Now that I have plants. What will I need now? - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Beginner Planted Aquarium » Now that I have plants. What will I need now?

Now that I have plants. What will I need now?

This is a discussion on Now that I have plants. What will I need now? within the Beginner Planted Aquarium forums, part of the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium category; --> 125 Gallon SA/CA Cichlid - 125 gallon Freshwater fish tank So Heres all the pictures of my tank. I hope these looks alright. Any ...

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Now that I have plants. What will I need now?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #11
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
125 Gallon SA/CA Cichlid - 125 gallon Freshwater fish tank

So Heres all the pictures of my tank. I hope these looks alright. Any suggestions are more than welcome. That last picture is a lovely little scratch I noticed, must have happened when I was cleaning up the tank last night, I hope I have nothing to worry about (it's not leaking, and it looks and seems like its more of a surface scratch, from the fake driftwood rubbing against it when cleaning), scratches are common...right?

Also let me know what some of them are. I know Amazon Swords, Anubias, and the Ludwigia, but whatever else I may have missed or dont know, let me know.
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:01 AM   #12
 
rhymon78's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinBos View Post
125 Gallon SA/CA Cichlid - 125 gallon Freshwater fish tank

So Heres all the pictures of my tank. I hope these looks alright. Any suggestions are more than welcome. That last picture is a lovely little scratch I noticed, must have happened when I was cleaning up the tank last night, I hope I have nothing to worry about (it's not leaking, and it looks and seems like its more of a surface scratch, from the fake driftwood rubbing against it when cleaning), scratches are common...right?

Also let me know what some of them are. I know Amazon Swords, Anubias, and the Ludwigia, but whatever else I may have missed or dont know, let me know.
looks great, real plants look so much better!!

one thing, you need to get that anubias out of the sand, the root system, and the long stem thing rhizome i think its called must not be planted in the substrate. it needs tying or attaching to a piece of driftwood or rocks. it'll die otherwise
rhymon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:38 AM   #13
 
Geomancer's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinBos View Post
Ok I appreciate that. Now none of these fertilizers and tabs affect the water parameters or fish do they?
Not if you follow the dosing on the bottle. It's strong stuff, 5 mL doses 60 gallons. So in my own 125 gallon tank I do two cap fulls (the cap is 5 mL). It can be used once or twice a week, but start with once a week and go from there.

Best time to use it is 24 hours after your weekly water change. Reason being some water conditioners detoxify heavy metals, which will negate some of the nutrients from flourish (for example Copper). After 24 hours, the water conditioner will be run out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymon78 View Post
Geomancer, hows your beauty coming along? haven't seen any new updates on the thread. bet things are coming along nicely eh?? any new pics on that?

Cheers.
It's going good, haven't added anything new since the school of Diamond Tetra. Everyone's alive and well, I'm getting trace amounts of Ammonia (0.25 ppm) so I'm not adding anything else to the tank for awhile to let that disappear.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #14
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymon78 View Post
looks great, real plants look so much better!!

one thing, you need to get that anubias out of the sand, the root system, and the long stem thing rhizome i think its called must not be planted in the substrate. it needs tying or attaching to a piece of driftwood or rocks. it'll die otherwise
Yeah I was reading up on some of the profiles, and noticed that. I will change the placing of it and wedge it between some rocks when I get home. I also was reading up on the Anubias on a cichlid website, and they stated this plant is perfect for cichlid tanks. They are much harders and have stronger leaves, so I may work on getting some more Anubias, and transfer some of these other plants to a 20gal that I have.

Back to the sratch I noticed, I hope this is not a big deal...right?
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
 
Geomancer's Avatar
 
If it's a surface scratch, no not a big deal. If it's a crack ... then yes and it will grow over time until it reaches an edge..
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #16
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomancer View Post
If it's a surface scratch, no not a big deal. If it's a crack ... then yes and it will grow over time until it reaches an edge..
Yeah looks much like a surface scratch. You can kind of tell due to the thickness of the glass, if you know what I mean.
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #17
 
rhymon78's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinBos View Post
Yeah I was reading up on some of the profiles, and noticed that. I will change the placing of it and wedge it between some rocks when I get home. I also was reading up on the Anubias on a cichlid website, and they stated this plant is perfect for cichlid tanks. They are much harders and have stronger leaves, so I may work on getting some more Anubias, and transfer some of these other plants to a 20gal that I have.

Back to the sratch I noticed, I hope this is not a big deal...right?
you can get lots of different anubias, some small, some really large. I have just got a large specimen, its rather nice!! I'll post a pic of it. the problem with Anubias is that it is susceptible to black beard algae if it is in direct light. I have a ton of BBa on my little Anubias as its constantly in full light. I have loads of floating plants now so in the end they will be in the shade. might be a problem for you if you don't have floating plants.... anyhoo, I hope thats not a crack dude!! that would suck.

heres my large Anubias I got the other week!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0810.jpg (80.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0804.jpg (62.5 KB, 20 views)
rhymon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #18
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymon78 View Post
you can get lots of different anubias, some small, some really large. I have just got a large specimen, its rather nice!! I'll post a pic of it. the problem with Anubias is that it is susceptible to black beard algae if it is in direct light. I have a ton of BBa on my little Anubias as its constantly in full light. I have loads of floating plants now so in the end they will be in the shade. might be a problem for you if you don't have floating plants.... anyhoo, I hope thats not a crack dude!! that would suck.

heres my large Anubias I got the other week!!
Yeah I have the anubias under the light, but it is not full exposed. When I get home, I will placed elsewhere. Also the scratch I think will be fine. Doest look like a crack or anything, but hey, I have a lifetime warranty on the tank.
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #19
 
Just wanna point out you have really low light on that tank. 54ish watts over a 125 gallon .
Mikaila31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #20
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaila31 View Post
Just wanna point out you have really low light on that tank. 54ish watts over a 125 gallon .
Ok so how much should I need? Like to stick with the fixtures themselves, but if I need to get new flourescent bulbs, which kind, the hight ouput t-8s?
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 AM.