| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools|
Re: algea problems
Originally Posted by biggdogg70g
So, what are the potential causes?
1) inadequate water flow, which has been discussed. I agree, you need a lot more water movement.
2) inefficient protein skimming. What type of skimmer are you using?
2b) inefficient use of activated carbon. Carbon removed organic waste and harmful acids from you aquarium, helping to stabilize alkalinity and calcium.
3) low alkalinity. What is yours? How do you replenish your buffer system?
4) improper use of mechanical filtration. Filter pads should be cleaned daily to allow for the removal of organic acids and detritus prior to their becoming part of the biological system, resulting in phosphate and nitrates.
5) old light bulbs. When was the last time you replaced your bulbs?
6) detritus buildups. Does your display have dead spots of low water flow? Do you remove detritus from your filters, sump, and aquarium on a regular basis? (i.e. at least weekly)
7) cleaning crew. In your tank, 60 blue leg hermits, 30 nassarius snails, and 30 Cerith snails is about right.
8. fish selections. In a small aquarium, such as a 60 gallon, you should only be keeping small fish which stay small in size. A foxface is not appropriate for this tank. They get large and the long term health of the fish would suffer. You want fish with an adult size of 6 inches or less.
9) water source, as discussed. Tap water is usually not an adequate solution for a reef environment. RO water is almost a requirement.
10) sunlight. Self-explanatory.
This is a long list, and each of these items will contribute greatly to algae and cyno outbreaks. They should all be considered suspects. We can discuss these in more detail if needed.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Algae Problem||RebF||Beginner Saltwater Aquariums||4||03-23-2010 11:00 AM|
|algae problem!||RLHam3||Beginner Freshwater Aquarium||9||01-23-2009 12:54 PM|
|Algae Problem||andulrich4all||Beginner Freshwater Aquarium||26||11-29-2008 11:51 PM|
|bad algae problem||juggy||Beginner Saltwater Aquariums||6||12-15-2007 05:12 PM|