Lighting upgrade - Page 3 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 51 Old 01-20-2012, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaila31 View Post
Just cuz they are suppose to hang doesn't mean they have to...
Oh, I didn't know that. So I guess they will work. Now all need are glass tops.

55 gallon planted tank, starting over!!!( looking crappy, needs a major rescape)
Jayy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 51 Old 01-20-2012, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Would the lights be able to just lay on the glass? Would that be possbile or not. I can see this one working ok: http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fa...atalogId=10053

55 gallon planted tank, starting over!!!( looking crappy, needs a major rescape)

Last edited by Jayy; 01-20-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Jayy is offline  
post #23 of 51 Old 01-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
Would the lights be able to just lay on the glass? Would that be possbile or not. I can see this one working ok: Premium plus 2-light 49 in. Platinum Shoplight-PPS232RC at The Home Depot
I would think that will work. The fixture doesn't actually sit on the glass, but on the frame, and as this one is 49 inches and the tank is 48, it should sit on the frame easily. I'm referring to the ends; I like these fixtures near the middle of the tank but more back than front. But just the ends sit on the frame at the side ends of the tank. The glass will be lower down.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If youíre going to take it under your wing then youíre responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #24 of 51 Old 01-20-2012, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I would think that will work. The fixture doesn't actually sit on the glass, but on the frame, and as this one is 49 inches and the tank is 48, it should sit on the frame easily. I'm referring to the ends; I like these fixtures near the middle of the tank but more back than front. But just the ends sit on the frame at the side ends of the tank. The glass will be lower down.
Ok, thanks. If I get a different fixture will this still be true? Also what kind of lighting would this be high or moderate?

55 gallon planted tank, starting over!!!( looking crappy, needs a major rescape)

Last edited by Jayy; 01-20-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Jayy is offline  
post #25 of 51 Old 01-21-2012, 12:39 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
Ok, thanks. If I get a different fixture will this still be true? Also what kind of lighting would this be high or moderate?
Provided the fixture itself is the length of the tank or slightly over, should be fine. Nice thing abpout buying this at Home Depot (or presumably Lowe's, etc) is being able to return them if they don't.

With the two T8 daylight tubes you will be at the upper range of moderate which will allow for the majority of plants. Make sure some floating plants are included, and this will be bright to the fish.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If youíre going to take it under your wing then youíre responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:
Jayy (01-21-2012)
post #26 of 51 Old 01-21-2012, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Provided the fixture itself is the length of the tank or slightly over, should be fine. Nice thing abpout buying this at Home Depot (or presumably Lowe's, etc) is being able to return them if they don't.

With the two T8 daylight tubes you will be at the upper range of moderate which will allow for the majority of plants. Make sure some floating plants are included, and this will be bright to the fish.
Thank you sooooooooooo much Bryon, your the BEST!!!!!!

55 gallon planted tank, starting over!!!( looking crappy, needs a major rescape)
Jayy is offline  
post #27 of 51 Old 01-26-2012, 06:39 PM
New Member
 
I think I'm going to be picking up this same fixture soon. Did you get yours yet Jayy? Pictures of how it sits on the tank would be much appreciated.
rjwwrx is offline  
post #28 of 51 Old 01-26-2012, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwwrx View Post
I think I'm going to be picking up this same fixture soon. Did you get yours yet Jayy? Pictures of how it sits on the tank would be much appreciated.
No not yet, problemly next weekend. I'll be sure to post pics when I do.

55 gallon planted tank, starting over!!!( looking crappy, needs a major rescape)
Jayy is offline  
post #29 of 51 Old 01-29-2012, 01:16 PM
New Member
 
I ended up finding a decent looking fixture at wal-mart for ~$15. Lights of America dual T8 shop light. It's stainless steel with black endcaps. I took several pictures of how it sits on the tank because when I went looking I could never find any. I'm really happy with it and I don't think it looks bad at all. I'm running a GE 6500K daylight bulb and a GE 5000k sunlight bulb.







rjwwrx is offline  
post #30 of 51 Old 01-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Member
 
Geomancer's Avatar
 
Looks good to me, was that the only size they had?

I'd be interested in finding something like that for my 20g, but I'm not sure how common a 24" shop light would be since that's kind of small. I'd have to buy a glass cover though, the plastic one that came with the tank dosen't allow for anything bigger than the standard fixture it comes with.

Do you have to remove the light to feed them? Can't tell if yours is open or if it is covered with glass.
Geomancer is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome