Neon Tetra - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-04-2011, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Neon Tetra

Hello!
I wanna know what is the natural environment of Neo Tetra look.
How to organize my aquarium? [with tree roots \ live plants and rocks]
I wanna to do the perfect tank for Neon Tetra.
Can someone bring me some pictures of they on wild? on the river please?
JakeAvraham is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 10-04-2011, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
I forgot to mention my tank is 15 gallons [60 Liters], panoramic triangular
JakeAvraham is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 10-04-2011, 01:42 PM
New Member
 
Santaclaws's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeAvraham View Post
I forgot to mention my tank is 15 gallons [60 Liters], panoramic triangular
This should help http://ktcatspost.blogspot.com/2008/...s-in-wild.html

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile,
a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment,
or the smallest act of caring,
all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Dr. Leo Buscaglia

Last edited by Santaclaws; 10-04-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Santaclaws is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 10-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
That's a video I myself have posted quite some time ago. Those fish actually are not neon tetra (Paracheirodon innesi), they are the false neon, Paracheirodon simulans. You can read and see the differences in our respective profiles. This is yet another example of the confusion using common names that can mean something different to different people. The false Neon is closer physiologically to the cardinal (Paracheirodon axelrodi) than it is to the neon, according to DNA analysis. Regardless, this is an example of one type of habitat, from Venezuela. But for the true Neon, you might want to go further south, into Peru.

I posted a link to a whole slew of photos on the Rio Ucayali in the Peruvian Amazon the other day in a thread on fish of that river. The true Neon is found in the Peruvian Amazon including parts of this river. Generally you would want very dim lighting, with floating plants. Sand or fine gravel substrate, chunks of bogwood and branches, leaves on the substrate. Here's a link to another series of photos on another tributary of the R. Ucayali:
Welcome to Martin and Toms Homepage
This is a slide show, I can't copy the photos, but if you click on the arrow in the upper right corner of the first photo it will continue with the series. The habitat water has a pH of 4.3, no hardness, no nitrate. It is a blackwater river, stained with tannins from the decaying vegetation.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

Last edited by Byron; 10-04-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Byron is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 10-04-2011, 02:52 PM
New Member
 
Santaclaws's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
That's a video I myself have posted quite some time ago. Those fish actually are not neon tetra (Paracheirodon innesi), they are the false neon, Paracheirodon simulans. You can read and see the differences in our respective profiles. This is yet another example of the confusion using common names that can mean something different to different people. The false Neon is closer physiologically to the cardinal (Paracheirodon axelrodi) than it is to the neon, according to DNA analysis. Regardless, this is an example of one type of habitat, from Venezuela. But for the true Neon, you might want to go further south, into Peru.

I posted a link to a whole slew of photos on the Rio Ucayali in the Peruvian Amazon the other day in a thread on fish of that river. The true Neon is found in the Peruvian Amazon including parts of this river. Generally you would want very dim lighting, with floating plants. Sand or fine gravel substrate, chunks of bogwood and branches, leaves on the substrate. Here's a link to another series of photos on another tributary of the R. Ucayali:
Welcome to Martin and Toms Homepage
This is a slide show, I can't copy the photos, but if you click on the arrow in the upper right corner of the first photo it will continue with the series. The habitat water has a pH of 4.3, no hardness, no nitrate. It is a blackwater river, stained with tannins from the decaying vegetation.

Byron.
Sometimes it quite confusing my bad I should have used the scientific name.

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile,
a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment,
or the smallest act of caring,
all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Dr. Leo Buscaglia
Santaclaws is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 10-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaclaws View Post
Sometimes it quite confusing my bad I should have used the scientific name.
Not a problem. The habitat info is still relevant.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 10-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Member
 
redchigh's Avatar
 
Agreed- Essentially-


No rocks. Use Driftwood for hardscape.
Place aquarium peat in the filter to provide tannins and stabilise PH. Use 1/2 - 2/3 distilled water if your tap water is too hard, or buy a RO unit.

For plants- Try a variety of mosses.

Do you want to match the actual species, or the appearence? Matching species that are nearby (but probably not actually with neons) you can try a variety of swordplants, and come stargrass, cabomba, ludwigea, or bacopa floating.

To match the appearance instead, I would use Vallisneria species and some small crypts (crypt wendtii 'green', or Crypt Willissi). Anubias Nana var Petit could bring the eye to the foreground, and looks like a terrestrial plant. (The amazon rises significantly in the wet season, so the fish would actually be swimming around terrestrial plants more often. Vallisneria, and Sag would mimic native grasses. Anubias is easy to grow and looks 'terrestrial' with it's waxy leaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christople View Post
^^ genius
__________________

Soil Substrates Guide:
Part 1
--------- Part 2

_____________________
redchigh is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Neon tetra ich I think help please Elvis Tropical Fish Diseases 28 01-22-2011 02:52 PM
Neon Tetra or Black Neon Tetra? Caliban Characins 15 11-01-2010 01:41 PM
Cardinal Tetra vs Neon Tetra paytheplayer Characins 12 12-14-2008 11:55 AM
Neon Tetra VS. Flame Tetra jr.masterbreeder Characins 13 01-12-2008 11:33 AM
Now what should I do with my Neon Tetra? Trishfish Tropical Fish Diseases 3 03-28-2007 08:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome