Water level and light
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Beginner Planted Aquarium » Water level and light

Water level and light

This is a discussion on Water level and light within the Beginner Planted Aquarium forums, part of the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium category; --> I have a 20g tall with substrate planted Wisteria and a floating mass of Anachris and Red Leafed Ludwiga . It all has been ...

Like Tree2Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Water level and light
Old 08-06-2013, 01:09 AM   #1
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Water level and light

I have a 20g tall with substrate planted Wisteria and a floating mass of Anachris and Red Leafed Ludwiga . It all has been growing fast enough that Iv'e been cutting half of it out once every 3-4 weeks. Then I started keeping the water level about 1.5-2'' below the top. ( I had been keeping it .5'' below the top.) I did my usual cutting and although the Anachris and Ludwiga bounced back as usual, the Wisteria has really struggled. Could the lower water level reduce light?
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:45 AM   #2
 
djembekah's Avatar
 
yeah, if plants are farther from the light, that could definitely have an effect on the growth. That's why stronger lights/higher wattage (correct me if i'm wrong someone!) are recommended for taller tanks, to reach down to the substrate plants.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djembekah For This Useful Post:
marshallsea (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 02:03 AM   #3
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
It all depends on the plants Bekah. In this case I betting the lower water lvl is making it harder for the light to penetrate the water. Less of the light is making it to the bottom or to where the wisteria. The lower water is acting like a reflector lol its late and I have no clue as to what I am saying. But why not just raise the water back up and see if it makes a difference again.
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:14 AM   #4
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
It all depends on the plants Bekah. In this case I betting the lower water lvl is making it harder for the light to penetrate the water. Less of the light is making it to the bottom or to where the wisteria. The lower water is acting like a reflector lol its late and I have no clue as to what I am saying. But why not just raise the water back up and see if it makes a difference again.
The lower level is for Mystery Snails and a jumping Betta. I'm not sure how to fix this. Maybe let the Wisteria float?
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:18 AM   #5
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by djembekah View Post
yeah, if plants are farther from the light, that could definitely have an effect on the growth. That's why stronger lights/higher wattage (correct me if i'm wrong someone!) are recommended for taller tanks, to reach down to the substrate plants.
The Wisteria is no farther from the light but the water is farther from the light. The Wisteria usually grows to the top and spreads, it's just having trouble getting to the top this time, even though it's closer to the top of the water.

Last edited by marshallsea; 08-06-2013 at 02:24 AM..
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:24 AM   #6
 
djembekah's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
It all depends on the plants Bekah. In this case I betting the lower water lvl is making it harder for the light to penetrate the water. Less of the light is making it to the bottom or to where the wisteria. The lower water is acting like a reflector lol its late and I have no clue as to what I am saying. But why not just raise the water back up and see if it makes a difference again.
good to know! that makes a lot of sense. this is why other people should always check my responses xD

do you not have a hood on your tank though?
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:27 AM   #7
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsea View Post
The lower level is for Mystery Snails and a jumping Betta. I'm not sure how to fix this. Maybe let the Wisteria float?
Do you not have a hood on the tank? Or are you afraid of the Betta hitting the hood?
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:30 AM   #8
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by djembekah View Post
good to know! that makes a lot of sense. this is why other people should always check my responses xD

do you not have a hood on your tank though?
Yes, I have a hood but I need a lower water level so the snails can lay eggs out of the water.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:33 AM   #9
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
Do you not have a hood on the tank? Or are you afraid of the Betta hitting the hood?
No, the Betta is hard headed but the snails need a space out of the water to lay egg clutches.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:36 AM   #10
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsea View Post
Yes, I have a hood but I need a lower water level so the snails can lay eggs out of the water.
Ohhh OK mine lay them right on the hood. Mine will climb the side of the tank and get on the hood somehow and lay them just fine. Even had them hatch this way. More then once in fact.

Back to the wisteria. It can be grown floating with no problem usually. I had some that I had floating once and it did great. Would put off some long white roots on mine like that.

Last edited by Boredomb; 08-06-2013 at 02:42 AM..
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Light level vs. Excel dosing DKRST Beginner Planted Aquarium 5 02-19-2011 01:23 PM
Water level in filter Vicky Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 10-14-2008 08:52 AM
Water pump - above or below water level FishN00b Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 3 04-26-2007 11:30 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.