Suggestions for light / substrate.. - Page 4
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Beginner Planted Aquarium » Suggestions for light / substrate..

Suggestions for light / substrate..

This is a discussion on Suggestions for light / substrate.. within the Beginner Planted Aquarium forums, part of the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium category; --> Originally Posted by jennesque Ok. I didn't think what he was saying made sense. I think he misunderstood me.. I did mention to him ...

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Suggestions for light / substrate..
Old 06-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #31
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennesque View Post
Ok. I didn't think what he was saying made sense. I think he misunderstood me.. I did mention to him I assumed the GH and KH were both low because a way long time ago I was trying to change the pH and it was going crazy. I guess he thought I was still messing with it or something. That's the first advice from him that seems completely off though so I don't want to make it too obvious I didn't listen to him. They're still one of the best stores in my state so I want to stay on their good side. They hook me up from time to time. :) what struck me as strange too is that AquaVitro's product that raises KH is just potassium, and although it's from a different source than Premier, and also a bit higher of a dose, it made no sense to me to just add more potassium. I
m happy with where my pH is, I don't really want to bother with trying to change it anyways.

I saw there were quite a few different products that Brightwell sells that seem to change the GH. Am I just looking for something with Calcium, Manganese, Magnesium, and possibly potassium? Or do I need anything more? I thought that's what Equilibrium had. I know mineralize has those ingredients except the potassium.

Should I just hold off to see if any problems arise with the new plants? I can remove the anubias if they're the only ones not working in the tank... or are more problems just inevitable?
Posted via Mobile Device
My suggestions earlier in this thread to go slow and observe before changin more were made before we knew the GH is <1 dGH as you've now tested. Thus you do need to add the hard minerals somehow. Equilibrium will do this, as will the several products in AV, and the BA line [haven't looked at that yet in detail, but if you are seriously thinking of using BA let me know and I will].
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #32
 
jennesque's Avatar
 
OK. I think for now at least I will probably try either AV's mineralize or a BA product. They seem to have three, and all three seem to do pretty much the same thing at first glance. Two are liquid, one is a powder.. one is for planted tanks, the other two are for RO water, or very soft water.. Just Googling for a minute I saw some people on the Planted Tank forum prefer Reminerliz-P to equilibrium, and that's the powder.. But there are probably people who prefer Equilibrium too.

If you feel like looking into them you sure can. It'd be appreciated if you've got a free moment. They apparently have most of the details on their website but I'm just on my smart phone right now... I don't feel like looking at them too much on a tiny screen. I had glanced over them at the store yesterday and they all seemed fairly similar.

I may just end up seeing which seems worth it as far as the dosage requirements compared to the container. I think Mineralize requires like a whole capful a week if I remember correctly.
Posted via Mobile Device
jennesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #33
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennesque View Post
OK. I think for now at least I will probably try either AV's mineralize or a BA product. They seem to have three, and all three seem to do pretty much the same thing at first glance. Two are liquid, one is a powder.. one is for planted tanks, the other two are for RO water, or very soft water.. Just Googling for a minute I saw some people on the Planted Tank forum prefer Reminerliz-P to equilibrium, and that's the powder.. But there are probably people who prefer Equilibrium too.

If you feel like looking into them you sure can. It'd be appreciated if you've got a free moment. They apparently have most of the details on their website but I'm just on my smart phone right now... I don't feel like looking at them too much on a tiny screen. I had glanced over them at the store yesterday and they all seemed fairly similar.

I may just end up seeing which seems worth it as far as the dosage requirements compared to the container. I think Mineralize requires like a whole capful a week if I remember correctly.
Posted via Mobile Device
On the Brightwell line, I would say that you will need FlorinMulti [which is comparable to Flourish comprehensive] and Florin Delta GH+ which is akin to Equilibrium. Whether anything needs increasing beyond this would depend upon the plants' response after a couple weeks. I'll let you work out the cost analysis.

I see the Brightwell products do come in the larger sizes too, but so far i have ot found a Canadian online retailer. The two i use carry the Flourish larger sizes, but only the standard Brightwell. And that makes it much more expensive.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #34
 
jennesque's Avatar
 
Alright, that's what I picked up today. I think that was actually the only one they ended up having available other than mineralize anyways. I'll probably either start ordering it online or see if they can order a larger size for me if this stuff ends up doing the trick.

I'm assuming it's fine if I continue to use Flourish. I haven't run out of that yet. :)

Brightwell are the ones who sell the Blackwater stuff I was talking about. I don't think I'll try that stuff unless it goes on sale.

I've got to find a metric measuring cup set so I can start figuring out dosing. I've got to try to figure out about how much water I've actually got in the tank too.
Posted via Mobile Device
jennesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #35
 
jennesque's Avatar
 
OK.. so how gradually should I be adding this stuff.

