New tank and new to live plants
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Beginner Planted Aquarium » New tank and new to live plants

New tank and new to live plants

This is a discussion on New tank and new to live plants within the Beginner Planted Aquarium forums, part of the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium category; --> Hello all I have been on and off this site for a long time and taken the advice of many with great results. I ...

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
New tank and new to live plants
Old 11-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
 
gatorsfan's Avatar
 
New tank and new to live plants

Hello all I have been on and off this site for a long time and taken the advice of many with great results. I wanted to share my new 56g high tank that I have planted and want to make sure that I am doing it right. I am not sure of the names of the plants because I cant find the paperwork I got when I bought them from my LFS. I also added a picture of my light bulb because even after reading Byrons right up I am still confused. Right now I only have gravel in the tank but I have some substrate on the way it is CARIBSEA ECO-COMPLETE PLANTED AQUARIUM SUBSTRATE . I guess I am looking for some advice on what you all think as my tank sits now. Do I need more light? Will the cloudy water go away? I am using a wet/dry sump filter. Here are some pics. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0164.jpg (60.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0165.jpg (72.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0166.jpg (64.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0167.jpg (65.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0168.jpg (62.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0169.jpg (33.2 KB, 56 views)
gatorsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
 
Geomancer's Avatar
 
The green on the left is I think Wisteria.
The two on the right are swords, two different species.

You are seeing the big sword switch from emersed (out of water) growth to submerged growth, that's why the old leaves (the ones on the outside of the crown) are starting to turn brown. You can cut those leaves off when the brown reaches the stem (the plant is transferring nutrients from the old leaves, to new leaves in the center of the crown).

The Marineland bulbs are 5100K or 5200K which is on the low side, but should still work. 6500K is better and what you should shoot for in a year (replace florescent lights every year).

Is there only one tube, or two? Your pictures look nice and bright.

White cloudy water is common in new tanks, it's a bacteria bloom. It will go away on its own.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
 
gatorsfan's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomancer View Post
The green on the left is I think Wisteria.
The two on the right are swords, two different species.

You are seeing the big sword switch from emersed (out of water) growth to submerged growth, that's why the old leaves (the ones on the outside of the crown) are starting to turn brown. You can cut those leaves off when the brown reaches the stem (the plant is transferring nutrients from the old leaves, to new leaves in the center of the crown).

The Marineland bulbs are 5100K or 5200K which is on the low side, but should still work. 6500K is better and what you should shoot for in a year (replace florescent lights every year).

Is there only one tube, or two? Your pictures look nice and bright.

White cloudy water is common in new tanks, it's a bacteria bloom. It will go away on its own.

The light fixture is a single bulb. I really want to grow some of the dwarf grass will this light work? If not can you please tell me what to get. Thank you!
gatorsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
 
Byron's Avatar
 
What are the tank dimensions? Need this to answer your light questions.

I gather you have ordered the Eco-Complete substrate; do you intend to replace the gravel with it? I would, as the mix will not look the best. Assuming you are getting the black, it will be fine on its own.

Are you using any fertilizers now? If yes, which and how often?

Agree with Geo on the plants. The reddish leaf stem at the left is Ludwigia. The swords are Echinodorus parviflorus "Tropica" (the low one) and the larger is probably Echinodorus bleherae in the emersed form. Both are in our profiles, as are the Wisteria and Ludwigia, so you can read more about them.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
 
gatorsfan's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
What are the tank dimensions? Need this to answer your light questions.

I gather you have ordered the Eco-Complete substrate; do you intend to replace the gravel with it? I would, as the mix will not look the best. Assuming you are getting the black, it will be fine on its own.

Are you using any fertilizers now? If yes, which and how often?

Agree with Geo on the plants. The reddish leaf stem at the left is Ludwigia. The swords are Echinodorus parviflorus "Tropica" (the low one) and the larger is probably Echinodorus bleherae in the emersed form. Both are in our profiles, as are the Wisteria and Ludwigia, so you can read more about them.

Byron.
The tank dimensions are 30W X 25H X 18D No fertilizers the tank has only been setup for three days now.
I was going to mix the gravel and the substrate but if thats not good then I wont. Thanks Byron!!!

