Will water wisteria grow without roots? - Page 3 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 09-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Member
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
As for the Java fern you can tie it to a rock or driftwood using fishing line or black thread. Then you won't have to worry. Btw if you buy driftwood make sure its not Mopani wood.

Boredomb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 29 Old 09-12-2013, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
lilbabyvenus's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
As for the Java fern you can tie it to a rock or driftwood using fishing line or black thread. Then you won't have to worry. Btw if you buy driftwood make sure its not Mopani wood.
Well I'm glad I didn't buy anything yet lol. I found a cute piece but it's mopani. I'll look into tying it to something else though.

Samantha
-55 gallon freshwater
-1 chihuahua (Venus), 1 five y/o monkey child, and a trucker hubby
lilbabyvenus is offline  
post #23 of 29 Old 09-12-2013, 03:55 PM
Member
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
As for the Java fern you can tie it to a rock or driftwood using fishing line or black thread. Then you won't have to worry. Btw if you buy driftwood make sure its not Mopani wood.
Is there an issue with Mopani?

Consider the needs of your fish before acting on your desires.
marshallsea is offline  
post #24 of 29 Old 09-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Member
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsea View Post
Is there an issue with Mopani?
There can be yes. Not every piece will but every piece I have ever bought has always developed fungus. Some types of fungus can be fine other are deadly to fish as you may already know. Just looking at it you can't tell them apart. As soon as I see it I would have to pull it out of the tank boil the wood and scrub it. Then put it back in the tank. That didn't always get it as it would sometimes come back and I would have to repeat. I will say this it is pretty wood but too much of a hassle for me now since I can get Malaysian driftwood locally. Mopani wood use to be all I could get and I had to make it work. Mopani also leeches tannins like crazy. That isn't a problem to me but some don't like it.

Boredomb is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Boredomb For This Useful Post:
marshallsea (09-13-2013)
post #25 of 29 Old 09-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Member
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
I guess I shouldn't have said dont get it but instead be caution about it.

Boredomb is offline  
post #26 of 29 Old 09-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Member
 
Chesh's Avatar
 
I've read in many places where people have had issues with Mopani, too - sometimes right away, sometimes not for quite some time! Of course many others have never had an issue with it, so it is generally considered to be aquarium safe, and one of the more common ones to find for sale. I definitely keep a close eye on ANY wood that I put into my tank, at least at first. Fungus is a risk you'll take with any wood, even though it *seems* to be more commonly reported with Mopani (that I've seen, anyway). From all I've read, *most* of the time, the fungus/mold that develops is harmless, and will go away itself in a short time - but there's always the oddball toxic stuff that gets reported and gives me the shivers! I've never personally used anything but Manzanita in my tanks, and always pulled and boiled and scrubbed on the few occasions I saw filmy white stuff forming. Better safe than sorry! O.O

I always boil driftwood (if possible), or at least pre-soak it before putting it in the tank - though that's no guarantee you won't have issues down the road. Pre soaking will give it a good cleaning, waterlog it so it sinks right away, and remove some of the tannins from the piece. Tannins are great for softening water, and enough of them will turn the tank a pretty tea color - a lot of people use driftwood with that goal in mind. Harder woods, like Manzanita have less tannins than softer stuff, like Mopani (which is one reason why I chose this type, my water is soft enough already). Also a good idea to give it a nice scrub with a clean scrub-brush to remove any leftover bark or debris that may be on it.

Malasian driftwood is also a very good choice for the tank, and commonly available in shops.

Driftwood is so pretty (to me!) and I think it looks fantastic underwater! Happy shopping! ^.^

Last edited by Chesh; 09-12-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Chesh is offline  
post #27 of 29 Old 09-13-2013, 12:15 AM
Member
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
There can be yes. Not every piece will but every piece I have ever bought has always developed fungus. Some types of fungus can be fine other are deadly to fish as you may already know. Just looking at it you can't tell them apart. As soon as I see it I would have to pull it out of the tank boil the wood and scrub it. Then put it back in the tank. That didn't always get it as it would sometimes come back and I would have to repeat. I will say this it is pretty wood but too much of a hassle for me now since I can get Malaysian driftwood locally. Mopani wood use to be all I could get and I had to make it work. Mopani also leeches tannins like crazy. That isn't a problem to me but some don't like it.
I have mopani and have seen fuzz come and go on it and never thought twice about it. I wonder if it's ever caused problems I blamed on something else.

Consider the needs of your fish before acting on your desires.
marshallsea is offline  
post #28 of 29 Old 09-13-2013, 02:39 AM
Member
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsea View Post
I have mopani and have seen fuzz come and go on it and never thought twice about it. I wonder if it's ever caused problems I blamed on something else.
Can't say..
But can say if it was a toxic form usually it fowls the whole water and will kill your fish.

Boredomb is offline  
post #29 of 29 Old 09-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Member
 
BradSD's Avatar
 
I have had a nice piece of Mopani for three years with a Anubias growing on it with no problems. I am not saying anyone is wrong here but sometimes it works perfectly. I would def recommend tying your java ferns and anubias to something rather than trying to attach to the substrate plus driftwood looks so natural and fish love it.
Boredomb and Chesh like this.
BradSD is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water sprite roots? smit3183 Beginner Planted Aquarium 3 07-05-2013 09:36 AM
Water Plants With Longest and Most Roots? BunkerDogFish Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 02-07-2013 02:52 PM
Question about Wisteria "air roots" Salix Beginner Planted Aquarium 3 12-02-2010 03:39 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome