Trying To Find A Good Light Fixture For My Planted Tank, Help? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-14-2013, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Thumbs down Trying To Find A Good Light Fixture For My Planted Tank, Help?

So I have a 65 gallon planted tank and I'm currently using two shoplight fixtures that house 2 t8 bulbs each and one single lamp t12 fixture for a total of 168 watts. These fixtures take up too much space and take too much power, so i'm thinking of going with a LED fixture. Not trying to spend more than $100 for a 48in fixture, so i was thinking of a marineland single, double, or aqueon fixture.

My current plants:
Java moss
Needle leaf fern
Marimo balls
Aponogeton bulbs
Lily bulbs
Cryptocoryne balansae
orador223 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 07-14-2013, 09:04 PM
JDM
Member
 
JDM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by orador223 View Post
So I have a 65 gallon planted tank and I'm currently using two shoplight fixtures that house 2 t8 bulbs each and one single lamp t12 fixture for a total of 168 watts. These fixtures take up too much space and take too much power, so i'm thinking of going with a LED fixture. Not trying to spend more than $100 for a 48in fixture, so i was thinking of a marineland single, double, or aqueon fixture.

My current plants:
Java moss
Needle leaf fern
Marimo balls
Aponogeton bulbs
Lily bulbs
Cryptocoryne balansae
Skip the single, it's not enough. The double would work with the plants you have, I had the double and it worked for everything on your list, although I'm not sure about the needle leaf fern , not familiar with it. If you don't mind a dark end or slightly dark ends you can get away with undersizing the fixture with the marineland... Buy a 36" and it fits a 48" tank with extendable legs. I did that with java fern and crypts in the dark end with a 24" over a 30" tank and the fixture is completely off to one side.

If you are not going to have surface plants that fixture would provide enough light for all but the most light needy stuff... I have a thick mat of surface plants so I stepped it up to the plant light system, seriously more money than the Doublebright though.

Jeff


Total years fish keeping experience: 7 months, can't start counting in years for a while yet.

The shotgun approach to a planted tank with an LED fixture

Small scale nitrogen cycle with a jar, water and fish food; no substrate, filter etc
JDM is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 07-14-2013, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Skip the single, it's not enough. The double would work with the plants you have, I had the double and it worked for everything on your list, although I'm not sure about the needle leaf fern , not familiar with it. If you don't mind a dark end or slightly dark ends you can get away with undersizing the fixture with the marineland... Buy a 36" and it fits a 48" tank with extendable legs. I did that with java fern and crypts in the dark end with a 24" over a 30" tank and the fixture is completely off to one side.

If you are not going to have surface plants that fixture would provide enough light for all but the most light needy stuff... I have a thick mat of surface plants so I stepped it up to the plant light system, seriously more money than the Doublebright though.

Jeff
LED Pent 48" Timer 6500K Aquarium Light Freshwater Fish Plant 280X 20W 120 Cm | eBay

i'm going with this one
orador223 is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 07-14-2013, 09:50 PM
JDM
Member
 
JDM's Avatar
 
Well, the wattage and colour temp are good.... I couldn't find any official site other than resellers to find any actual stats.

Jeff.


Total years fish keeping experience: 7 months, can't start counting in years for a while yet.

The shotgun approach to a planted tank with an LED fixture

Small scale nitrogen cycle with a jar, water and fish food; no substrate, filter etc
JDM is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 07-14-2013, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Well, the wattage and colour temp are good.... I couldn't find any official site other than resellers to find any actual stats.

Jeff.
Yeah this is a china brand but people say they get good results
orador223 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 07-14-2013, 11:56 PM
Member
 
BarbH's Avatar
 
You might want to check out the finnex fugeray. I have one on my 72 gallon that I have been very pleased with. The fixture puts me into the high end of low lighting going in medium lighting. Coverage in the tank is good with no dark spots. I do use fliating plants in my tank. Also to note when looking at Led lighting par is used instead of watts. If you are interested in more info about led lighting I can point you tosome helpful information for making a decision. One of the other forums I am apart of has a good thread on comparing par of different fixtures and how well it may work for a planted tank.
BarbH is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 07-15-2013, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbH View Post
You might want to check out the finnex fugeray. I have one on my 72 gallon that I have been very pleased with. The fixture puts me into the high end of low lighting going in medium lighting. Coverage in the tank is good with no dark spots. I do use fliating plants in my tank. Also to note when looking at Led lighting par is used instead of watts. If you are interested in more info about led lighting I can point you tosome helpful information for making a decision. One of the other forums I am apart of has a good thread on comparing par of different fixtures and how well it may work for a planted tank.
The finnex fugeray is $130, that is putting me way over what i already am hesitant about spending. I'm thinking about going with either that one that i posted earlier or the current satellite 48" don't know which to go with. Most of these don't have PAR listed either
orador223 is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 07-15-2013, 12:35 AM
Member
 
BarbH's Avatar
 
You might want to check this link LED Lighting Compendium. Not sure if they will have info on the china fixture, but I amsure they have info for the current usa fixture
BarbH is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 07-15-2013, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbH View Post
You might want to check this link LED Lighting Compendium. Not sure if they will have info on the china fixture, but I amsure they have info for the current usa fixture
I'm going to go with the current satellite plus version, it's more expensive than all of these, but so much more worth it. People say it works great in the low tech planted tank too.
orador223 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 07-17-2013, 11:48 PM
Member
 
I was going to say the Finnex Ray 2 DS but if the Fugeray is too much for you, then you have other options obviously but remember you get what you pay for. Yes upfront they cost a bit but over time, they end up saving hundreds, less power used, less heat, no bulb changing yearly and very low profile. You can always save up your pennies to go with quality and reputation. Just don't get something that you will regret later.
flight50 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this a good light for a planted tank? jentralala Beginner Planted Aquarium 4 10-10-2012 12:52 PM
What type of light fixture should I use for 10g planted trit0n2003 Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 14 04-24-2011 02:50 AM
20L planted light fixture revamp (pic heavy) beetlebz Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 9 03-01-2010 08:37 PM
Light fixture for 29 gal. planted tank Kim Beginner Planted Aquarium 1 10-06-2008 12:19 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome