I have a small algae problem and I'd like to read the latest theories on the Internet about it so I know what I'm doing.
I have a medium planted 10 g with a 15W 18" T8 Radeon light photoperiod 10 hours, inert natural gravel (a little too big), AquaClear 30 HOB on low, adequate submersible heater (circa '91)
Nh4 0, NO2 0, NO3 0, KH 1, GH 5, pH 7.2
- Trimmed the plants a few days ago
- added 1 dose Flourish Comprehensive Supplement For The Planted Aquarium
- reduced photoperiod to 9 hours
- floated pieces from trimmed Water Sprite (cover end where algae is)
- increased photoperiod back to 10 hours when I saw the algae
- lost a dead neon two weeks ago (killed by a zebra shortly after introduction)
- it has been very warm around here lately
The tank has been running no algae since 4/18. I found a small rectangle of green algae on the substrate yesterday. Makes me hesitant about using the Flourish for the time being. I'm looking at this as a big problem because I think if I don't get to the cause the algae might take over, although it seems very restricted at the time being.
I'd be happy to read a short treatment of theory on algae growth if you feel like it as well and tell me exactly what I did wrong.