It says to figure out the dose, divide the desired change in GH by 4.7 and then to multiply that figure by the volume of water.. I'm assuming I've got somewhere around like 23-25 gallons of water in the 28 gallon (completely guessing). If I want the GH to be.. say.. 3 I think I should be adding around 14grams. That seems like a lot though..

I think you'd said to try to work it up to where I have 4GH right before the water change.. so I'm assuming it takes a few weeks to figure out how much to get to that point, but I don't want my fish to be going into shock or anything.
Posted via Mobile Device
jennesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #36
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennesque View Post
OK.. so how gradually should I be adding this stuff.

It says to figure out the dose, divide the desired change in GH by 4.7 and then to multiply that figure by the volume of water.. I'm assuming I've got somewhere around like 23-25 gallons of water in the 28 gallon (completely guessing). If I want the GH to be.. say.. 3 I think I should be adding around 14grams. That seems like a lot though..

I think you'd said to try to work it up to where I have 4GH right before the water change.. so I'm assuming it takes a few weeks to figure out how much to get to that point, but I don't want my fish to be going into shock or anything.
Posted via Mobile Device
Using the calculation on their website, I come up with 18 grams. Do they supply a measurer?

I arrived at this by starting with raising the GH by 4 dGH from 1 to 5. So 4 divided by 4.7 is .85..., then .8 X 23 gallons is 18.4 or 18 grams.

Add this today. Test GH tomorrow (not sure how long these products take to fully enter the water) and then right before the next water change.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #37
 
jennesque's Avatar
 
They didn't supply a measurer.. I've got one that's 7grams that came with my french press coffee maker.. I guess for now I will add two scoops and a bit of another.

Should I add this to like a bottle of conditioned water, shake/stir it up until dissolved, and then pour that in?
Posted via Mobile Device
jennesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #38
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennesque View Post
They didn't supply a measurer.. I've got one that's 7grams that came with my french press coffee maker.. I guess for now I will add two scoops and a bit of another.

Should I add this to like a bottle of conditioned water, shake/stir it up until dissolved, and then pour that in?
Posted via Mobile Device
Should be instructions. Here's the technical blurb on their website that mentions all this.
Brightwell Aquatics - Florin Delta GH+

Err on the side of caution and do less if you're not sure of the measuring. A gradual increase is better all round.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #39
 
jennesque's Avatar
 
.....OK. so, I messed up. Didn't get the tap water myself Sunday cause I was on the floor surrounded by fish stuff. The boyfriend got me filtered water, thinking I was drinking the water. He wasn't listening to me babbling about what I was doing.. lol. So, my tap GH is actually 3GH.. tested it again tonight when I tested the GH after putting in 7 grams or the Delta GH+.. I was nervous about adding the whole thing and that ended up being a great thing.

I'm not worried about the fish.. I hope they don't go into any kind of shock. They all seem completely normal. All very colorful and active.

So, when I initially tested the water tonight after my "half" dose it took 10 (!!!) drops to change the water. I've done two separate three gallon PWCs and both times I've got 7 drops.. should I still do more water changes? I don't know how effective it is.. and I also don't know if more will dissolve into the water or anything.

Eek. I've got to do everything myself and I should've tested the water again before adding anything... I feel terrible for the poor fish. I'm sure my snails love it.
Posted via Mobile Device
jennesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #40
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennesque View Post
.....OK. so, I messed up. Didn't get the tap water myself Sunday cause I was on the floor surrounded by fish stuff. The boyfriend got me filtered water, thinking I was drinking the water. He wasn't listening to me babbling about what I was doing.. lol. So, my tap GH is actually 3GH.. tested it again tonight when I tested the GH after putting in 7 grams or the Delta GH+.. I was nervous about adding the whole thing and that ended up being a great thing.

I'm not worried about the fish.. I hope they don't go into any kind of shock. They all seem completely normal. All very colorful and active.

So, when I initially tested the water tonight after my "half" dose it took 10 (!!!) drops to change the water. I've done two separate three gallon PWCs and both times I've got 7 drops.. should I still do more water changes? I don't know how effective it is.. and I also don't know if more will dissolve into the water or anything.

Eek. I've got to do everything myself and I should've tested the water again before adding anything... I feel terrible for the poor fish. I'm sure my snails love it.
Posted via Mobile Device
What is the GH now?
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suggestions about Eco system substrate? GwenInNM Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 10-22-2011 04:57 PM
Will these plants work with this light and substrate Clubber Beginner Planted Aquarium 17 07-20-2011 03:13 PM
Substrate for 55g low light Jasey Beginner Planted Aquarium 14 02-29-2008 06:50 PM
substrate and light porksnorkel Beginner Planted Aquarium 10 08-23-2007 09:16 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 AM.