Last edited by gatorsfan; 11-20-2012 at 07:20 PM..
gatorsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorsfan View Post
The tank dimensions are 30W X 25H X 18W
No fertilizers the tank has only been setup for three days now.
I was going to mix the gravel and the substrate but if thats not good then I wont. Thanks Byron!!!
I would not mix the substrates. If you are going for a natural appearance, the black alone with be good. Plant and fish colours will be brightest, and fish at their calmest over a dark substrate. Polka dot has its place, but not in a fish tank.

You need some nutrient supplementation for the plants. A liquid complete fert is essential; beyond that depends. Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement is what I use, and many others here [make sure it is the Comprehensive, they make various products under the Flourish name]. Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti is basically the same. Once or twice a week. This will be necessary with the Eco-complete too; I have Flourite in one tank, which is basically the same as EC, and I still need to dose fertilizers the same as in my sand and gravel tanks.

Light will suffice the swords. Wisteria, maybe. But if the light is not sufficient for Wisteria in the substrate, it will grow fine floating, so you can still use it. Ludwigia maybe, you will have to see. You mentioned dwarf grass, this will be trickiest of all. I use pygmy chain sword as the "dwarf" cover in my tanks, or one of the smaller crypts. If you are thinking the dwarf hairgrass and similar, you can try it but don't expect it to make it. More intense light will probably be necessary, but then you get into other issues with nutrient balancing. And usually CO2 becomes an issue. I have tried many plants over the years; I simply stay with what works in my tanks, given the light and then nutrients. And I rely solely on natural CO2.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
 
gatorsfan's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I would not mix the substrates. If you are going for a natural appearance, the black alone with be good. Plant and fish colours will be brightest, and fish at their calmest over a dark substrate. Polka dot has its place, but not in a fish tank.

You need some nutrient supplementation for the plants. A liquid complete fert is essential; beyond that depends. Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement is what I use, and many others here [make sure it is the Comprehensive, they make various products under the Flourish name]. Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti is basically the same. Once or twice a week. This will be necessary with the Eco-complete too; I have Flourite in one tank, which is basically the same as EC, and I still need to dose fertilizers the same as in my sand and gravel tanks.

Light will suffice the swords. Wisteria, maybe. But if the light is not sufficient for Wisteria in the substrate, it will grow fine floating, so you can still use it. Ludwigia maybe, you will have to see. You mentioned dwarf grass, this will be trickiest of all. I use pygmy chain sword as the "dwarf" cover in my tanks, or one of the smaller crypts. If you are thinking the dwarf hairgrass and similar, you can try it but don't expect it to make it. More intense light will probably be necessary, but then you get into other issues with nutrient balancing. And usually CO2 becomes an issue. I have tried many plants over the years; I simply stay with what works in my tanks, given the light and then nutrients. And I rely solely on natural CO2.

Byron.
Thank you Byron! I appreciate all your help and info! Hopefully it all works out!
gatorsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
 
gatorsfan's Avatar
 
Update week 2 and some more plants and new light!

Nova extreme T5H0
Flourish 2x weekly
50% water change

What do I do with the leaves that are transparent? Does my tank look like its doing ok? TYIA!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0179.jpg (93.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0180.jpg (71.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0181.jpg (72.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0182.jpg (69.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0183.jpg (65.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0184.jpg (43.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0185.jpg (34.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0186.jpg (40.1 KB, 32 views)
gatorsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
 
Byron's Avatar
 
On the dying leaves, I wold leave them a bit longer; some nutrients are moved by the plant from such leaves to aid in new leaf growth. Once the new growth (from the centre of the crown on the swords) is a bit more substantial, the outer dying leaves can be removed. I just bend them back from the crown, they usually come off fairly easily without pulling the plant up (try not to do this as the plants are new and not yet firmly rooted).

I see some algae forming on those low plants. Your light seems to have changed to a T5 HO, and this is quite an increase. What is the duration daily?

I strongly suggest floating plants. This will shade the light a bit, which will help control the algae plus provide some shade for the fish who will appreciate it.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i want to add live plants to my already established tank. Rip Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 18 02-05-2011 12:03 AM
New Tank - Live Plants or not HollyinWA Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 13 12-30-2009 09:07 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 AM.