Overdose Course Of Treatment
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Beginner Planted Aquarium » Overdose Course Of Treatment

Overdose Course Of Treatment

This is a discussion on Overdose Course Of Treatment within the Beginner Planted Aquarium forums, part of the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium category; --> I accidently overdosed my tank for a number of weeks with Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and I wanted to get some input on how I'm ...

Like Tree1Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Overdose Course Of Treatment
Old 10-25-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
 
Overdose Course Of Treatment

I accidently overdosed my tank for a number of weeks with Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and I wanted to get some input on how I'm doing treating it.

I have added no fertilizer since I found out about this. Did 2 50% water changes over the past 2 weeks. I plan to do one 50% tomorrow and another on Saturday, and I will then resume dosing at the right dose. I also plan to dilute the Flourish Comprehensive with distilled water to a point where it's easier to measure for my 10g tank.

I have had a case of Hair Algae but it looks like it's getiing better, less mass. The plants are perking up too. The sword has put up 3 new leaves in the past couple of weeks. Very different.

Thanks for any comments.
equatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:16 AM   #2
 
rjordan390's Avatar
 
You do not have to dilute the Flourish Comprehensive and it may not be recommended by Seachem. The rate of application is 5ml per 60 gallons; which is 0.083 ml per gallon X 10 gallons = 0.83 ml as your correct dose. The easiest way to measure the dose is to use a baby syringe. Look at the increments on the syringe. It is marked in ml with five increments for each ml. This is the type I see in the drug chains and supermarkets.
The fourth increment represents 0.80 ml which is close enough for your dose. ( IF-SEE BELOW ).

Seachem recommends that when dosing, use the tank volume and not its rated capacity.
If you measure your inside tank dimensions from the waterline to the surface of your substrate;
(length X width X Height in inches) will give you the cubic inch area. Divide that by 231 will give you the volume in gallons.
You now have the true tank volume to dose accurately.

You did the right thing with water changes.
rjordan390 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjordan390 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
 
fish monger's Avatar
 
I seem to remember reading from one of our well respected members that he uses well over the suggested dosage in his ten gallon tank. Just mentioning this to try to alleviate concern. If the animals are OK, it's probably no harm, no foul.
fish monger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fish monger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
 
rjordan390's Avatar
 
That may be but not all tanks are the same. Some plants use more fertilizer, some less. Its most likely due to their growth rate and size. I believe that is why Seachems instructions say 5 ml per 60 gallons once or twice a week. The poster says he/her overdosed. My reply will put him/her back on track. Then experience will determine whether to increase or decrease the dose.
rjordan390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Don't know if I am the member you're thinking of, but I certainly overdose my 10g. I dose Flourish twice weekly now, and in the 10g it is about 1/2 a teaspoon each dose, not quite level. I have two 10w CFL Daylight bulbs over this tank for 8 hours, and it is full of moss on wood, a few pygmy swords, and a floating Water Sprite. Problem algae is non-existant in this tank. Fish are only 3 Farlowella fry at present, so common algae would be welcomed for them.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
 
fish monger's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Don't know if I am the member you're thinking of, but I certainly overdose my 10g. I dose Flourish twice weekly now, and in the 10g it is about 1/2 a teaspoon each dose, not quite level. I have two 10w CFL Daylight bulbs over this tank for 8 hours, and it is full of moss on wood, a few pygmy swords, and a floating Water Sprite. Problem algae is non-existant in this tank. Fish are only 3 Farlowella fry at present, so common algae would be welcomed for them.

Byron.
Since you brought it up, you are the member I was thinking of, Byron

My reply was not intended to contradict anyone. I just meant to help alleviate any unnecessary anxiety over the situation.
fish monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish monger View Post
Since you brought it up, you are the member I was thinking of, Byron

My reply was not intended to contradict anyone. I just meant to help alleviate any unnecessary anxiety over the situation.
That's understood. I chimed in as I agree. Within reason, no harm will occur. B.
fish monger likes this.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
 
I just wanted to state how much I overdosed the tank. The directions on the Flourish Comprehensive bottle are 2.5 ml (1/2 capful/ 1/2 teaspoon) per 30 gallons once or twice a week. I am dosing a 10 gallon tank. I was dosing 1/2 teaspoon twice a week. So, at 30 gallons / 10 gallons, I was overdosing 300% per week for a long time.

I have 2 13w daylight CFLs over my tank, plenty of energy for my plants and the algae as well with all the fertilizer floating around. I know 2 13s may sound like a lot, but another member does the same thing with no algae. Unfortunately, I thought the algae was because of too much light and bought 4 10w CFLs. I also have a question in to Seachem about diluting Flourish Comprehensive by 3 with distilled water so it will be easier to dose.

Last edited by equatics; 10-25-2012 at 03:40 PM..
equatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo the Clownfish View Post
I just wanted to state how much I overdosed the tank. The directions on the Flourish Comprehensive bottle are 2.5 ml (1/2 capful/ 1/2 teaspoon) per 30 gallons once or twice a week. I am dosing a 10 gallon tank. I was dosing 1/2 teaspoon twice a week. So, at 30 gallons / 10 gallons, I was overdosing 300% per week for a long time.

I have 2 13w daylight CFLs over my tank, plenty of energy for my plants and the algae as well with all the fertilizer floating around. I know 2 13s may sound like a lot, but another member does the same thing with no algae. Unfortunately, I thought the algae was because of too much light and bought 4 10w CFLs. I also have a question in to Seachem about diluting Flourish Comprehensive by 3 with distilled water so it will be easier to dose.
This is not a problem, I mentioned that I put in 1/2 teaspoon twice a week.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:17 AM   #10
 
rjordan390's Avatar
 
Byron,
I am glad that Nemo started this thread because I believe that there is another Seachem product that determines whether one should increase the recommended dose of Flourish Comprehensive. The product is "Prime". For those of us who use this product may have overlooked that Prime de-toxifys heavy metals. Some of the ingrediants in Flourish are heavy metals.
So the questions are:
Can plants still use de-toxifyed metals? Yes/No or to what degree?
Is this the reason Seachem manufacturers other supplements like iron and trace elements to name two?
How can Flourish be a complete fertilizer if a fishkeeper uses Prime that affects the heavy metals that are listed in the Flourish?
Why does their Trace elements have more ingrediants then those listed in Flourish?
So this may be a reason why one needs to add a higher dosage beyond the recommendation or to use their Iron supplement and Trace elements to compensate.
I will contact Seachem with these questions. Your thoughts?
rjordan390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
fertilizer, overdose

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 PM.