Second lighting fixture on 44g? - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Beginner Planted Aquarium » Second lighting fixture on 44g?

Second lighting fixture on 44g?

This is a discussion on Second lighting fixture on 44g? within the Beginner Planted Aquarium forums, part of the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium category; --> It looks really nice Austin! Your Red Tiger Lotus will bounce back. You'll probably lose the leaves you see but it'll grow new ones ...

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Second lighting fixture on 44g?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #11
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
It looks really nice Austin! Your Red Tiger Lotus will bounce back. You'll probably lose the leaves you see but it'll grow new ones in no time at all. Who did you order your plants from??
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #12
 
Austin's Avatar
 
Thanks Kymmie. :D

Oh, and, Sweetaquatics of course! :)
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #13
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Thanks Byron, So you think I shouldn't get the light yet? I just didn't know, whether this light will be enough for all the plants I ordered, or if I need another light to support growth at all. How will I tell if the plants are not getting enough light?

Also, a totally random question, but do you think my leopard val will be ok in low light cus it's kinda in the shaded back area but I want it as a background plant, but idk if it will get enough light.


By the way, I got my plants! :D Everything came nice as usual, except the red tiger lotus seemed a tiny bit beaten up. :( But hopefully it perks up!

The internal filters come tomorrow.
That looks quite nice Austin. The plants will settle down and fill up the space, some of them quite a bit. I personally think the light is adequate, provided you are using a liquid fertilizer which I think we've discussed previously so won't repeat all that.

If the plants have sufficient light and nutrients they will photosynthesize (grow), in other words be alive and increasing in size even if very slowly. This is how you tell that everything is balanced. If the plants start developing yellow/brown leaves something is missing. But don't fret over that, since some plants will naturally lose all their existing leaves when moved into a new environment.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #14
 
Austin's Avatar
 
Hey byron,

Thanks for the advice. ^_^ I guess if stuff starts getting yellow/brown and I'm using a liquid fertilizer and have the eco-complete substrate (I won't need root tab right away will I?) maybe that will be when/if I need a new light? I'll let you know if it happens I guess - hopefully it doesn't! The light originally was in the more upfront slot but I think I'm going to keep it in the second slot in which is more in the middle I think and will get the valisneria in the back.

How long do you think I should run the lights in my 44g tank to start with?

Also, kinda off topic but my algae issues are not going away in my 29g they are getting a tiny bit worse I think. (hair algae is spreading a bit)... I might need some help with that soon... if you don't mind... =x
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #15
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Hey byron,

Thanks for the advice. ^_^ I guess if stuff starts getting yellow/brown and I'm using a liquid fertilizer and have the eco-complete substrate (I won't need root tab right away will I?) maybe that will be when/if I need a new light? I'll let you know if it happens I guess - hopefully it doesn't! The light originally was in the more upfront slot but I think I'm going to keep it in the second slot in which is more in the middle I think and will get the valisneria in the back.

How long do you think I should run the lights in my 44g tank to start with?

Also, kinda off topic but my algae issues are not going away in my 29g they are getting a tiny bit worse I think. (hair algae is spreading a bit)... I might need some help with that soon... if you don't mind... =x
You will not need root tabs with Eco-complete; that is a nutrient substrate and according to the manufacturer will last for some time [they probably say indefinitely, but that is a claim I can't accept, but nevertheless it will last a long time]. However, this does not eliminate the need for liquid fertilizer which serves a slightly different purpose.

Yes, the light should be middle, not only for even light distribution but aesthetically it creates a better display. I would start with 12 hours a day (use a timer).

I don't remember the issues/specifics on the 29g, but algae occurs due to too much light. In other words, the plants can't use the light because the nutrients don't balance, so they stop at the point when the nutrients are gone and algae takes over using the light beyond that. When I set my tanks up, I started with 13 hours of light and worked it back to the present 11 hours solely due to algae.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #16
 
Sweet Aquatics's Avatar
 
Austn,
Tank is looking good. I must admit I hate shipping tiger lotus. They are so touchy and fragile. Let me know how it does.
Dan
Sweet Aquatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #17
 
Austin's Avatar
 
Thanks, Byron for all the help. :) I appreciate it immensely.

This tank always had a lot of algae. (Mostly brown diatoms for some reason all over the glass, and I didn't even run the lights a lot, that's why I think natural light is quite a bit, but i don't know). Hopefully the plants and otocinclus catfish can combat this a bit. But with the plants this shouldn't probably be a problem anymore unless I run the lights too long, right (or something else is out of balance)?

Also, Dan, tiger lotus do seem like a very fragile plant! So I can understand shipping probably took a toll on it a bit. Oh well, I will let you know how it does. :)
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #18
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
This tank always had a lot of algae. (Mostly brown diatoms for some reason all over the glass, and I didn't even run the lights a lot, that's why I think natural light is quite a bit, but i don't know). Hopefully the plants and otocinclus catfish can combat this a bit. But with the plants this shouldn't probably be a problem anymore unless I run the lights too long, right (or something else is out of balance)?
Diatoms (brown algae) is very common in new tanks, which means during the first few months until the tank is stable. Thereafter you should not see it. Otos and most "algae" eating fish like Farlowella, Whiptails, plecos will eat diatoms. Once the tank is in balance, you won't (hopefully) see diatoms again; it is said to occur with too little light so something the opposite of regular algae.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #19
 
Austin's Avatar
 
Too little light? Also the tank has been running for like 5 years. (Though, I've had it in 3 different homes, 1 a rental.) I've washed it out recently, so maybe that is why, but I think I had a lot even before I washed it out and had it up for a few years.
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #20
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Too little light? Also the tank has been running for like 5 years. (Though, I've had it in 3 different homes, 1 a rental.) I've washed it out recently, so maybe that is why, but I think I had a lot even before I washed it out and had it up for a few years.
Here's a link to some info on algae, click on the brown.
http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/algae.htm#brown

Here's another, in much greater detail.
http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/

But as an advance warning, don't jump to conclusions about the light just because diatoms occur with less light; there is still that balance that is probably out, and that has to be resolved. "Silicates" is the mineral issue I couldn't remember the other day (not sure if it was this thread or another...). B.

Last edited by Byron; 05-19-2010 at 07:32 PM..
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY LED Lighting Fixture keno Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 12 10-31-2011 12:00 PM
lighting fixture for two independent bulbs? stephanieleah Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 11 02-10-2010 03:16 PM
28" Lighting Fixture and 23" tubes HollyinWA Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 29 01-25-2010 03:05 PM
Options for Lighting when the Hood has No Fixture glosrob Beginner Planted Aquarium 9 01-15-2010 07:52 AM
Is this lighting fixture (satellite PC) sufficient? It'sJames Saltwater Aquarium Equipment 2 04-05-2008 11:31 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 AM.