Cyanobacteria, Brown Algea ??? What can it be?
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks » Beginner Saltwater Aquariums » Cyanobacteria, Brown Algea ??? What can it be?

Cyanobacteria, Brown Algea ??? What can it be?

This is a discussion on Cyanobacteria, Brown Algea ??? What can it be? within the Beginner Saltwater Aquariums forums, part of the Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks category; --> So if you have read my previous post I said I had to clean my tank every few hours because I was getting a ...

Check out these saltwater fish profiles
Black And White Percula Clownfish
Black And White Percula Clownfish
Coral Beauty Angel
Coral Beauty Angel
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Cyanobacteria, Brown Algea ??? What can it be?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
 
Cyanobacteria, Brown Algea ??? What can it be?

So if you have read my previous post I said I had to clean my tank every few hours because I was getting a diatom bloom. But it has since cleared but I do have this string algae or cyano that grows all over the tank, espesially on the high flow. It grows on the powerhead and the live rocks corals ect. It is growing alot on my SPS and it seems to be bothered and soo does my GSP that is almost always open is now closed except a few polyps. What can It be ??? I will put pictures for you to see.

IMG_20120905_161533.jpg

IMG_20120905_161540.jpg

IMG_20120905_161554.jpg
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
 
Ya gots Hair Algae and Diatoms going on. Whats your Phosphate readings? How old is the tank?
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
 
wake49's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefing Madness View Post
Ya gots Hair Algae and Diatoms going on. Whats your Phosphate readings? How old is the tank?
I feel like the bottom picture shows cyano. I definitely see GHA and diatoms, but I think he has a cyano problem too.

How old is this tank?
wake49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake49 View Post
I feel like the bottom picture shows cyano. I definitely see GHA and diatoms, but I think he has a cyano problem too.

How old is this tank?
Yea, prolly right. He's got it all going on in there right now.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefing Madness View Post
Ya gots Hair Algae and Diatoms going on. Whats your Phosphate readings? How old is the tank?
IDK on the phosphates. But I read all the time that it does not matter if the reading is 0 because the cyano eats it faster than what can be shown on the test. I know I have hair algae, not avoidable because I have no access to RO/DI water. Tank is about 10 weeks old. I added a second powerhead and it seems to be growing where the high flow is. Like one power head is pointed at the back wall and it is growing like crazy there and one is pointed to a sidewall and it grows crazy there too.

Sooo since I added the second powerhead it got worse.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
 
wake49's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
IDK on the phosphates. But I read all the time that it does not matter if the reading is 0 because the cyano eats it faster than what can be shown on the test. I know I have hair algae, not avoidable because I have no access to RO/DI water. Tank is about 10 weeks old. I added a second powerhead and it seems to be growing where the high flow is. Like one power head is pointed at the back wall and it is growing like crazy there and one is pointed to a sidewall and it grows crazy there too.

Sooo since I added the second powerhead it got worse.
Do you have a Wal-Mart near you? They have stores with a RO/Di
Unit in the store, and if not, sell RO water I'm the jugs as "drinking water". They also have steamed distilled in the jug as "distilled water". With both of these you will probably need to run a phosphate sponge, but at least you can use more pure water.
wake49 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wake49 For This Useful Post:
jdiaz (09-07-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake49 View Post
Do you have a Wal-Mart near you? They have stores with a RO/Di
Unit in the store, and if not, sell RO water I'm the jugs as "drinking water". They also have steamed distilled in the jug as "distilled water". With both of these you will probably need to run a phosphate sponge, but at least you can use more pure water.
I do, but I am alrady using gallon jugs of water that I buy from a local grocery store as drinking water. I also noticed that I saw some or better said A LOT of red bugs on my glass where the algae is growing and some white ones. They are supper tiny. I stoped my flow and all of the algae kinda got off the glass and have some free floating at the top from no flow. I am going to remove this algae thing.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
 
wake49's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
I do, but I am alrady using gallon jugs of water that I buy from a local grocery store as drinking water. I also noticed that I saw some or better said A LOT of red bugs on my glass where the algae is growing and some white ones. They are supper tiny. I stoped my flow and all of the algae kinda got off the glass and have some free floating at the top from no flow. I am going to remove this algae thing.
The bugs are good. Are you running a phosphate sponge?
wake49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
 
onefish2fish's Avatar
 
did you say red bugs? these may NOT be good and are an invasive type of flatworm.

i hope we are talking amphipods and copepods and anything else.

im curious to what your "pure waters" TDS is, just because its labeled "pure" doesnt mean they have changed their filters in a few years.

what and how often are you feeding? how is the flow in the tank? sump/skimmer/carbon/phosban?
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #10
 
wake49's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2fish View Post
did you say red bugs? these may NOT be good and are an invasive type of flatworm.

i hope we are talking amphipods and copepods and anything else.

im curious to what your "pure waters" TDS is, just because its labeled "pure" doesnt mean they have changed their filters in a few years.

what and how often are you feeding? how is the flow in the tank? sump/skimmer/carbon/phosban?
I know that "Tigger pods" are usually a brownish red color when I used to buy the bottle of them. I know they are colder water pods, but I figured that some could survive in a tank and be transferred in Live Rock... Maybe a pic would help?
wake49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Removing algea from live plant leaves/ Good algea eating fish Tetra Guy Beginner Planted Aquarium 11 06-10-2013 04:58 AM
Brown hairy algea... gatorsfan Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 3 02-09-2010 06:28 PM
Brown Algea (maybe) on tank and ornaments bigk_54 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 37 02-17-2009 11:29 AM
Brown Algea appearing Neon1 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 7 06-09-2008 05:49 PM
brown algea trreherd Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 8 04-09-2007 12:32 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.