11-16-2009, 06:05 PM
| || |
Originally Posted by tsweers89
I figured if it gets to be to much light and I have an algae problem I can always swap out one of the bulbs for a actenic bulb, jus gotta deal with a little blue.
That doesn't work. While the plants can't manage with the actinic, algae will. If you have more intense light than what balances the nutrients which includes the CO2 from the fish, the only solution is to reduce the light period. I wouldn't go below 8 hours though. Another trick is lights on for 5-6 hours, off for 2, on for 5-6. Plants seem to grow fine with this, algae doesn't. My overriding concern though is always the brightness for the fish. I have forest fish, tetras, hatchets, pencilfish, corydoras, etc., and they come from dimly-lit waters and without going into the details I know they sparkle better with less intense light. I believe they are less stressed. On a purely economic note, lights take power and why have double the energy use when it isn't necessary?