We've been without power for over 48 hours. It came up for about 30 minutes earlier, so I thought all was well - but it went right back out again, and has been out since then. . .
(posted another thread seeking advice on the other life-forms here
- any help appreciated!)
The 3 tanks are in a room that is kept brightly lit from the windows. There is no direct light on the tanks - and of course the hood lights have been off for 2 days. My understanding is that during daylight hours, the plants photosynthesize - absorbing toxins/nutrients and releasing oxygen. At night, they stop the process of photosynthesize, and also stop releasing oxygen. . . but continue to respirate - thus removing oxygen from the water.
Obviously, with no power, I've been trying to figure out what my plants are doing in there - are they helping the situation, or making things harder? Could there be enough ambient daylight in the room to 'wake' the plants up and cause them to start photosynthesizing?
In this situation, are my plants adding oxygen or taking it away . . .and *if* the beneficial bacteria is dying off due to lack of oxygen, is the plant-life 'awake' enough to help absorb any toxins that might be present in a tank thrust into a new cycle?
I have one more random question to ask. . .
When the power came up for a brief time earlier today, I noticed that there was far more algae in my tank than there was before the power outage. I've been battling a mild infestation of black brush algae for a few weeks now, and had almost eradicated it except for a few bits of what I assumed to be the thread-like version of this type of algae. It looks like wispy little hairs, and was almost entirely gone, but for a few threads on the grassy plants closest to the top of the water (and the lights)
Somehow this algae has flourished and spread a ridiculous amount over the last 2 days - I've been doing very frequent small water changes, and the tank lights have been off.
Is it the lack of water circulation that has caused it to get so awful so quickly? I can't think of anything else it could be - but with such low light compared to normal? Please, someone! Explain this to me!
And THEN, I beg you, tell me how do I get rid of it?
Thanks always for any advice you can offer! I really appreciate the guidance!