04-05-2011, 07:09 PM
| || |
Originally Posted by Byron
The best solution is to find the cause of the cyanobacteria and algae and rectify it. It is not going to dissappear unless the source is found and removed.
I would not risk the fish in order to try a "cure" which as I mentioned is not going to cure anything anyway. Some fish, those mentioned, are highly stressed if they are forced to fight currents. And shutting off the filter for half the day is not advisable.
Cyanobacteria occurs due to excess organics, plus light. Algae due to excess light, in the presence of nutrients. I would reduce the light, in intensity and possibly duration. And do a thorough "clean" to deal with the organics.
Byron, could you clarify for me what you mean by organics? Fish waste, excess fish food, dead/dying plant parts?