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 06-03-2010, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake49 View Post
If you are going saltwater, you are better purchasing equipment piece by piece. A lot of these "all inclusive" systems are no good for saltwater. You end up not using half the equipment that comes with it.

To give you an idea: The main form of filtration in a saltwater tank is Live Rock, Live Sand and a Protein Skimmer. Therefore, the canister filter that comes with most of these will end up collecting dust (believe me, I know from experience). Usually the light system is ok for rudimentary saltwater fishkeeping, but if you want to keep corals or other inverts, most of the time you have to upgrade the lights.

What are your ultimate plans?
Hey, thanks for the info.
I want to get some clown fish eventually, maybe a small coral. not 100% sure exactly what i want at the end, just thought id get a good tank and start from there. ive sorta changed my mind about the aqua one 620, im thinking of getting a juwel rio 125, they look good quality, but are slightly more expensive, do you think they are any good for my needs?

thanks
Vdub08 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 06-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Member
 
willow's Avatar
 
i'll leave you in very capeable hands.
have fun.

when you set up a new tank,hide an extra
sponge or two behind some decor,that way you have
something seeded for you next filter.
willow is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 06-03-2010, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow View Post
i'll leave you in very capeable hands.
have fun.
thanks for your help matey!
Vdub08 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*First Aquarium* tfoso90 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 27 08-16-2009 02:51 AM
Can you move aquarium decorations around in a established aquarium? ShawnMcc Freshwater and Tropical Fish 6 06-02-2009 12:41 PM
not Aquarium,still DIY. willow DIY Aquarium 15 11-18-2008 04:24 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome