Originally Posted by Pasfur
A 150 will make an awesome marine aquarium. The larger tank will make it much more difficult to make mistakes.
For the record, you CAN NOT set up a tank this large without using a Quarantine tank. You will have to much livestock at risk. I would suggest a 29 to 38 gallon Q tank, which can be set up with a simple biological filter.
I could sell my livestock and convert my 30 gallon Juwel I suppose. Once I go marine my cichlids won't get any attention anyway..
I was originally thinking of putting my cichlids in the new 150 and use the 30 as a small marine, but using the 150 will make things a hell of a lot more manageable.
Right, it's question time then, before I'm totally convinced..
1) Is RO water necessary for a FOWLR?
2) What does a QT consist of in marine, how is it run and what does it consist of?
3) How much live rock will I need in my 150?
4) How long does it need to be running (roughly) before I can add fish?
5) How it is possible to make regular rock into live rock?
6) Any stocking ideas?
And another question in regards to overflow plumbing. The tank is already drilled (bonus!). Why does the pipe behind the overflows in the corners of your tank, pasfur, face downwards at the end of it?