New Plant - any information available?? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-04-2012, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
New Plant - any information available??

Does anybody have ANY information regarding Nomaphila Siamensis? I picked up a few at a LFS. There is very little information on the web about this plant. The fact that it is omitted from almost all listings of aquarium plants makes me nervous lol. I have checked all of my aquarium plant books which don't even reference the name. Thanks in advance.
waters is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 10-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
According to the International Index of Plants [which is an acknowledged "authority" for botanists] this name is doubtful.

Digging a bit further, I found a reference in Kasselmann [Aquarium Plants, by Dr. Christel Kasselmann] for the name Nomaphila corymbosa (Blume, 1826) as a synonymn of Hygrophila corymbosa. N. stricta (Vahl/Nees) is another synonym for the same species, H. corymbosa. The latter is in our profiles, click the shaded name for the info and photos.

The photos I found online certainly have the appearance of H. corymbosa, or very similar. I would have to check in with some of my plant associates to go further.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 10-04-2012, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
According to the International Index of Plants [which is an acknowledged "authority" for botanists] this name is doubtful.

Digging a bit further, I found a reference in Kasselmann [Aquarium Plants, by Dr. Christel Kasselmann] for the name Nomaphila corymbosa (Blume, 1826) as a synonymn of Hygrophila corymbosa. N. stricta (Vahl/Nees) is another synonym for the same species, H. corymbosa. The latter is in our profiles, click the shaded name for the info and photos.

The photos I found online certainly have the appearance of H. corymbosa, or very similar. I would have to check in with some of my plant associates to go further.

Byron.

Thanks Byron.....I wonder what makes this plant so "special" that it isn't commonly seen in the aquarium.
waters is offline  
post #4 of 5 Old 10-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by waters View Post
Thanks Byron.....I wonder what makes this plant so "special" that it isn't commonly seen in the aquarium.
Well, if it actually is H. corymbosa, then it is not special or uncommon, and someone is pulling the proverbial wool over some eyes. When i did a very quick search earlier, I noticed that no aquarium plant forumsésites came up, but only companies selling this plant--which may or may n ot be suggestive.

But, if there really is a plant species different from H. corymbosa it could be a new strain, a new discovery, or whatever. I will try to find some time in the next few days to dig around in my botanical sites and see what i can find as to the distinctness of this plant.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Well, if it actually is H. corymbosa, then it is not special or uncommon, and someone is pulling the proverbial wool over some eyes. When i did a very quick search earlier, I noticed that no aquarium plant forumsésites came up, but only companies selling this plant--which may or may n ot be suggestive.

But, if there really is a plant species different from H. corymbosa it could be a new strain, a new discovery, or whatever. I will try to find some time in the next few days to dig around in my botanical sites and see what i can find as to the distinctness of this plant.

Byron.
Thanks again Byron...it is strange that you can do a google image search for that name which returns a ton of pictures that match the plant that I have but if you search for information it returns next to nothing.
waters is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello all and thanks for all the information gatorsfan Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 01-01-2010 11:06 AM
Too much information willow Off Topic Discussions 2 04-23-2008 01:06 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome