filtration question - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-27-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
wannalearn's Avatar
 
filtration question

been doing alot of research, and from what i hear and read, the best (and only) filtration you need it a good bed of live sand, and the right amount of live rock, plus a quality protien skimmer. my question is, i have a fluval 305, would it be a benifit from running it with only activated carbon. i have read that the other media for canster filters are not nessesary, and potentialy hazzardous to sw.. of if it matter my tank will be a 75 gal...
wannalearn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 09-28-2011, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannalearn View Post
been doing alot of research, and from what i hear and read, the best (and only) filtration you need it a good bed of live sand, and the right amount of live rock, plus a quality protien skimmer. my question is, i have a fluval 305, would it be a benifit from running it with only activated carbon. i have read that the other media for canster filters are not nessesary, and potentialy hazzardous to sw.. of if it matter my tank will be a 75 gal...
Either the carbon or phosphate remover. And you are corect about all the other stuff you mentioned.
Reefing Madness is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 09-28-2011, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
wannalearn's Avatar
 
so, carbon or phosopate remover. how about both? and while im tossing out all the other unwanted media, i should toss out the filter pads as well right....
wannalearn is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 09-28-2011, 06:31 AM
Member
 
Pasfur's Avatar
 
Filter pads, carbon, phosphate remover... all can be beneficial. The challenge is keeping detritus from accumulating on the material and within the grains. This requires a near daily cleaning. Because of this, most of us do not use these on our marine systems.
Pasfur is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 09-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannalearn View Post
so, carbon or phosopate remover. how about both? and while im tossing out all the other unwanted media, i should toss out the filter pads as well right....
Yes, toss out the pads. Both? Phosphate remover is fine and may be tough to use in that filter without adding the pads that actually catch the stuff and keep it inside. You'll have to look at phosphate reactors to see what I'm talking about. I suppose if you filter is big enough you could use them both.
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...4624&subref=AA
Reefing Madness is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 09-28-2011, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
wannalearn's Avatar
 
so as of now(i am prone to change things lol) my plan is to have filtration from plenty of live sand, and live rock, run a good skimmer, and run my fluval 305 with just carbon, what do you think. any sugestions on things to remove/add.
wannalearn is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 09-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannalearn View Post
so as of now(i am prone to change things lol) my plan is to have filtration from plenty of live sand, and live rock, run a good skimmer, and run my fluval 305 with just carbon, what do you think. any sugestions on things to remove/add.
Reefing Madness is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about filtration (esp with ich). Austin Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 9 02-16-2010 07:03 AM
Aquaclear filtration question LisaC144 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 9 11-27-2009 09:04 AM
question about filtration molliefan09 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 20 11-04-2009 07:17 AM
Filtration question adiumroot Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 10 04-29-2009 11:55 AM
question about filtration kev152 Saltwater Aquarium Equipment 1 04-30-2007 10:16 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome